Small saws for small trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo CS501P (for US&Canada)/ CS501SX (rest of the world) can be easily added more power by loosening two screws. Moreover, a 3/4" exhaust, more must be ported... from 3.5 HP stock can reach 5 HP.
At 5HP it can shoot 26" full. Stock (3.5HP) comes with a 20" blade/Oregon21LPX
Now I have the original bar (20", Tsumura with removable nose) with S35G chain tested in 24" dry beech and it does not stop, the chainsaw being stock (3.5HP).
Echo chainsaws are excellent, but in this part of the world there is no logistics for them, consumables cannot be found and they have to be imported, and here they cost 3 times the price.

Only 4 OZ. Difference between the 241 and the 261 ?
Yep PHO empty by owner. Like they weigh them at oem. Actual weight not some paper book specs wishing lighter.

Why if I was given a choice I would take the latest Gen of 261. You can run the 241 b+c set ups on the 261. Then you have 2 bar nuts and 50cc in same weights.

s241weight.jpgs261t2weight.jpg

I wouldn’t have given the anti-vibe any thought had it not been for this forum. I’d say it has a little more vibration than the Makita 4300.

I was surprised to see it’s idle speed is controlled by a knob, no tool necessary, and that the bar nuts aren’t captured.

The most pleasant surprise is how easy it is to pull and start.

It seems to have more power than the 4300 but I’m not sure if tuning can account for that.

Somewhere there’s a vid of Randy Mac dropping a 36” doug Fir with a 16” cs400…quite something. 😀
Back in 1980, I dropped and bucked 36 and 38" white ashes and smaller oaks with the 16" Super EZ. That was a great saw. Those Ashes were very tall. I got a 20' and 2 16s out of one log. the other was a 20, a 16 and an 8. The trick is to cut the notch the full depth of the bar. (has to be a sound, straight tree)

I have a cs490. seems to be a good saw except I have locked up the roller tips on 2 oem bars in about 30 hours of operation. I ran it last weekend with no problem what so ever. I pulled it out yesterday and fired it up and the tip was locked up tight. I have several echo saws and all have oem bars and no issues. cs300, cs3000, cs2511t and 2 cs355t but this 490 I just don't understand what the problem is. any ideas?

I would think about doing a close inspection instead of just unlocking the roller and putting it back to work. Some bars have little grease holes but no need in greasing something that is worn out.
What do you feel and see if you take the bar and chain off the saw and inspect the roller area while it's locked and then when it's unlocked?

Bio/eco chain oiler? Had simmilar problem on Husqvarna.....

Put oiling on MAX or tweak it (to oil more)

You will unlock that roller by forcefully driving it on wood...
I am getting ready to go the shop and see what I can see. I know the oiler is putting out a good amount of oil. thinking that the oil hole in bar is getting plugged up.

I would think about doing a close inspection instead of just unlocking the roller and putting it back to work. Some bars have little grease holes but no need in greasing something that is worn out.
What do you feel and see if you take the bar and chain off the saw and inspect the roller area while it's locked and then when it's unlocked?
I grease all of the bars on a daily bases when working. Some times if I am using one particular saw more I will grease it every other tank of fuel. I am going to the shop to check it out now. I will return with my findings.

Some bars have little grease holes but no need in greasing something that is worn out.
Are you one of those guys that still grease them lol.
I grease all of the bars on a daily bases when working. Some times if I am using one particular saw more I will grease it every other tank of fuel. I am going to the shop to check it out now. I will return with my findings.
If you grease them, you need to grease them an a normal basis. Or you can use brake parts cleaner to remove tue grease and then never grease them again.

I run my chains tight and haven't greased a bar tip on one of my saws in over 10yrs. The only bearing failure I've had on mine was from boring with an overly aggressive chain, 100% operator error.

Latest posts

Back