So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a standard carb 362 and sold it, but I just rebuilt another one…trying to sell it but no takers may just keep it… What size bar you run on the 362 and 361??
I always ran a 20 . I usually run a 24 on a MS660, even knowing that either will pull longer bars.

But, the question really is, what are you cutting ? If you are using a longer bar than you need it just slows you down.

I always ran a 20 . I usually run a 24 on a MS660, even knowing that either will pull longer bars.

But, the question really is, what are you cutting ? If you are using a longer bar than you need it just slows you down.
Well there is a lot to bar lengths, what your cutting, how fast you want to cut it, having a long bar so you don’t have to bend over as much, etc…like for me cutting oak, hickory, dry hard ash,etc you wouldn’t want anything over a 20” bar on a 362, atleast I wouldn’t…

I have been running all my Stihl MTronics saws without any hassle or drama the last few years. A while back I decided to run a few tanks through the Stihl 361. After cutting some I said, oh yea, I need to tweak the screws for better performance. It is not a bad thing, I just needed to do it. With the other saws I just get to cutting.

I had a standard carb 362 and sold it, but I just rebuilt another one…trying to sell it but no takers may just keep it… What size bar you run on the 362 and 361??
I run an 18" bar on the 362 C-M, largest diameter trees I cut for firewood now are around 14" diameter so the 18" works well. I cut on a rocky ridge, so a long bar sticking past the end of the log can end up hiring a rock. I do have longer bars I can use if I need to cut something bigger.

Ya Osage is the best got to have a proper sharpened chain or your in trouble…is your 362 a mtronic….i liked the 362, but once i got the 461 any hard wood 20” or over I just used the 461 on so I sold it….i may keep this one and see how I remember it…I got some tulip and hackberry logs that are 20” plus…

What size bar you use on the 362???
I have no trouble cutting Osage, the hard part is getting to the trunk through the branches. The osage where I cut grow individually, they are a tight bunch of thorn-covered branches 15 to 20 feet tall. They were originally imported to the Shenandoah Valley to make fencing. Some have grown into trees, but not where I cut.

I have no trouble cutting Osage, the hard part is getting to the trunk through the branches. The osage where I cut grow individually, they are a tight bunch of thorn-covered branches 15 to 20 feet tall. They were originally imported to the Shenandoah Valley to make fencing. Some have grown into trees, but not where I cut.
Ya there are some that are pretty massive around here…..I have seen many people Frenc fry their bar cutting Osage that were clueless…

Here is the title of the thread

So what do you guys think about your first autotune or mtronic saw after you have ran regular carbs for years??​

What is a regular carb. I would say one that has one round opening with one butterfly and no fresh air only for the top half of the circle. If the saw has two butterfly valves one for air and one for fuel mix does that count as regular?

I did recently get my first autotume model a 540xp mk3. It has the top half air bottom half mix of air and fuel, pockets in the side of the piston seems kind of high compression and seems a kind of large exhaust opening. How do I decide how much is the autotune?

I made a thread about it and the interest seems minimal. It being the saw in general.

I really like my 400. It powers right through firewood that is thicker than the bar length. It drops 15-25 inch softwood trees in no time. It runs good every time in whatever weather I am having. I have not yet run it in the heat of the summer. I'm 5-9, weigh 155, and am 68 yrs old. My arms get tired after 1 tank when I use the 400 for limbing, but it will easily cut tight to the trunk and run up and down the sides of a 60'-80' spruce trees just about as fast as I can haul it around the tree - using a standard Stihl chisel-tooth chain with rakers set at .030. I have skip tooth chains sitting in my saw shed, that I haven't even tried on it yet. I haven't seen the need. It is happy doing what it is doing, and at my age, I can't see myself wanting to go any faster - especially with snow and ice on the ground.

If I can't get my old 034 running better, I'll get a 261 as my main saw. I had one before, and it was an awesome saw.

The m-tronic 261c is a impressive when compared to an old 026 or ms260. Almost like a different saw. I'm really impressed with that model. I ran a 462 recently with a 32 inch bar and it didn't blow my skirt up. My old 046 mag was beating it up pretty good on 30 inch oak and eucalyptus. I looked up the specs because it just didn't seem right. Then I noticed it's a smaller saw. It's a 72 cc saw in a lighter platform. Does great with 24 and 28 inch bars but full depth 32" it lags. My 046 is closer to 81 cc and will handle a 36" stick pretty well. So one m troniic I love the other I didn't love so much.

Back