So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put some mud on a ceiling patch in the basement shop. Replaced a faulty GFCI on the porch so we can have Christmas lights outside now. Sighted in my BIL's .270 he loaned me to hunt with (my gunsmith buddy still has my .243 Ackley). Put the 28" ES Light on the 440. It feels great!! Can't wait to cut something.
6f136f3cb9197b14d78da319b351c805.jpg

Warpig6

Fill in holes on the road the dozer operator left us. Split some tanoak and D-fir for a buddy who is having surgery Wednesday. Spent the afternoon worked on the little excavator that threw a track. Ended up loading it on the trailer with one good track and took it back to the rental yard.

I miss my ZRX1100 also. I sold it about three years ago because I didn't ride it much, too many crazy drivers around here...

I don't spend much time on pavement anymore, mostly all dirt trail riding on a KTM 950 Super Enduro (in my avatar pic somewhere in northwestern Nevada at the time). I have a Honda RC51 in the garage that I don't ride much anymore. I should sell it and buy a pellet burner stove.

Cut some dead trees, sharpened some saws, dumped a truck load of very dead wattle at my house and played with a remote controlled stump grinder

I don't spend much time on pavement anymore, mostly all dirt trail riding on a KTM 950 Super Enduro (in my avatar pic somewhere in northwestern Nevada at the time). I have a Honda RC51 in the garage that I don't ride much anymore. I should sell it and buy a pellet burner stove.
I just mentioned the last motorcycle I had. I started out with dirt bikes, Yamaha 175, Suzuki RM250, Yamaha 490Yz, Honda CR250 and maybe a few others I forgot. We lost our free riding place so rather than pay the government every time I rode I just sold the bikes..

QUOTE="a. palmer jr., post: 5027276, member: 14885"]I miss my ZRX1100 also. I sold it about three years ago because I didn't ride it much, too many crazy drivers around here...

I can handle the crazy drivers, but the insane whitetail deer are impossible to anticipate. They cross the road like cruise missles. Very little one can do when of them decides it wants to run you over. I saw this one coming but I was leaned over in a curve and I hit the brakes as hard as possible. I got slowed from around 45 to around 30 at the moment of impact. He hit the front edge of the front wheel traveling from left to right at a high velocity. The bike turned right (east) and the laws of physics being what they are, I continued north, but since I was hanging on to the handle bars as the bike fell on its left side it caused me to rotate downward toward the pavement and make a 3 point landing, top of head above left eye, left shoulder and knee. The impact pushed my elbo into my side breaking 3 ribs. The knee got the worse of it. By By bursa sack. They glued it back together as best they could with what they had to work with. I have beed riding for 47 years. Many close calls with deer but this was the first one that managed to "get me". I hit him so lightly he got up and ran away while I was picking the bike up. If had got on the brakes 1/100 of a second sooner I am sure I would have missed him.
My full face helmet has a flat spot ground into it. The only mark on my head was a cut on top of my nose from having my glasses smashed into my face inside the face shield. My head hit first and recieved the major impact.

I hate deer. Please shoot as many as possible.

View attachment 378809
morning after, in surgery this is what a gravel filled knee looks like
View attachment 378811
woke up to see this after being glued back together, 3 days in hospital

View attachment 378814
3 weeks later

View attachment 378815
home from hospital. lots of skin missing under bandages.[/QUOTE]
Of what limited street biking I've done I never had an incident involving a deer. Had much closer calls with cell phone drivers and people who don't notice bikes. Get well soon!

Today since my main trick is down for at least a week needing a ring and pinion, I plated and insured my old 2000 GMC 4x4 with 285k that hasn't been on the road since February.

First the battery was dead, so I jumped it and the coolant was low. Added coolant and went for a drive, on the way back oil pressure went to 0. Now the low coolant light is back on. I'm suspecting a cracked head....

I was licensed to drive at age 15 1/2. Got my m/c endorsement at age 16. Been riding dirt bikes since age 8 or so. Raced off-road for many, many years and only broke my right collar-bone.

Only went down once while riding on the street. That was back in 1977, when a newly licensed female driver pulled out in front of me from a side street. Saw it coming, but didn't have enough time to avoid her. No damage to me, but my bike at the time (1976 Kawasaki KZ-900) suffered about $2K in damages.

A friend of mine died some years ago from a run-in with a deer. Another friend died when a car pulled out in front of him, he laid it down prior to hitting the car, only to have a school bus run him over.

I've had my share of close calls, but I'm all eyes when riding. As most of you already know, m/c riders are pretty much invisible to drivers.

I'm very aware of wild life and their propensity to run out in front of you. For the most past, I no longer ride after dark. No need to really. When you ride on the street, it really is a war zone out there. All sorts of crap that can occur and mess up your day, and possibly, the rest of your life.

Started my day at 2am girlfriend came to. Had to haul a load of steel to Dallas. We just got back to the house. Going to try to stay motivated and get some stuff done around the house.

O and i get to pick up some more chrome goodies from Peterbilt :)

A good friend of mine got killed after he hit a deer a few years ago where i work....i saw it happen right out in front of our yard but didn't realize it was him until i ran over there. Its a 4 lane road and the deer was in the inside lane and it crossed in front over 2 lanes and stood there but for whatever reason as he got to it it ran back across the road into his lane and he hit it broadside going about 50mph and he flew over the handle bars about 60 feet and landed on the back of his head and split his helmet in half. Once i got to him i realize who it was. The deer died too.

Like i said earlier im up before the Crack of dawn. Hell we counted probably 15+ deer on the way this morning. They are definitely out!! Be careful!!

QUOTE="a. palmer jr., post: 5027276, member: 14885"]I miss my ZRX1100 also. I sold it about three years ago because I didn't ride it much, too many crazy drivers around here...

I can handle the crazy drivers, but the insane whitetail deer are impossible to anticipate. They cross the road like cruise missles. Very little one can do when of them decides it wants to run you over. I saw this one coming but I was leaned over in a curve and I hit the brakes as hard as possible. I got slowed from around 45 to around 30 at the moment of impact. He hit the front edge of the front wheel traveling from left to right at a high velocity. The bike turned right (east) and the laws of physics being what they are, I continued north, but since I was hanging on to the handle bars as the bike fell on its left side it caused me to rotate downward toward the pavement and make a 3 point landing, top of head above left eye, left shoulder and knee. The impact pushed my elbo into my side breaking 3 ribs. The knee got the worse of it. By By bursa sack. They glued it back together as best they could with what they had to work with. I have beed riding for 47 years. Many close calls with deer but this was the first one that managed to "get me". I hit him so lightly he got up and ran away while I was picking the bike up. If had got on the brakes 1/100 of a second sooner I am sure I would have missed him.
My full face helmet has a flat spot ground into it. The only mark on my head was a cut on top of my nose from having my glasses smashed into my face inside the face shield. My head hit first and recieved the major impact.

I hate deer. Please shoot as many as possible.

View attachment 378809
morning after, in surgery this is what a gravel filled knee looks like
View attachment 378811
woke up to see this after being glued back together, 3 days in hospital

View attachment 378814
3 weeks later

View attachment 378815
home from hospital. lots of skin missing under bandages.[/QUOTE]
been chasing my snackies again

Stephen, did you give up riding? I actually did, sold bike, let my mc drivers license expire so I guess I'm on 4 wheels from now on..

I took my first and only bike apart and gave away the pieces a long time ago when I finished visiting the 4th friend within a month in the hospital because of accidents and bikes. The last guy was in a coma, I said, OK, fine, I can take a hint. Since then, only thing with two wheels and an engine was my slowped, but then ethanol fuel straight gassed it.

I drive trucks now, that's it.

I didn't start a chainsaw today. I was working on paperwork all morning and into the early afternoon. Then I went to the shop and spun up five 20" chains and two 24" chains. Put one of the chains and a new bar on an MS310 and took some pics of it. I am going to post it on CL later this evening. I was working on a 1990 Dodge one ton van that hasn't run for years. Been chasing down problems one at a time. It doesn't seem to "spark" until I stop cranking it. (ie, when I let off the key, then it fires) I have run into this problem in the past but it has been so many years I can't remember what the issue is. Rats!
Anyway, I should head out to the deer stand to work on filling the freezer but I'm feeling a bit lazy...
What did you guys do?
Like Axfarmer said, check the ballist resistor. Also, check the wiring from the ignition switch to the ballist resistor and to the coil. If two of those wires are backwards, it will do just what you describe. Good luck and let us know what you found.

Ouch, that's some nasty road rash!

Put a new Meteor top end in my 55 Rancher with Hondabond HT and no base gasket. Got the squish down to .030 from almost .o50. I put in a new impulse pipe and intake boot. Runs nice, with 175+ psi, not broken in yet.

Put the open port top end from the 55 Rancher on a blown 50 Rancher, again with Hondabond HT and no base gasket. It has .028 squish, which I think will be acceptable. Haven't run it yet, waiting on a couple parts to finish it up. I plan to convert it to a 3/8" chain so I can use just one chain type.

47 years and one accident leads me to believe that I am pretty good at it. Probably over a million miles. The degree of awareness and concentration to survive in a motorcycle environment is beyond the grasp of the general public. If you don't give every moment the same amount of concentration you would give while sneaking through the jungle looking for V.C. you won't last that long. It is not for everybody.

The people who sell them don't tell you that. The fun part is easy to experience. They are flat out fun.
The responsibility to yourself and loved ones is your responsibility and you need to acess your skill level against the risk. I have convinced myself that the only human hazard I cannot defend against is a unsignaled left turn. All other things can be seen and anticipated with careful observation. It has saved me many times.

Gawd.....if that ain't the truth.

I've got 44 yrs. of road riding and 52 yrs. total (dirt / street) under my belt riding m/c's.

Like Axfarmer said, check the ballist resistor. Also, check the wiring from the ignition switch to the ballist resistor and to the coil. If two of those wires are backwards, it will do just what you describe. Good luck and let us know what you found.
Well, I discovered today that the Dodge van I've been working on is actually a Ford van. Duh. I have been tracing out the issues and have it narrowed down to the ignition module or the PIM in the distributor.
This van belongs to me but I've never driven it, it hasn't run for years and I bought it from a guy so he could provide some funds for his son's church ministry. I figured I would either fix it or junk it if I couldn't get it working. The initial problem was that it would turn over with the starter. Found three issues and now it cranks but won't start. It's an ignition issue. Once I get that working, we'll see if we have fuel or not...

Latest posts

Back