So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While at the repair shop this afternoon, a guy from another company came in (he doesn't climb) to pick up his saw. he & I got talking and before I knew it I was 35' up a black walnut removing a couple of large limbs from overhanging his customers garage and pool. A little rigging, redirecting and a little money at the end! :) HC

Actually,
yesterday, I left early to do 2 stump grinding jobs. then met the crew... did some clean up of the trucks, saws and shed etc.., left w crew to finished a tree job, leaving two men to grind stumps. Droped chipper battery to get charged at friends shop.
Took another man to drop a twin lead Norway maple and big linden at a freebie job for an old friend. Droped the maple, climbed and bombed the linden. Back to shop to make sure battery was charging... Back to grinding job, cut cyclone fence grown into cherry with bolt cutters... finished grinding cherry and other small stumps near fence.
Took grinder and two men back to linden removal. Helped old friend get started changing chipper blades. Left two men on that job. Showed new co-worker how to back up stump grinding trailer, then took him to big job grinding stumps as a sub at huge apatment complex. Stopped by yard to get p/u truck on the way. Also stopped and talked to neighbor of recent client about removals.
Met crew forman at apt complex. Got new coworker started there... ground out big stump on hill before I left. Got a call on way back to job from two co-workers. they went to get lunch in van with all the saws and rigging equipment and it broke down. Went to van.. checked fuel... couldn't get it running, so took tools in pick up truck, returned to linden removal. Adjusted the cutter anvil on chipper (carefully). Hung out while co-workers chipped the brush. Dumped the chip truck, about 50 min round trip. Went back and picked up chipper, and coworkers, left that job and went to meet contract climber at another job. Wrote up contract for that job with customer before getting started (already had verbal agreement). Started raining, helped fall a few small and medium trees and falled spar of 90' tulip. Went back to broken down van. Checked spark, got to auto parts store 15 minutes after closing, and bought various ignition parts. replaced ignition module in van. Took van back to backyard removal job. Took pick up truck to yard. Dumped linden on junk woodpile, and loaded up the log dolly. back to jobsite and moved 6-8 large logs out to street using pick up truck to pull dolly.
Drove stump grinder home, called log loader to schedule wood pick up and talked to a new client for stump sub-contracting work.
Took shower and finally ate my first bite of food of the day at 10 PM. Cleaned up the house and girlfiend came over at 10:45.

After work (my day job), I was at a house to do a quote for an older woman. She wants me to remove part(almost half) of her neighbors tree that overhangs on her property. I explained that if I did what she wanted, it would kill the tree and would fall on the neighbors house next wind or ice storm. She stated she didn't care and to bad for neighbor. The neighbor overheard and the two of em started yelling at each other, (me in middle). I told the woman that if I were to do it, I would have to tie into a part of the tree thats on the guys side of property for my safety line. As I explained the situation to him (re; killing tree if I do it), he said I could take the entire tree down if the woman pays half the cost! The tree was in bad shape, wind damage, stress cracks, punky areas and full of water on one side form previous damage. The woman wanted the tree down to spite her neighbor & the neighbor wanted the tree gone to keep peace with the woman and because it was a hazard to him. What a pair! Not wanting to get caught in the middle of a bad situation, i referred the job to another company better equipped to T/D the entire tree. After all was said & done, the guy hired me to look at another tree in his back yard and remove a few limbs from off his and other neighbors house and take out some dead branches. Hour & a half later I had $100 in my pocket plus $20 tip. Not a bad way to end the day! I love working in a tree in late afternoon as the sun starts to set. :cool: HC

No kidding MB, the old woman is pissed at me now. Not because I would not do the job for her or referring the work to another company. Its because I ended up doing some work for her neighbor in a different tree. She's the same type of person that would spend her life saving in court fighting with a neighbor over a property line etc. :rolleyes: HC

Today was a slow saturday for me. Picked up a set of piston rings for one of my saws across town and did a quote for a guy. He wanted me to top the tree and I said get someone else! His neighbor called me over to look at a tree limb that was laying on his roof. I took it down (two minute's) & told him no charge so he gave my 6 year old daughter ten bucks behind my back. We then had to spend it on ice cream...of course!!! Kids know just what to do, don't they! Here's a pic of me 50' up earlier this week limbing out an ash tree for removal. Power lines behind the tree and phone, cable & residential power lined below. Its been killed by the EAB as many have in my area. I'll likely take the one down thats behind me,(in the pic) tomorrow if it doesn't rain. :) HC

Last edited:
No offense MB but I'd rather eat ice cream with my daughter before I top any tree,(not that I would). Ice cream good..Topping trees bad!!! HC

Back