so why exactly are ms200t's so expensive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another question that would go well in this thread;

why do so many people have a grudge against Stihl®™ ?

it seems like many people on the forum are so die hard against Stihl®™ because they are by far the biggest seller of chainsaws. these people i describe have no problem with husky, echo, efco, makita, dolmar, or any other chainsaw manufacturer, but it seems like they would let a man give them anal sex before they would own a Stihl®™, why is that?

if Echo or Husky were the top seller, these same people would have the same attitude towards them, theyd be totally against Echo because everyone has echos, so theyll be cool and buy a Stihl®™. its that"against the grain" attitude , where even if something is proven better hypothetically, they still wont use it, because its popular and lots of others use it. it reminds me of goth kids and that whole scene kind of.. they are trying so hard to be different and counter-culture, and against the norm, for no other reason than being against the norm. theres clearly no advantage to dressing like a freak, BUT at least they are different, right? .. they dont care, at least they arnt "selling out" and buying a Stihl®™, RIGHT!?, theyd rather spend the same amount of money on a heavy ass makita, why? because they are different, and didnt buy a Stihl®™ like the rest of us yuppy sheep !
its always been "cool" to do the "unpopular" thing..some of these people i bet even form their opinion without having ran one, they just know they dont wana be another yuppy bmw driver (stihl®™ user) so they convince themselves they are overpriced junk, even if they secretly want one inside, they cant let anyone know, or they loose that edgy cool factor that comes with hating the most successful , the same way little goth and emo kids hate their favorite band once they actually make some money and sell some records, same type of thing going on here if you ask me.

Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh tellem whatcha really think man. I sorta say it a differnet way around here where I work, f-um....LOLOL

Far as why does the 200T cost so much, it doesn't. In fact for the amount of money a arborsit makes using a 200T to top out trees its really one of, if not, the lowest cost saws on the market per dollar made with it. Course you would have to use one as a tool making a living with it to know that. To port, mod and play with in the backyard comparing to other top handle saws then yes its very expensive and very unproductive, it was designed for serious arborist work, not play. Even with all the well known carb issues the 200T has had in the past its still the best top handle saw ever made, proven by who, the arborists who use it and continue to pay big money for it so they in turn can make big money with it...

To me the real question is why is the 192T so inexpensive?
If Stihl can get $600 for the 200 why can't they get $400 for the 192.

I want a 200 for this (/edit that's my butt on the tree):

attachment.php

My wallet said put $25 into the saw you have (/edit - bought it new w/ a 16" bar and 2 chains for $50):

attachment.php

Old man you get down from there, what da hell is wrong with you, how da hell did you get up there anyway,LOL Stay put, I'll call the fire dept. to getcha down, ole coot you should know better, the cat will climb down on his own,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I agree with that they do it because they can .If a new competitor comes out with an equal or better they will have to drop the price.

Adjusting for inflation, the saw is less expensive than it used to be. The production saws have gone up quite a bit in the past 15 years, the 200T not so much.

I slept in Holiday Inn Suites last night so....

Its about work and working time ain't BS'n time. If you're working in a tree or a bucket, a 200t is a tough act to beat regardless of the price. Now if ya'll wanna chew the **** we can, but there ain't nuttin on a tree job more used than a 200t.

A better question is why is a 200t "Only" $600...that's a bargain for a tool that over delivers in Quality, performance, maintainablity and consistancy. That my friends is the definition of VALUE. Price is just one part of your experience with tools. Measure the usage by the hour on your average 200t and you'll see $600 is a steal.

The same reason Snap On tools are expensive. The 200T is a tool that was designed for a professional to use to earn his living with. The quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

Last edited:
Old man you get down from there, what da hell is wrong with you, how da hell did you get up there anyway,LOL Stay put, I'll call the fire dept. to getcha down, ole coot you should know better, the cat will climb down on his own,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't give me that BS. I like getting up "in the tree". And don't call me an old "coot". It's Old Fart !! :)

Why the heck is the 192, which I view as slightly less capable, so inexpensive?

Is it really only half the saw a 200 is?

It's really not too bad of a price for what you're getting. I hav'ent climbed in awhile and I doubt I even could now. I used a 200T when I did, even though I did'nt climb alot. It is an awesome little saw to say the least. You just can't beat the balance when having to reach out with one hand.

It's no wonder the 192 is alot cheaper. It is'nt built quite like a 200T. If you need the 200T, the price is worth paying. Anyone who has'nt climbed before could never understand.

gemniii Is it really only half the saw a 200 is?[/QUOTE said:
For removals, yes. For pruning work then the 192 is a good alternative. The 192 will get the removal work done, but not at the rate and ease that a 200 will. Not sure of the exact specs on paper, nor do I care, but if you ran them both blocking down some bar length oak, the 200 will handily come out on top.

Don't give me that BS. I like getting up "in the tree". And don't call me an old "coot". It's Old Fart !! :)

Why the heck is the 192, which I view as slightly less capable, so inexpensive?

Is it really only half the saw a 200 is?

I'm not only gonna give it to you your gonna take it and like it you old fart,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The best way to describe the main differances between the 200 and the 192 is by dropping each one 40 feet out of a tree. The 192 will hit the ground and explode, its all plastic. The 200 will probably break off the handle and bounce. Put a new handle on and she's good to go, the 192 goes in file 13.

No fear George about the pricing of either one, list is not your price, a little birdie told me that....

Last edited:
If you think 600.00 is too much, consider how much the 020av was 25 years ago.

the ms200T is to arborists as a 660 is to a logger. I think they are expensive but they are worth every penny. i would love to trade my husky 334 in towards a 200T

Just FYI

MS200T/MS200 has 28% more HP than 192 with only 17% more cc's

Engine
MS 192 T
Displacement: 30.1 cm3
Bore: 37 mm
Stroke: 28 mm
Engine power to ISO 7293 1.3 kW (1.8 HP) at 9500 rpm
Max. permissible engine speed (with bar and chain): 13500 rpm
Idle speed: 3000 rpm
Clutch: Centrifugal clutch without linings
Clutch engages at: 4150 rpm

Engine
MS 200 MS 200 T
Displacement: 35.2 cm3
Bore: 40 mm
Engine power to ISO 7293: 1.7 kW (2.3 bhp) at 10,000 rpm
Maximum permissible engine speed (with bar and chain): 14,000 rpm
Idle speed: 2,800 rpm
Clutch engages at: 3,700 rpm

TT

Side by side pics! Please

Just FYI

MS200T/MS200 has 28% more HP than 192 with only 17% more cc's

Engine
MS 192 T
Displacement: 30.1 cm3
Bore: 37 mm
Engine power to ISO 7293 1.3 kW (1.8 HP) at 9500 rpm
Max. permissible engine speed (with bar and chain): 13500 rpm
Idle speed: 3000 rpm
Clutch: Centrifugal clutch without linings
Clutch engages at: 4150 rpm

Engine
MS 200 MS 200 T
Displacement: 35.2 cm3
Bore: 40 mm
Engine power to ISO 7293: 1.7 kW (2.3 bhp) at 10,000 rpm
Maximum permissible engine speed (with bar and chain): 14,000 rpm
Idle speed: 2,800 rpm
Clutch engages at: 3,700 rpm

TT

TT

Thanks for posting the specs on both of the saws.

I think it would be fun to see both of the saws torn down side by side. Being able to compare them. ie.... are the rods the same? pistons (other than the 2mm difference), cranks, cylinder....someone get the idea of what I'm getting at?

TT

I think it would be fun to see both of the saws torn down side by side. Being able to compare them. ie.... are the rods the same? pistons (other than the 2mm difference), cranks, cylinder....someone get the idea of what I'm getting at?

Probably about as similar as a ms250 compared to a ms260... which is to say totally different.

If a new competitor comes out with an equal or better they will have to drop the price.

Good luck with that. The 200T is "the" climbing saw of all the climbing saws. The only one that might beat it is the EPA. Then you will see them flying off the shelves like hot cakes.

See...that right there is funny.

The same amount of work to make a 60cc pro saw goes into making a 35cc pro saw. There is a small difference in materials cost. The R&D, machine time, labor, outsourcing, paint, fasteners, and all that other stuff are the same. Cost of manufacture is spread across the line. Do you really think it costs that much more to build an MS660 than it does to build an MS460?
While that may be true, it doesn't hold a drop of water in this arguement. If that were the case, a MS261 would cost as much, or more, than a MS660. The bigger a saw, the more they usually cost, and the market expects that. The 200T is an exception to that rule. The question is why?

To me the real question is why is the 192T so inexpensive?
If Stihl can get $600 for the 200 why can't they get $400 for the 192.
Because there isn't anything professional about the 192T, other than it has a top handle. It is nothing more than a cheap homeowner saw, equal about to a MS180.

TT

they are completely different. one is a clamshell plastic case, the other is split magnesiun case. No major parts interchange between them.

TT

they are completely different. one is a clamshell plastic case, the other is split magnesiun case. No major parts interchange between them.

The 200 is a real pro saw. The 192 is of Stihl's cheapest construction with a stamped rod and clamshell design. It's honestly no better than a MS180.

Thanks guys!

nuff said!

Back