Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some Illinois jobs going, but they are too wet and I never got my flotation tires yet, been busy. This job is a 40 acre-ish mild hill job that dries out a little better, plus the landing areas are pastures that are going to be disked into corn fields, so they don't really care if I rut it up. The farmer is going to be there with a dozer today pushing back the edges of the fields from where they grew up.

Hi there Sam good stuff keep it coming.

How much quicker,ballsy would you say your ported 441s are compared to the stock 441 Cs with muff modd ?.

Cheers
Andrew

We'll the painted saw, I think is faster, but I never got a chance to run it side by side very much. When Steve and I were noodle cutting it was pulling a 28" bar buried at 12,200 rpms in seasoned ash and that was dogged in or loaded in the cut. His stock "unbroke in" 441 was high 9,000 rpms and we ran 8 tanks through it and it got into the low 10,000's with his expert tuning in the cut. The painted saw just couldn't be touched that day after Steve tuned it in the cut. and unfortunately I had many of my saws get stolen, including both of my Mtronic saws, one of which was never taken out of the box ...... never even cut the tape on the box, as I had traded the "sticked" 441 Mtronic to Steve, because he was going to buy one and I had one that had never been started, then got another one, when I went back home. I still have my painted 441 and my #4 441 .... I had 5 of them. They also took my 260 and my Killer 660, which really, really pisses me off, as I won't ever see another 660 ported like that again. That is the one saw I didn't take apart so I don't know what Terry did to it, the 441/Mtronic, I know what he did, but not that 660, that thing could murder a stock clutch. All in all, they took my black, Chevy Duramax truck and about $40,000 worth of rifles, pistols, saws, tools, welders and other such stuff. I got the truck back and some of the cheaper stuff, but no guns, saws, tools or welders/plasma cutters they took off with everything of value, so that has been a major setback. The insurance is going to pick up a decent amount, but the saws they won't because under my farm policy they won't cover "professional" equipment (thats my fault not theirs) ............ and well the saws got labeled as professional by them, big suprise there, they let the tools, welder and plasma cutter slide by ..... well, I think, haven't got a check yet. I had my family with me in the mini van when i pulled up to the shop at about 10:45pm and the shop door was open after a big storm, by all accounts we missed them by about 15 minutes, which is a mixed blessing, they would have been heavily armed at that point, and all I had was a Glock 27 and Karen and my 4 and 11 year old girls, so probably best that we missed them as it would have been hard to not go full into it, but it could have turned real ugly real fast at that point if they were cornered. So we'll take our licks and keep moving on.

This guy was suppose to be in the shop and usually is, but it was going to be 60F that day and I thought he would want to be running around at another place outside, that was the biggest screw up of the whole incident.
IMG_20120114_160706.jpg

Long and short of it, it was locals that new which of the big dogs was where, and they knew we were gone. The sheriff's caught some of them, but not sure what is going on, as they sure don't give up any information about what is going on in the case.

As to the saws, I will have to get around to porting one of these 441 Mtronic saws, I know I won't buy a 660 back for profesional use, as I just don't see the point in them, the 441 CM is a much better saw for cutting wood. The dealer has some 441 Mtronic's lined up at the store for me, but I'm going to see what insurance does, before a couple of those show up again. I can tell you this, I would have an Mtronic in those photos above, if I had one ............... does that answer your question, LOL, they just have such good manners for such a powerful saw, and there is something about that little guy in the computer adjusting things all the time, dog it in and you can tell he is working, LOL. The beauty of the Mtronic isn't in the peak RPM in the cut, which is comparible to any other 70+ saw or faster, its in everything else, its what makes everyone who has one happy with them, the 441 CM shows up to cut wood, period.

Well I gotta go, I've got an ex-amish guy adding new exterior walls to the house this morning and one hauling concrete for the creek crossing at the logging site down the road, and I need to be cutting trees.

Later all,

Sam

Thanks Sam,sorry to hear about all ya stuff getting stollen bummer :angry:
With a bit of luck and i hope ya get some of it back mainly ya saws,good luck.
Keep me posted about you porting the 441Cs im after another one.

yeah sam sorry too hear about your gear hope the insurance comes too the party with a big cheque

That sucks Sam, I hate thieves. Right after we built our place and moved to the farm my dads 4 wheeler was swiped from his place one night and tracks were visible in the mud next to my driveway and going right down the center of the drive all the way to the road. It had happened after I had got home on night at 1130 as the mud wasn't in the driveway when I came home and drove past his pole barn. The insurance company treated him well though.

Hopefuly your insurance does you right and you can get a new truck, I drove a friends brand new Duramax a few weeks ago and it ROCKED. On the other upside if you replace that 260 with a 261 you'll have a smile again.

My dad was a Ford salesman for 25 years, one night late when I was driving through the lot to look to see if my new truck was in yet I found a guy underneath one trying to steal the nerf bars. I took it as the guy was messing with my dads livelihood and all I can say is that the perp was aweful happy when the cops got there and I wasn't 'detaining' him anymore. But you are right it was likely a good thing that you didn't intercept the thieves.

Yeah Sam, sorry to hear about your stuff. Remember, it's just stuff. You're right about being lucky that you missed them, stuff can be replaced, you and your family can't. We had a rash of the same type of thing around here back around Christmas, I know how you feel. Sometimes the only comfort you have is believing that what comes around goes around.

12,000 rpm with a 28" bar buried in a cut!!! Sounds like you need to knock more off of the top of the gage teeth, then hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Here Menno is hauling concrete scrap to the creek bottom to be used by the farmer to make him and us a better creek crossing.
IMG_20120208_093214.jpg

Then I volunteered Menno and my loader to spread the red rock for the landowner.
IMG_20120208_103607.jpg

Landscape photos:
IMG_20120208_140044.jpg

IMG_20120208_140049.jpg

Here is the farmer's operator moving the 200 Deere excavator out of the creek.
IMG_20120208_140322.jpg

Here is the nasty triple that i cut last night in the dark. I haven't cut the third one down for obvious reasons, LOL.
IMG_20120208_151811.jpg

I stood on this one to cut the second one.
IMG_20120208_151833.jpg

Its leaning over the creek and limb locked with another tree. Probably will pull it with the skidder.
IMG_20120208_151856.jpg

Here is one of those little red oaks that everyone thinks they need a 660 to "stump cut", well I just use this little 70cc Stihl, it pulled 10,800 give or take going around it, the chain hadn't been sharpened for about 6-10 trees. Not real sure how much faster some of these people think they need to cut a tree down, LOL.
IMG_20120208_144105.jpg

IMG_20120208_144057.jpg

Here is my video comentary on the fine use of a fiskar's axe when I used up my only two wedges on a leaning sycamore that needs three to convince it to start falling over, LOL. I've seen the Europeans use some sort of lever tool to pry over those little trees, in the spirit of being open minded I figured I would try their technique ..... works pretty good, don't think I will use the wedges anymore, LOL.

Thanks for the good words guys. It is a setback, but that is life, we'll push on and do better.

Later,

Sam

Thanks for the pics Slamm, how deep is the creek that you guys are linning with the concrete?

Beefie

Well the water is just about 8-12" deep, the farmer wants a 50' wide crossing and he is making it, all I have to do is move the concrete and watch him work. My job is done at this point. We will start skidding tomorrow morning with the cable skidder, and here I thought my cable skidding days were over.

Gotta go,

Sam

More little oaks and hickory's falling to the modded 441 ......................... 62 of them today, and I didn't work for a good portion of the day due to dealing with insurance company and home remodeling issues. I wonder if the cookie cutters will ever understand why a modded 70cc saw is such an efficient slayer of wood?
IMG_20120209_115733.jpg

IMG_20120209_103736.jpg

IMG_20120209_155244.jpg

IMG_20120209_173246.jpg

Here is one going over. It needed a little help to go where it didn't really want to go.

Here is one of the three domino's done today. The other two were done when it was too dark to video.

Later,

Sam

Well my phone shot craps. So not much for photos of the last 120ish logs that were cut and skid. I got this one of Menno's Catahoula crossed pup riding the logs out of the woods.
IMG_20120211_160811.jpg

And this one of how thick the chips are when I back bar'd this tree, getting it to swing around and fall back into the scrub brush instead of the field where I would have to clean it up.
IMG_20120211_134018.jpg

We will be working tomorrow some, I have to take my Duramax to the mechanic to get a list of damage and get it fixed from the thieves, doing that sometime tomorrow. Then no work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, going out of town for the Master Logger's 3 day deal.

Cut a lot of nicer hickory yesterday and today and I'm really sick of them, they have to be the most miserable tree to cut, as they aren't just hard, everything about them fights you or hits you, a 1 1/2" branch will pinch your bar so hard you can't get it loose, and after you walk the top of the log limbing them, you can kick yourself mad, trying to step through or around the branches, as they won't budge or break or move. After cutting hickory a lot this morning, I got into a patch of burr oaks and what a treat, you can cheat and do a lot of things wrong and they just fall over easy. Red oaks are a joke compared to the shaggy hickory.

I started using my Danner Pronghorn Caulk boots and wow are they nice, say goodbye to slipping, and they make life so much easier.

Try to get a new phone tomorrow, it won't let me call out most of the time or answer the phone or take photos, if you do take a photo it doesn't save it???

Later.

Sam

our master logger update is only an 8 hr class. id be pissed off having to loose 3 days for the class. this time of year 3 days means a lot. especially with the rain my areas been seeing this year.

our master logger update is only an 8 hr class. id be pissed off having to loose 3 days for the class. this time of year 3 days means a lot. especially with the rain my areas been seeing this year.

True enough, but it won't do me any good to get mad about it. It has to be done, as that is the rules of the game in Kentucky. In Illinois we don't have to have anything ............... we can truly be hacks, LOL.

Its a 3 hour drive from here, so Menno and I are leaving early Tuesday morning and coming back Thursday. The other amish kid is going to refinish the hardwood floors, I'm not sure who has it worse, LOL.

Sam

hey sam is that a Hard-Head Falling Wedge sitting on the stump if so how do you like e'm or have you found better :cheers:

Cut a lot of nicer hickory yesterday and today and I'm really sick of them, they have to be the most miserable tree to cut, as they aren't just hard, everything about them fights you or hits you, a 1 1/2" branch will pinch your bar so hard you can't get it loose, and after you walk the top of the log limbing them, you can kick yourself mad, trying to step through or around the branches, as they won't budge or break or move. After cutting hickory a lot this morning, I got into a patch of burr oaks and what a treat, you can cheat and do a lot of things wrong and they just fall over easy. Red oaks are a joke compared to the shaggy hickory.

I agree. Hickory is no fun.

Yes, it is a hard head wedge. They are the only wedges I want to use anymore. They cost more, but last much much more. A couple of thoughts, as to why I like them.

With the steel head, they don't peen over period, and they really transfer the strike force to the wedge and lift harder than a normal plastic wedge. I like this because I like to carry/use the smaller/lighter Fiskars axe for modest wedging and getting out of a pinch. So I carry a lighter axe, but heavier wedges that last longer no matter what axe is used.

In my opinion, the only other wedges worth spending money on are those red/white K&H's I think is the name of them. They last really good for plastic wedges, and the triple angles lift wood very well and are faster then stacking wedges, but the K&H's still peen over and have to be trimmed and since they are plastic you loose some energy in the plastic instead of moving the wedge.

I've tried several other cheaper plastic wedges from different makers and they usually end up cost more money by breaking and being left in the woods next to the stump they broke on.

Sam

great post

Great post or more like a book. Enjoyed everything except for all the "advisors". They just need to start their own post to show us how it should be done instead of trying to tell you. "Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive." Proverbs 17:28

Keep up the good work.

Larry

Thanks for the good words, LPS8.

Ever just need to buy a few bars, LOL. Got these 20-20" ES bars for another guy, one of the guys is drive past his house so they are taking them to him.
IMG_20120217_084045.jpg

Well my dealer set me up with two Full Wrap Model 441 CM with 28" ES Light bars (he swapped the Half wrap handles out for me and swapped out the bars for me ............. I still had to pay for the bars and wrap handles. This is how they should come from Stihl ............ Stihl are you listening????? Get this, then Karen gets in the truck and drives 2 hours north with my saws in the back ...... I'm sitting here with no truck and no saws ......... this is wrong. Also got a 261, will try that out too..... needed a skidder saw. Its set up with 20" bar 3/8" Full Skip semi chisel.
IMG_20120217_084053.jpg

Timber buyer stopped in at the house and got me so we could go mark the logs for bucking up later, it too wet now and I don't want to run equipment on the wet ground when it should dry out later. Got some pretty decent grade logs out of these logs. There is 80+ more logs down in a valley that I forgot to photo.
IMG_20120217_105159.jpg

IMG_20120217_105236.jpg

Here we are at the Kentucky Master Logger's class. They did a poll and 65% of the people used Stihl saws and the rest Husky, there were no "Other" saws accounted for in this class................ can you say "Dolmar ...... whats that???" LOL
IMG_20120214_130916.jpg

Here we are inspecting some poor local logger's mess with the logging instructor and local forestry ranger.
IMG_20120215_110616.jpg

I don't know if I put this one in before ............... don't you just wish there was more crap in the tree over your head when you are trying to work, LOL. Lets just say I spent a lot of time looking up on this one, and it was a good thing, one dead branch fell within 2 feet of me when I was cutting it, and that dead snag that was leaning in it, fell right where I took that photo.
IMG_20120211_165024.jpg

Learned some neat stuff at the logger's class. Logging is 21 times more dangerous than all other forms of work when you average them together. It has the highest death rate per 100,000 (In Kentucky) period. Fishing and Commerical pilots are the other two front runners that can have more deaths per year, but they don't have more deaths or injuries per 100,000.

There is no other single job description, that is statistically more dangerous than the timber cutters, period.

Thats about it for today. Just some photos from this last week. Working on getting everything organized from the theft, still don't have my Duramax back, I paid for the saws out of my pocket because no insurance money yet. I see diesel is going up in price thats not good. Lost a day of work to bad/stale/jelly diesel. We pulled out about 50 trees with the diesel that was in the tank from last year ( I didn't use this cable skidder much) and the first 30 trees were fine then that 540B started smoking like a diesel drag truck and it lost so much power, that I considered mule logging for a few hours, LOL. Checked a few things and talked to some diesel techy people and came to the conclusion that we would suck out the old, soybean diesel from the Farm Service Company, and try fresh diesel and some treatment, sure enough the smoke finally quit and the power is back to normal, with logging there is always something.

Later,

Sam

Well here is my new 261. I don't want to run it anymore than I have as I can't clearly hear it 4 stroke, so I have to do that modd to the H Screw so I can turn it past the 3/4 turn.

I put some dual dawgs on I had laying around, they are for the 441's, but I like them a lot better than those horrible ones they sell for the 361. These 441 dawgs require drilling two new holes in the outside dawg, grinding off a tiny amount to the inner dawg (you could do it with a chain file its so little) and getting longer M5 bolts, but its well worth it, as I hate the lower tooth on the 361 "bucking" style dawgs.

I also added the Works Connection Tach to it before I started it. Drilled a little hole through the snowflake on the right side and threaded the wire through that little hole.
IMG_20120218_143715.jpg

IMG_20120218_143722.jpg

IMG_20120218_143747.jpg

IMG_20120218_143738.jpg

IMG_20120218_130859.jpg

IMG_20120218_130912.jpg

The scrench is pointing to where I drilled the hole for the mini tach:
IMG_20120218_130757.jpg

And your done:
IMG_20120218_130806.jpg

I started working on both of the 441CM's but I couldn't get the mini tachs to work on them like I did my other one, which did work. That said, I thought about it for awhile and tried a few things and failed a few times and then I did it, I figured out how to make it work flawlessly ............ stay tuned, LOL.

On a side note, I have purchased many of these Works Connection tachs, at least 25+ and I finally got one that didn't work. I will be sending it back, so we will see how the customer service is ..... won't we.

Sam

Latest posts

Back