Small saw noodling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one and the other in the back round in the first pic are coming down. The main concern I had was the base of the big one. I work with th guys son that's taking them down hes going to cut it into 16" sections for me. Then I will have to rent a big splitter. I'm sure after cutting on it for a few days I will gladly take any help I can get lol.

Attachments

• 20200129_181401.jpg
    20200129_181401.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I have been debating letting them haul the trunk away but seems like there is alot of wood there. I wanted them wood for my little insert I run on weekends and was going to take care of it so the tree service is cheaper for my mom, but I have a bad feeling when both trees are down and I see the amount or wood I will quickly realize I bit off more than I can crew lol

If they’ve agree to cut the trunk into 16” sections then noodling the rounds with your small saws isn’t nearly as arduous of a task. Just keep the chain sharp and don’t horse the saw. Let it self feed. Swap saws or sharpen the chain when it stops self feeding. I’d probably richen the oil ratio to 32:1 and be sure to make sure the saws are properly tuned. Silver maple isn’t a dense wood so noodling isn’t too bad. Keep the saw bar at about a 45 degree angle to the grain so the noodles don’t get to long and jamb up under the clutch cover.

This one and the other in the back round in the first pic are coming down. The main concern I had was the base of the big one. I work with th guys son that's taking them down hes going to cut it into 16" sections for me. Then I will have to rent a big splitter. I'm sure after cutting on it for a few days I will gladly take any help I can get lol.

Cool that they will do that for ya.

In my experience when they say they’re going to cut them at 16 inches they will ALL be cut at 45° angles and somewhere around 10-25 inches long

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Cool that they will do that for ya.

In my experience when they say they’re going to cut them at 16 inches they will ALL be cut at 45° angles and somewhere around 10-25 inches long

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Lol I hope not. I hope to be there the day they do just to help out and get a head start on cutting it up. The service doing it is a local guy and j know his son well so I hope it all turns out good. If not i will supply beer and pizza and will be asking for help lol

Would it be doable with I vertical splitter or would I just be wasting time

Steel wedges and a sledge. Grab at least two wedges, preferably three.

Crack them into halves or even quarters and you should be able to get those to the splitter.

Most of the time, we can crack up the quarters with a sledge at worst or an axe at best. Only time we fire up the splitter is when we have a big nasty knot. Fun swinging axes around.

Latest posts

Back