Small saw noodling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t play with my heart [emoji23] I enjoy a good road trip. I’ll hook up to the fifth wheel and we can roll!!! Might be a lonely trip for me for a bit but it’ll pan out [emoji4]

Might want to double trailer on the way up. Not much room in your bed for wood when pulling a 5er

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Usually maple splits pretty darn easy. However I've got some large red maple that grew in the open, a little over 30" at the stump. The grain is crazy wavy and a total pain to split. I gave up and I'm blocking it all up.

I blocked a chunk with a little Pioneer 1074 yesterday. Only 51cc, but it did great. I was just trying it out though, usually use the 461 for noodling/blocking.
20200201_133024.jpg

Just take your time and cut a little bit and let the saw rest and cool down and don't try to do it all in one day.
I cut with my ms261 all day long on those big stump rounds with no issues at all. Keep the chain sharp and watch out for nails, close line hooks and any other metal like dog chains that may be burred in the wood. If you see black streaks in the wood, that is a dead give away there may be some metal somewhere in that area, Could be something as small and simple as a nail that got nailed in the tree at some point in it's life.
Who ever dropped the tree didn't finish the job if they left a 6 foot tall stump. Call them back and have them come finish the job.

OP I don’t know much about noodling with one of those saws but I’d trust what the others have said. If there’s no other option then I’d say give the saw a break in between. I personally like to give them a short break in between anyways but I have other toys...I mean saws to do the work during the down time. Maybe rotate back and forth between the two? Just take your time and don’t overload it for sure.

Around here most maples are tough to split once you get 10-15' from the stump. The pin oaks here are impossible to split by hand and the willow oaks are close to pin oaks. Red/white/chestnut oak aren't bad and chestnut oak may be the easiest tree to split. If you can't rent a saw, pick at the edges of the rounds w/ a maul till the round is manageable.

If you have a home depot near by rent the dolmar/makita 6400/6401 they have there. It comes as a 20" setup. With that said there are people that cut insane stuff with little tiny saws. I say just keep everything in good shape and don't push it. Good fresh fuel/quality oil/clean air filter/fuel filter/clean oiler holes,bar groove/oiler turned all the way up, SHARP CHAIN,dont push it, TUNED CORRECTLY. Everything should be fine just take your time. If you can get away with it I would try to fell that stump where you do the plunge cut in the back of the face cut. Then I would noodle it and cross cut it. Ripping sucks and produces tons of fines that plug everything up. I say tackle it with your small saws and post up the video! :chainsaw:

Don’t play with my heart [emoji23] I enjoy a good road trip. I’ll hook up to the fifth wheel and we can roll!!! Might be a lonely trip for me for a bit but it’ll pan out [emoji4]

Swing thru bama and pick me up, i stayed in the dallas fort worth area for a while. Work was boomin there but now its booming like crazy in north alabama. If you cant find a job here there is something wrong.

Screw the camper we are going to need 2 trailers(1 for saws and 1 for wood). We will have the whole forest bucked and middles in no time

Bring the horse trailer w living quarters so we can stay the night with em. We can still stack wood in it.

Best idea yet. This is about to become a side thread if y’all keep going! I need a good guys trip lol. And running saws...and guns... is the best way to do it!

Keep the chain sharp, and let the saws cool between fills.

I’ve cut a lot of big wood with both 42 cc Poulans and 211 Stihl. It will take time but you can do it.

Although if you post your location you may find a nearby AS member that will come out and help you with a larger saw.

Latest posts

Back