Snowmobiles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering how many have sleds they run. I got a 1996 Skidoo Touring Le 440f. Just had the oil pump fail last weekend. Waiting on parts now to put it back together.
Bob

I used to ride sleds, gets to be too expensive living in Indiana and driving to northern Michigan to enjoy. I used to have a Ski-Doo Formula III 700. It ran really good. Used to go up to Tip-up-town in Houghton lake, michigan. I think we made it 7 years straight before saying fark it!

I have had 4 machines. The Stihl dealer I worked for in the early seventies sold Coleman Company Skiroules. I had a S300,rt440,and srx440. Then he went into Evinrudes and I got a narrow track Evinrude 440 in 1975 if my memory is correct. It still sits at my Dad's house in a building, and except for being dusty, it is as if it is brand new. I probably only put 20 hours on it. It still has the original wear runners (skags?) on the skis. I haven't started it in years now, and would need the carb rebuilt, and gas lines. One day I want to get it going again for old time's sake.

Bob

I've got a 1998 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583, and a 1998 MXZ 440 Fan. Both have given no problems yet :knock on wood:

Well, except the 440. We brought it in for the full service, but the secondary clutch is seized to the jackshaft, :bang: and the local dealer and mechanics have done everything short of cutting the shaft to get it off with no avail. :bang: They sprayed a #### ton of rust penetrant and lubricant on it and said "Ride it, and maybe bring it in again and we'll see if it'll come off."

If it doesn't come off the next time I bring it in, there are three options to deal with it:

1. Ride til it doesn't move, then sell to someone who wants to fix it/part it out

2. Ride til season ends, bring it into the dealer, and fork out something like 1200 bucks for them to cut the jackshaft, and replace the jackshaft and put a new secondary on

3. Ride til it stops moving, and do all the work myself with parts from a salvage yard or swap meet

I think I'm going with 1. I plan to piss my money on a used Formula III 700 or something like that.

Sig has milage btw.

Used to have an Enticer 250 and an Enticer 340. When I was young (12) and stupid (stupid), I jumped the 250 off a huge snow mound and landed 12 feet from where I took off the mound. I figure I was about six to eight feet off the ground judging from the nearby foor-foot fence.

Landed so hard the chin bar of my helmet (thank God I was wearing that) hit the kill switch. I thought I broke the sled!! Stupid, young me! :laugh: Nope, my brother came out, hit the kill switch and pulled, started right up on the first pull.

You have no idea how scared I was of my dad coming home to see a broken sled in the front yard. I was so relieved that the snowmobile was okay. My mom was so relieved that I was okay. :) My dad was like HOLY ####!! when he counted the feet from takeoff to landing. He was slightly amused, and very happy that both the sled and I were okay.

Just wondering how many have sleds they run. I got a 1996 Skidoo Touring Le 440f. Just had the oil pump fail last weekend. Waiting on parts now to put it back together.
Bob

How many miles you got on it? I've got 8500 on my 440

Its got 7600 on it. Got the parts to put it back together now. But, no snow. So I am not in much of a hurry to get things back under the hood.
Bob

Its got 7600 on it. Got the parts to put it back together now. But, no snow. So I am not in much of a hurry to get things back under the hood.
Bob

Yeah, we're having the same problem with not enough snow here in western Michigan. :angry: Have not ridden the sleds once! :angry: I'm thinking I should've left them in their hiberation state for this season. :angry::angry:

I am about ready to get it fixed and head to TN tomorrow. My buddy down there east of memphis told me last night they are to get 8 inchs later sunday. Sure would freak everyone out down there to see snowmobiles flying around.LOL Sure would be a hoot. Also it would beat dieing of the heat when we visit down there in teh summer.
Bob

How many miles you got on it? I've got 8500 on my 440

Have you ever pulled the oil pump housing off the recoil and greased the pin the nylon gear and shaft run on? The OM never mentions a thing about greasing there. But, the SM does tell that it needs greased.
Bob

Have you ever pulled the oil pump housing off the recoil and greased the pin the nylon gear and shaft run on? The OM never mentions a thing about greasing there. But, the SM does tell that it needs greased.
Bob

No, but I would grease it, better to be safe than sorry. The only things I've repaired/replaced on my 440 is the axial fan belt, the chaincase fluid, and the little plastic air intake foam holding thingy on the hood in front of the speedometer

EDIT: and plugs of course...

EDIT #2: she still has 120 psi of compression in both cylinders!

Last edited:
No, but I would grease it, better to be safe than sorry. The only things I've repaired/replaced on my 440 is the axial fan belt, the chaincase fluid, and the little plastic air intake foam holding thingy on the hood in front of the speedometer

EDIT: and plugs of course..

AAAHHHH yes the fan belt. Isn't it strange how some thing like that can fail on them engines. When I first got from my friend that is what broke on the very first ride.
Bob

I ride a 04 ZR900
zrrico.jpg

I ride a 04 ZR900
zrrico.jpg

:jawdrop: Those things are fast, only sleds faster are Thundercat 1000's, Mach Z 1000's, and most heavily modded 700/800's. Did you put any performance goodies on it? SLP has a few good parts for that beast. I will say, I don't like Artic Cat for their hard starting (common with most, if not all of their sleds) Is your ZR hard to start? I.E. literally takes ten minutes to start, the Jag 440 I had was a ##### to start.

Have you heard of the new Z1 with the turbo? Almost 200 HP from the factory!!!!

Last edited:
That's a sharp sled. The last time I drove a sled, it was a John Deere 340 cyclone:cheers:

I always was amused by the looks of them old sleds, it's amazing how far they have come from the days of Sears, Rupp, Mercury, Scorpion and the hundreds of other brands that literally vanished in the mid 70's. My dad's first sled was a Yamaha XT? 440, the first snowmobile with oil injection.

Latest posts

Back