So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dam mb that's gotta be tough tellin that one goodbye. Still waitin to have that little chat eh? I told one goodbye with no qualms; red maple rotted on 3 sides and leaning over a little old lady's house. Owned by a landlord who refused to do anything about it so my report will be attached to a certified letter and copied to town officials and town police.

That MAY move him; same guy let his septic field overflow and the lady got hepatitis cuz her well was full of coliform. Slumlords should :angry: in hades.

A tupelo was bent heavy over the maple, toward the house. had no other defects so I recommended reducing it the way the guys in this neighborhood work, it'll probly get whacked in half. Spike marks in every big white oak. :cry:

Anyway an interesting consult, referred by Bartlett. I'll take pics when it's not raining.

MasterBlaster said:
The entire backside was dead.
A pic of that backside would have been interesting. No, not YOUR backside, the back side of the tree! :umpkin:

vh if there is damage on the side of a tree that faces the house, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to hypothesize construction damage with a great degree of certainty. Still you're right about mitigation ;) ; pecans codit and respond to reduction very well.

mb it would have been edutaining to see a pic of the trunk's cross-section; even if the "entire" backside--20% of circ? 30%?--was dead outside, >80% of the cross-sectional area may have been alive. That tree may have stayed safely standing longer than any of us with the right care.

But all that is complicated, and hard to sell to some customers and especially to removal contractors who have big truck payments to make, so down it went. Wonder if a pecan in the dirt will sprout and grow a new tree? Nope, the lawnmower will get it. Wish the morons who did the original damage could be made to pay. :angry2:

nothing lasts for ever guy. http://***************/treehouse/files/picture_321__large__204.jpg http://***************/treehouse/files/picture_322__large__206.jpg

the training of the mmonkeys!

the b@stards!! i spent a whole week with out beer and fags because i had my CS 38 assment (tree climbing n rescue)which i passed on tuesday and coz i did so well the college has put me in for my CS 39 coz there was a spare place, which is tomro, and i used a top hander in a tree for the first time today, got the hang of all my anchor points, not without a few uncomfortable momments though, and the rest of the gits on my course who have passed their cs 38 but aint going for the 39 are getting lashed tonight! man lifes a b1tch aint it!

deadwooded and pruned 3 big oaks over the road, lovley job, hot sun, edge of the woodland, finished by 2 o clock :) ;) :cool:
sorry guys crappy cam phone again, gotta get a new camera :rolleyes:

Last edited:
noice! hey hammer gotta give you a little grief though...w/ all those other kicka$$ toys you have, i am suprised you dont have a decent camera to match!

Due to the high wind we had this past weekend, a few trees didn't fair so well. I was called to look at a blue spruce that had its upper 20' blown off. I showed up (after my day job), and spoke with the home owner. He and I hit it off very well and I began removing limbs from the back side with the 21' pole saw as he dragged them out of the way. Got about half way into the job and then realized we didn't fix a price yet! Oops, :dizzy: . He looked at me with this funny grin on his face and said that he liked my work ethic. I asked him what he meant? He said that he had called four other company's but only one guy came out to have a look. This guy said he would T/D the tree by climbing free hand and going on & on about the time, risk, and overhead etc to justify his price. The home owner didn't feel comfortable with this guy and eventually called me.I had the tree down with in an hour and never left the ground. The home owner and I had a lot of fun with the tree joking back and forth, the $100 was just a bonus. He then asked me to give him a price on four tree in his back yard for removal. He stated that he was going to be selling his home later this summer and wanted the back yard to look nice. He thought his trees were dead cuz some of the lower & mid branches were dead and falling to the ground when its windy. I told him his trees are not dead but just maturing. Its branches that are dead and brittle are not getting any sunlight because the canopy is filling out preventing sun from getting to its mid section. (no light...no life)! I suggested that all it needed is some dead limbing & maintenance. Because he was going to be selling the house, I told him that if he removed the 4 trees, it would leave the remaining trees looking like crap with big holes and bare spots in them. Lastly I told him that a home with mature trees on its property would increase its VALUE !!! So guess who got the job! His neighbor, who was listening to our conversation, asked me over to do some work on some trees in his back yard and to T/D his blue spruce that was growing way to close to his house. So ya, that will keep me busy this coming weekend! :) HC

jason j ladue said:
noice! hey hammer gotta give you a little grief though...w/ all those other kicka$$ toys you have, i am suprised you dont have a decent camera to match!
did have one, but fell on it while skiing :dizzy:

Eeek snake!

Today we served the country well by eradicating 4 more Queen palms.

The second one we had to cut down had a huge bowl shaped head, it was an absolute corker, stuffed if I wanted to block that down.

We set up bit of a barricade and protection to knock the head out onto the neibs lawn, all went sweet, and I blocked the trunk down.

When we got around to cutting up that big head (we leave them for last) we had a surprise. A 5' green snake came out of it, it was peeved off too! :angry: (probably hibernating as it's winter here)

It went for the pile of fronds we had cut off so we had to divert it's course, we chucked stuff at it then it turned around and headed for the palm head that we still had to cut up.

It was about half way into the head some-how and all that was sticking out was the tail, the groundy stood on it's tail to try and stop it (I was to chicken) and the snake started turning blue. We peeved it off something bad and it went like buggery across the lawn to the house and started to try to go up the wall to a window.

By now the groundy had a piece of frond and started to try scare it to bugger off into the garden by tapping the ground near it. The snake was bright blue now, it was amazing, it started to go toward the garden then turned around, stood up about 2' high and slithered toward us. I was tripping out and ran back-wards the groundy close by. The ????ed thing was standing it's ground so the groundy try tapping the cement near it and the bugger struck at him and just missed him.

We all freaked out and started chucking stuff at it and it finally got the message and pissed off back into the garden. What a day.

Now I still had 2 palms to go, how do you reckon I felt? I never flicked so many fronds off my saw and cut that fast before, and I made sure I had my life line and figure eight ready for a real quick evac.

I killed a big, fat pine. Every limb had to be roped. At least it was only 96 duhgrees...

I present the corpse! :blob2:

http://***************/treehouse/files/on_the_ground_287.jpg

murderer..... :blob2:

man that wuz a wolfy old beast, eh!

no pics, but we did a young, but brushy doug fir....darned near filled the truck with chips...then did a 120 foot just died fir.....breezed thru it in 2 hours

ok, so here is a rebirth post. for all you tree killers out there. :)

2 days work for a couple guys. turf up and out, dig out the old drains, cover them in filter cloth, bury them in gravel, cut a few new trenches and gravel them, cover with lawn dressing topsoil, put some sod on it and put the stepping stones back. too much fun. afterwards, go to local shop, buy new echo top handle saw.

sorry for the big pics, I keep some larger for photo printing time.

Timberbeast from Alaska visited today

Fresh off a plane, waltzes in here and decks the sucker.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back