Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just did some modest shopping they are not cheap, LOL. I assume to walk on mudd, I would need to get the ones with the tandems in the back with steel tracks? yes or no.

As the other ones I saw simply had the same 23.1x26's I have on my skidders, which either sink or tear up an already muddy trail and end up making it unworkable. Remember this is bottoms ground, where there isn't a bottom to the mud, you can get stuck and start to sink with a machine and come back tomorrow and it sank 3 more feet, without your assistance.

Is the difference between dragging a stick or "hauling" a stick that great, and that is where the difference is? Or are those tandem axles rearends that much better at floating?

Sam

We had a Rottne on couple of are jobs and my skidder was making ruts empty and the forwarder would drive over them with a load on and smooth them out. They have dual controls so you just spin the seat around and drive the other way no turning around. It's hard to believe how little ground pressure the tamden axles have,and it was not much wider than my skidder with 18.4x34s on it.

I think a 12 ton capacity machine would keep you around 9' wide or less depending on the tire size. And you definitely would want a tandem(bogie) machine with a set of eco tracks for working in sensitive areas. As far as production goes, I put around 2000 Bft or 15 tons of pulp wood an hour on the landing with our 1410.

But I'm with you on the being able to afford some time off. At a certain point your equipment starts owning you instead of the reverse. I've been in this boat for about 6 years now. 6-7 Days a week year round. Got to put trees on the ground. I sure miss the days of the paid for cable skidder.

Last edited:
Well between what you guys are telling me and my little research on them, I think they would work pretty good, in tandem form, but man they are expensive. I think for now I will still get the flotation tires for the skidder/s as it is never a bad idea for them to float a little better, and possibly the flotation tires provide enough of a "positive" to allow enough work to get done through the wet times to not need a forwarder. The best solution would have been to work harder/faster when the weather was good, LOL, but had a lot of other things to get done before winter.

I think one the size of Bitzer's would work just fine for me. I'm going to really shop around and see what comes up on the used market. Might try to see if a set of tandems could be had off a burnt machine or something else ...... if they are cheap, I could very reasonably make a new rearend for one of the 540B's, just a thought.

Is it agreed that the benefits are mostly from the tandem setups? I mean a forwarder with singles on the front and back wouldn't be much different than a regular skidder, just not dragging the hitch.

Would tandems in just the back half be enough for this muddy work?

Thanks guys,

Sam

Sam, with your full access to a fab shop, I would suggest making your own forwarder.

I bet you could throw a custom unit together for 20k or less, depending on how much you scavenge from already made stuff on used equipment.

I'd make a trailer frame (or buy one), and put bunks on it. Then order a new sorting grapple (like the ones Bailey's sells) or, again, find an old Prentice setup and mount it up.

For the trailers axles, a walking beam dual front and rear wouldn't be too hard to make. and you could put nice fat tires on it to make it's psi footprint whatever you needed.

Now for the tractor side of things. . . Lots of options there. You could use a regular tractor like they do a lot in Europe, or come up with something out of a bone yard.

I did a quick CL search for KY and surrounding area, and there's several old loaders I bet ya could snag for less than they have them listed for. log loader on SearchTempest

Just thinking out loud here. . . And sharing some ideas.

The benefits are mostly from the tandem set ups. Additionally you are carrying the load instead of dragging which means less wheel spin and plowing. You are also making alot less trips to produce the same volume of material.

We had an eight wheeler, tandem front and rear. If I were to purchase another one, which I am considering, it would be a six wheeler. Mainly for manuverability and easier to fit on a lowboy.

Thanks PALogger, for the info about the six wheeler vs 8 wheeler. I was hoping that a 6 wheeler would be good enough.

Metals406,
The more I look at the price of those, the more it makes more sense for me to start looking at making one. Especially if I want a tandem rear. I don't think this is going to happen this winter. I talked with the flotation tire guy again and now have the price somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 per tire 66x43x25 and $100 per wheel, so that is $2,400 for a set of 4. He thinks he'll have the right bolt count/size for the hubs but might not have the right offset needed. So I could have new centers laser/waterjet/plasma cut out and weld them in at the offsets that I want or just scarf the weld out of the centers that come with the $100 wheels and reweld them at the offset that I need. We'll see, for that cheap of a price, I might try 1 set on the 540B single action grapple and if it works good enough, get another set for the 518 CAT Swing Boom ...... have to see. I'll see how these tires work on the skidders, if its good enough to not warrant the pursuit of a floating forwarder then fine, if not, we'll have to evaluate that later. Its just too, cheap to get the flotation tires now, and hopefully they work.

I need to get this second swing boom started and finished. Once that is done will then take what I learned from that and consider making a forward off of a cheap burnt 540B's front end with an extended cab, with Flotation tires on the front and maybe tandems with the same cheap floaters on the back. I wonder how tandem axles with locking differentials would work if they came off of a semi, they are pretty cheap. I can get 150hp+ engines for it pretty cheap, add auxliary hydraulics to the back of the Deere transmission for the grapple boom. There is a 420 acre "mild hill" job where all of the wood has to come across a soft bottoms ground, so there would be a future for the machine. I think that $20,000 target could be a sound figure, I know were I can get the front half of a 540B for little of nothing. It would be a neat project.

Well on to other things. I just got back from the machine shop. Was installing a CAD system on my laptop for designing things on the road, took the 441 MTronic's SS muffler along for the ride. Had something neat in mind for it, then got into a rush and just hogged it out and left.
This is stock form.
IMG_20111129_201823.jpg

This is larger than stock, LOL.
IMG_20111129_204817.jpg

Should be rather free flowing.
IMG_20111129_204827.jpg

IMG_20111129_204850.jpg

This is a SS "grill" I was going to put in it, but that didn't happen, ran out of time.
IMG_20111129_204125.jpg

Yes, ranger/officer it does have the original spark arrester in it, LOL.
IMG_20111129_205016.jpg

Don't know if I've ever put pics of the machine shop up here, here are some:
IMG_20111129_182600.jpg

IMG_20111129_182607.jpg

Last edited:
Here are more:
IMG_20111129_182626.jpg

IMG_20111129_182640.jpg

Here is the wire EDM, its running two parts for some automotive wrist pin removal tool or something???
IMG_20111129_182616.jpg

The part looks something like this, but is broken, we're making two more.
IMG_20111129_195737.jpg

If you have never heard a wire EDM burn, this is a video and what it sounds like. Its cutting through those two pieces of metal with a .010 thick piece of wire, pretty neat if you haven't ever seen it before:

Here I stopped the machine and lowered the water level so you could see the "cut".
IMG_20111129_195924.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work shop there Sam,i woud fit in there well being a machinest for the last 26 years.

With that 441 muff modd,i have been thinking of some type of screen,it would be very easy for somrthing to get in there all the way to the p & c.I have made it a habbit when finished cutting for the day to pull the starter rope untill the piston is top dead centre to keep out moisture and anything else.

Nice work shop there Sam,i woud fit in there well being a machinest for the last 26 years.

With that 441 muff modd,i have been thinking of some type of screen,it would be very easy for somrthing to get in there all the way to the p & c.I have made it a habbit when finished cutting for the day to pull the starter rope untill the piston is top dead centre to keep out moisture and anything else.

Yeah, tell me about it. I'm going to get around screening all of my saws, as I recently had a worker, literally fill the muffler and complete PC area with nice clean saw chips, as they came out of another saw. No harm done to the saw, but had to take it completely apart to clean them all out.

I put a gapping hole in this muffler, with the intenstions of putting that larger screen sheet in there, just didn't have time tonight. Other than just one time, I've never had any issues with the large muffler holes, but it certainly could happen. I was thinking about just cutting out a large flatter section of the muffler and just tig welding in some of that screen sheet, I think the holes are 1/4" so it would be easy to figure the square inches to the desired area wanted. We have screen with varying smaller sizes of holes. I'm just going to put this one back on the Mtronic 441 and put the old steel one on it, back on my #2 441, where it came from.

Sam

Wow, that is a nice shop -- I could get lost in there and have some fun.

I like how someone painted the x/y/z axes on the EDM machine. Saves you from making right-hand-rule hand puppets, and looking like a dork, every time you clamp a new piece on the table.

Well blew the first line of this machines history with me. It was the line going to the drive motor for the left track. Wasn't very hard to get to....... lift the cab and there is the fitting, then take off 4 bolts and the cover under the rubber track and there is the other end. The hose was $64.
IMG_20111130_083724.jpg

IMG_20111130_083738.jpg

Yippy, water and mudd, another winter is here.
IMG_20111130_083645.jpg

IMG_20111130_083635.jpg

IMG_20111130_083747.jpg

IMG_20111130_083813.jpg

Here I am pushing some logs from the second pile to the log truck so he can reach them better. I then have to push him out and up the ramp.
IMG_20111130_113509.jpg

IMG_20111130_114317.jpg

I'm off to go sort and stack those last logs laying in the water. Oh what joy, LOL.

Sam

Well, got the original pile of logs gone and now have stacked another one. I left and am back in Kentucky now. I stacked these up for them to get tomorrow. They can stay on the hard packed rock so they won't get stuck. Notice how much the water went down.
IMG_20111130_152608.jpg

IMG_20111130_152614.jpg

This is the blocking pile or pallet wood.
IMG_20111130_152813.jpg

This is the grade ash pile.
IMG_20111130_152825.jpg

I'm back home and going to remove the living room/master bedroom a wall, move it or re-arrange it, and remove an old worthless chimney in the house and install a Blaze King wood stove in the house. I have ordered the flotation tires and will likely pick them up next week sometime.

Later,

Sam

Well since December 6th, I've been remodeling the house and getting some jobs lined up. I got a new one down here in Kentucky and haven't been working up in Illinois for some time now. I moved the 540B cable skidder and the MTL20 Track Loader down a couple of days ago. I started cutting today. I'm working with a contract farmer who is making a better creek crossing for his equipment and mine, so I'm moving a bunch of busted up concrete and he is using his 200 John Deere excavator to smooth out the creek crossing. I cut for a few hours this afternoon, while my skidder driver loaded concrete and dumbed it near the creek for the farmer to help get the log trucks across.

This is a 18" and bigger select cut of mild hill timber, mostly hickory, white and red oak, with some soft maple in the bottoms of the hills.

IMG_20120203_162622.jpg

1st tree cut after a few months of no cutting.
IMG_20120207_155920.jpg

The excavator need a few dropped to get them out of the way, these are two soft maples.
IMG_20120207_160902.jpg

Another one
IMG_20120207_171035.jpg

Here is a predictament. Slip and its a ways down, as in the root ball is hanging off of the creek bank.
IMG_20120207_172601.jpg

IMG_20120207_172609.jpg

IMG_20120207_172621.jpg

IMG_20120207_172747.jpg

I have a pretty neat triple that is to the right of this tree and I cut 2 of the 3, but it was very dark and the camera wouldn't take the photo. Will try to get it tomorrow.

Later,

Sam

Hi there Sam good stuff keep it coming.

How much quicker,ballsy would you say your ported 441s are compared to the stock 441 Cs with muff modd ?.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back