Snowmobiles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, it's quite tight in there... either way, the carbs/intake boots/airbox gotta be pulled... :bang: Anyone ever use a hair dryer to heat the carbs and fuel lines up? or is that a bad idea. :confused: I wonder if it would work.

It should work... I used a 100 watt light bulb once... turned it on and put a cover over the sled... came back about an hour later and it was thawed...

It should work... I used a 100 watt light bulb once... turned it on and put a cover over the sled... came back about an hour later and it was thawed...

Okay. I will look at the intake boots, and see if they're cracked. If they aren't, then I will thaw the carbs out and see if that fixes it.

One other quick thing to do... pull the gas lines off the carbs, point them away from anything important, and pull it over... see if you have gas squirting out... that will tell you if you have a decent supply of gas going to the carbs...

One other quick thing to do... pull the gas lines off the carbs, point them away from anything important, and pull it over... see if you have gas squirting out... that will tell you if you have a decent supply of gas going to the carbs...

Okay, will check that too, a bad fuel pump could be the issue. Thanks for the insight! :)

Okay, will check that too, a bad fuel pump could be the issue. Thanks for the insight! :)

I've seen pinholes in the diaphragm cause the high idle before

have also used the light bulb trick to warm up the area near my carbs before, but that was for ice in the throttle cable.. not a good thing to have her stuck wide open. Usually doesn't happen while I'm riding, but after stopping for a break and upon restarting it the ice would allow the throttle to open hitting the gas but not shut down... Thankfully it wasn't a crazy powerful sled. early 70's Suzuki XR400... It's just about scary on that unit at 20mph...

My high performance sled is an 89 Polaris Indy 500 SKS and I do like that thing in spite of it being over 20 years old.

One of these day's I might move somewhere that justifies a new sled, till then, just gonna have fun on my beaters.

no snow this year here except for about 5 inches over the new year..:disapointed:

goofy vid of the suzuki

[video=youtube;vHSw2FY_XO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSw2FY_XO0[/video]

I've seen pinholes in the diaphragm cause the high idle before

have also used the light bulb trick to warm up the area near my carbs before, but that was for ice in the throttle cable.. not a good thing to have her stuck wide open. Usually doesn't happen while I'm riding, but after stopping for a break and upon restarting it the ice would allow the throttle to open hitting the gas but not shut down... Thankfully it wasn't a crazy powerful sled. early 70's Suzuki XR400... It's just about scary on that unit at 20mph...

My high performance sled is an 89 Polaris Indy 500 SKS and I do like that thing in spite of it being over 20 years old.

One of these day's I might move somewhere that justifies a new sled, till then, just gonna have fun on my beaters.

no snow this year here except for about 5 inches over the new year..:disapointed:

goofy vid of the suzuki

[video=youtube;vHSw2FY_XO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSw2FY_XO0[/video]

Lol, dogs are funny. :laugh: My black lab is hilarious, she'll spontaneously run around in circles and speed around the yard when she's really excited... beware, in the dark, make sure your knees are bent, have had a close call with a hard hit... 55 pound lab running about 500 mph and knees are not meant for each other... don't want to end up crippled, lol. She's 8, and is still as happy and energetic as a dog can be. Gets a walk every day, and she gets two tablespoons of vanilla yogurt every morning, then gets two cups of Eukanuba at 4:00 every day. The yogurt makes her coat shine, and the Eukanuba, well, fills her up. lol She is quite small for a lab. No problem with me, the house really ain't big enough for a 80 or more pound dog anyway.

You got a lot of land there. Wow, wish I had that much acreage.

Snowmobiles015.jpg

Snowmobiles001.jpg

I went outside today, and took more pics, so I can put them on craigslist.

We ride:

2010 Tundra 550F

2008 Tundra 550F LT

Nothing fast, but they handle the woods up here better than anything else made, pull freight to the cabin and are air cooled for the warm spring days. My lake just went ice free last Friday. ;)

We ride:

2010 Tundra 550F

2008 Tundra 550F LT

Nothing fast, but they handle the woods up here better than anything else made, pull freight to the cabin and are air cooled for the warm spring days. My lake just went ice free last Friday. ;)

I keep hearing that in Alaska, you see more fan cooled Ski-Doos than anything else.

You may have read that I've got 8800 or so miles on the 440FC in the MXZ. Still at 120 psi in both cylinders. I'd say that's a damn long time for a two smoker, all it's eaten for oil is either Bombardier synthetic XP-S or Royal Purple synthetic snowmobile oil.

Never had to replace anything other than the fan belt, drive belt, and chaincase fluid. I dare say the little 440FC Rotax is an engine that should not be ignored when considering the purchase of a reliable sled that is older than the newer (still good) 550FC. Not to mention with some launch pads, she has plenty of power to get those skis three feet off the ground... :) Due to that kind of fun, I probably caused the secondary clutch to seize onto the shaft... so it may never come off... maybe we'll be surprised.

I think I will either rebuild this engine with mild porting, or just drop a 550 fan in. I thought about liquid cooled, but it'd be a bit of a pain to swap.

or a boat motor... hmm... maybe a Merc 80 hp v4? :D Lol, that probably would weigh the front down quite a bit, making the sled bad for powder that we tend to get drifted up around here.

I have heard good stuff about the 550 Fan. I wish I could get the new TNT with a 550 Fan... that would be a fun sled right there. :)

I got stuck like that with my 440 last winter... we had that little blizzard leave some nice 4 foot or more drifts all over the place...

Thankfully some fellow snowmobilers saw my situation, and between them, me, and pops, we got her unstuck. She was buried, I mean buried to the point that it would've taken at minimum of 30 minutes to get the thing dug out and moved if it was just me and dad doing the work.

Looks like you guys have fun up there in AK... bet you caught some nice fish outta that hole. :)

IMG_2308.jpg

My 800 summit laying on its side taking a rest We had great snow last year in Vt where I ride I only wish I was able to take more time off to go

I got stuck like that with my 440 last winter... we had that little blizzard leave some nice 4 foot or more drifts all over the place...

Thankfully some fellow snowmobilers saw my situation, and between them, me, and pops, we got her unstuck. She was buried, I mean buried to the point that it would've taken at minimum of 30 minutes to get the thing dug out and moved if it was just me and dad doing the work.

Looks like you guys have fun up there in AK... bet you caught some nice fish outta that hole. :)

After cutting down all the trees around it and the one ACROSS the SKIIS...... DERP. I had to walk back to the cabin and get my boy to get it moving. I wouldn't have been so stuck if I were on my old 300F Tundra as the track wouldn't have spun out.

No fish from that hole. High front going through.... but I HAD to try.

I missed one back in April....... 10 feet from the hole I lost him..... he was a fattie for sure! Best one for the winter was 13-15 pounds. No one around to help weigh him so I got him back in the water ASAP. Maybe next year!

Headed up tomorrow. Might have to try to pattern them. The lake is way above normal so it may be tough. Never had so much rain and good snow before.

Mike

Latest posts

Back