so why exactly are ms200t's so expensive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So tell me whats wrong with a MS180?

"weak construction"

420107892_DaNK4-M-0.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=81365

Lay that baby on the bench and a couple hammer blows she'll be as good as new!

What's with the indentations on the side of the rod?

Those pings are machine marks. That rod is pressed and stamped. Alot of those type of rods are used in Stihl low end weed trimmers, they hold up very well for the application they are designed for..

I've seen a 200T up close, at the PA GTG. It's an angry little saw, very very powerful for it's size. I don't know if I'd be able to spend the $600 for a copy, but the guy who owns it, a pro arborist and climber, wasn't complaining.

Wasn't complaining a bit.

Good luck with that. The 200T is "the" climbing saw of all the climbing saws. The only one that might beat it is the EPA. Then you will see them flying off the shelves like hot cakes.

EPA has beat it. Its replacement proto type has been in the works for sometime now. I seen one over a year ago but haven't heard much about it. The 200T is a very dirty running chainsaw which is why it will boogie. I think its one of Stihl's very worst far as emissions goes.

I've seen a 200T up close, at the PA GTG. It's an angry little saw, very very powerful for it's size. I don't know if I'd be able to spend the $600 for a copy, but the guy who owns it, a pro arborist and climber, wasn't complaining.

Wasn't complaining a bit.

The 200T is one of the very few saws we sell where there is no haggling about the price. Most times the arbortists buying them will come right out and say it will pay for itself in a day or two. The bad thing about the 200T is about the only people we will sell one to is a arborist. Its a very dangerous little saw. It sure need not be in the hands of someone that isn't up to snuff on it..

EPA has beat it. Its replacement proto type has been in the works for sometime now. I seen one over a year ago but haven't heard much about it. The 200T is a very dirty running chainsaw which is why it will boogie. I think its one of Stihl's very worst far as emissions goes.

Yeah, but it cuts oohhhhhh so nice.......:hmm3grin2orange:

As far as the 200t, price point and performance.....there are those that know and those that don't.

If they are truly gone in the near future I would/will pick one up just to sit on a shelf until the day mine dies. I think that much of it and I suspect there are many others as well........

Yeah, but it cuts oohhhhhh so nice.......:hmm3grin2orange:

As far as the 200t, price point and performance.....there are those that know and those that don't.

If they are truly gone in the near future I would/will pick one up just to sit on a shelf until the day mine dies. I think that much of it and I suspect there are many others as well........

They do boogie for sure. They are going away for sure as well. Last time I paid a visit to my buddy down at Stihl in Va Beach there was a guy over on a table messing with a little saw. He had that thing screaming. I asked whats that guy doing. My buddy said it was messing with a proto type that going to replace the 200T in the future. I never got a chance to give it a good look over. It was making a helluva lot of noise for a little saw though..

Why did you say that? I thought it was a pretty cool picture & as far as I can tell, Tom knows what he is doing. I just had to neg rep you for that remark. I hope you explain yourself, grow up, or just buzz off.
I took the brain on beer comment as "Man, I'd have to be buzzin' GOOD to get up there!" - to which I'd have to agree. I actually chuckled at the remark. You climbers are nuts (in a really good way, no offense!)

I've heard guys refer to them as their "money maker". That reputation, earned by it's power and reliability, is why they sell for what they do.

That be correct. If there is one saw that owns one segment of the entire saw market its the 200T. Thats partly due to the huge dealer network to back it up. Oddly when a 200T goes down for whatever reason the only request I get is FIX IT FAST. They don't care what it costs, they just want it back fast. There's money in the tops of those trees, gotta be...

They are going away for sure as well. ..

Guess after first of year I will put my order in for a second MS200 rear handle.

I will make sure to buy a 6 pack of Ultra to go with it after Jan 2011.

I have heard it will pay to wait...........can you tell us anything?

TT

Guess after first of year I will put my order in for a second MS200 rear handle.

TT

Not really. I saw the man messing with it but never got a chance to get up close and look at it. That was over a year ago. Stihl really seems to be taking their good ole time with it and really I'm sure they aren't going to yank the 200T until they have no choice. It owns the top handle market. I can say whatever the hell he was doing to that saw he had it screaming to the high heaven. What the final result will be I have no idea, the 200T is one hard egg to top...

Guess after first of year

TT

Not really. I saw the man messing with it but never got a chance to get up close and look at it. That was over a year ago. Stihl really seems to be taking their good ole time with it and really I'm sure they aren't going to yank the 200T until they have no choice. It owns the top handle market. I can say whatever the hell he was doing to that saw he had it screaming to the high heaven. What the final result will be I have no idea, the 200T is one hard egg to top...

Not about the new saw..........something else.

TT

It's the most powerful top handle Stihl makes as well as the balance/power ya it is a truly great saw even the older ones with the metal casing were awesome. It's also because it is a pro saw and pretty much that exclusively, as I have never known a non pro to buy one. Not a firewood saw and yes top handle rules! My favorite standby:yoyo:

While that may be true, it doesn't hold a drop of water in this arguement. If that were the case, a MS261 would cost as much, or more, than a MS660. The bigger a saw, the more they usually cost, and the market expects that. The 200T is an exception to that rule. The question is why?

I would expect that from someone who knows next to nothing about the world of manufacturing, and that is clearly you. The 200T's price is set by many factors. One being the fact that it is built like any pro saw, verically split magnesium case. The second large factor is that it is a very low production unit. Low production numbers yield high per unit costs. That is the reason why a TZ250, with roughly half the number of parts, cost more than twice as much as the top of the line 1000cc sport bike. Stihl claims the 200T is for in tree professional use only. Just how many pro climbers are there compared to weekend firewood cutters? How many can they reasonably expect to sell in a year? You still haven't seen the light about per unit cost being spread across the line. An MS460 and an MS660 cost almost the same to manufacture, but there is no way the market will bear them having the same MSRP. The real truth of the matter is that the 200T should cost more, but Stihl sells it at what the market will bear. If it was not selling well enough to support a $600 price tag then you would see the price come down. You see Brad, you have never had to use one to put the bread on the table so you truly have NO idea what the saw is worth. Read the posts made by the members that use the saw to make a paycheck. Those are the people that drive the market and set the price. Holy Smokes, I paid I think $525 for my 020T back in 1994, which was not much shy of what I had just paid for a new 044. Some of the best money I ever spent. You don't have the experience on either the manufacturing end or that of the end user to make a call on the value of the MS200T. This ain't cuttin' cookies...

ms 201 t coming soon! i bet they will keep the 200 around even when the 201 is out just like the 290 will be around when the 291 hits. 200 t is the best top handle saw there is. anyone who says otherwise don't know what they talking about. even die hard husky guys buy 200 t's and **** on the 338xpt's.

While that may be true, it doesn't hold a drop of water in this arguement. If that were the case, a MS261 would cost as much, or more, than a MS660. The bigger a saw, the more they usually cost, and the market expects that. The 200T is an exception to that rule. The question is why?

Because a top handle saw is a specialty saw. it takes more r&d and engineering to pack a lot of performance, durability, handling, low weight, and functionality in such a small package. and the 200 t is not the excetpion. ALL top handle saws cost more than rear handle counterparts. the ms 192 t for example is really an ms 170 with better air filteration, tooless caps, full adjustable carb, spring av, lighter weight, side tensioner, etc. echo husky, all of them their top handles cost more than rear handle equivalents.

A friend of mine is a climber and he really likes the feel of the 338XP. He gets almost a year out of one before it is too worn out to repair anymore. He is close to switching over to the MS200T. I think he has 3 338XPs in the garage for spare parts.

Latest posts

Back