Some sawing, logging and skidding pics and videos ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too windy to work so just messing around with the cell phone....

Been in some nice big hard maple, also had to fall some JUNK.

Put my 385 thru a coon in a basswood similar to the hollow one in the pic.

Should really be keeping a shotgun in the skidder in these woods. Lots of over-mature HOLLOW stuff...

And lots of blue paint.

Last edited:
Well yesterday was just one of those days.

First got all dressed up to drop trees complete with "cork" boots and water pack and chaps and helmet and wedge pouch and blah blah, and the log truck shows up, without any fore warning (he's suppose to call or text 30 minutes ahead), we wouldn't have even seen him if Menno hadn't looked back one time before going over a hill on the ATV. So back to the truck to unpack and I go load him.

Get back to skidder and new landing area and the boys have the dashed pulled on the skidder, and no logs on new landing???? The starter switch is broke, so we put the dash back together and hotwire it to get going, will fix it after it quits raining tomorrow. I cut a few trees and Menno cuts a few and the skidder starts blowing real bad black smoke. We had just put a brand new Deere air filter on it that morning, and filled with diesel from different station. I figure it can't be the air filter because its new, and I have had diesel problems 3x's before so I call neighbor, farmer buddy and go get some concentrate that seems to fix the problem pretty quickly, as the skidder won't even pull a hill in 1st gear. I drive 3 miles away and Billy (skidder driver) calls and he's so out of breath I can't understand him, other than all hell has broken loose. Finally I ask is Menno okay and he hands the phone to Menno and get the low down on how one of the batteries exploded, complete with a boom, sparks and fireball, LOL. Nobody was hurt so it was funny as all get out, as Billy stated he spent about .1 seconds trying to get the fire extinguisher out and then just dove off the skidder, LOL. He did kill the engine first, LOL.

Billy ran to Menno, and Menno ran back and put the fire out, it was just the battery burning ...... not the skidder.

So I finish getting diesel treatment as I was closer to the farm, than the skidder and head back to skidder. We investigate the situation and find that somehow one of the battery terminals appears to have jumped up and struck the metal cover lid, or it exploded and then hit the metal lid, either way its welded to the lid right now. Billy said there was a fireball about 3 foot in diameter as the battery lid got blown off the machine, LOL. I asked him if he crapped his pants and he said it was too busy making tracks to stop and poop ........... you would have to know Billy to understand ...... he's only been off the Amish reservation for about 4 months, so hes a little excitable, LOL.

We did take the time to investigate how far or how much distance that Billy covered in his dive out of the cab and it appears to Menno and I, that it could qualify for something more, nearing sustained flight, than just a one time act of springed propulsion, as the scrape marks in the ground are easily 20 feet away from the tire and his earmuffs were 30 feet away, after impact, making it easily the most impressive act of the day, bar none. Billy's later recolletions were that mid-"flight" he actually complitated that the landing might be worse than whatever demise awaited him back at the cab, but he wasn't thinking that when he applied the propulsion force with his legs, LOL.

Here is the battery that exploded.
2012-03-07_11-34-32_974.jpg

Note the terminal that has welded itself to the battery lid.
2012-03-07_11-36-11_103.jpg

So I apply diesel treatment and Menno goes back to cutting and Billy takes my saw for topping and I get two new batteries. Install batteries and start machine, pull a couple of logs and still black smoke and no power. I ask again did you really, really put that new filter in this morning. Yes, they did. Now bear in mind we swap filters every morning and take one back to the shop or air compressor and blow it out, just this morning I had them actually put a brand new one in the machine. The last logs the day before were pulled with no smoke and full power. Now the engine is running and I open the side panel and take the air cover off and sure enough there is a brand new air filter in there. I pear back to the rubber intake from the air filter to the turbo, its colapsed. I tell Billy to stop engine. I take the second/final little filter out and its covered with black soot. I go get a new one of those out of the equipment trailer, and fixed that problem ....................... I have no idea how the soot got there, its not on the big air filter and everything is sealed up good, but there it is.

Eat lunch, load trucks, talk to a local log buyer and go back to cutting trees, till after dark, Menno was topping in the dark, and I loaded that last log truck with lights on the loader, as it was 90% chance of rain lastnight and its pouring now. So back to remodeling house.

Loaded light in the back bunk because the road is getting really pumpy and trucks are about to get stuck, so light on last bunk all day.
2012-03-07_09-17-38_278.jpg

Another one.
2012-03-07_15-46-08_11.jpg

One of the reds that fell yesterday, notice the black rings of mineral and damage caused by the cattle. Gotta love pasture timber, LOL.
2012-03-07_10-03-39_933.jpg

A big and little double.
2012-03-07_10-55-18_698.jpg

While this was an exceptional day, I have found that logging has its ups and downs like anything other endeavor.

Sam

Last edited:
Got a laugh from your write up of Billy Bailing out, that sure was funny.
Good everyone's ok.

Nice load in last couple of pics.
Thanks for sharing.

did it make a popping noise under revs,sorta like small backfires?,i seen a kenworth cabover suck the intake pipe like that,turned out the pipe was old and needed to be replaced,problem solved,we had a few batteries explode like that too on some old Ford L8000 trucks,we put a piece
of 1/4" rubber sheet on top to stop contact with the lids

,we had a few batteries explode like that too on some old Ford L8000 trucks,we put a piece
of 1/4" rubber sheet on top to stop contact with the lids

Do you think the battery just exploded or that it hit the lid first and then grounded? In 7 years they have never touched the lid under near flip over angles, and there weren't any bumps or anything where he was at???

I will get them strapped down better and get some rubber over them anyways.

Sam

i was setting on my 955l cat track loader one morning and reached over to start it, when i hit the button the explosion underneath me litterally deafend me for about 4 hrs. nothing grounded out on the outside of the battery so it had to of grounded out on the inside. the batteries were wired 24 volt and were about new. you never know when one will blow.

i was setting on my 955l cat track loader one morning and reached over to start it, when i hit the button the explosion underneath me litterally deafend me for about 4 hrs. nothing grounded out on the outside of the battery so it had to of grounded out on the inside. the batteries were wired 24 volt and were about new. you never know when one will blow.

Yeah, Menno was running a saw, cutting a top and he heard the boom, but thought someone was shooting at the gun range. Then comes Billy racing over the hill on foot, LOL.

I honestly don't think they grounded out on the lid first and then exploded, I think the battery exploded and then the terminal hit the lid, because there isn't anything Billy was doing in the middle of a flat pasture that I haven't done way worse and Billy drives pretty conservatively, no racing or anything ...... which is good. I still bet he crapped his pants, LOL. There he is just driving through the grass and BOOM and a fireball with the battery lid blown straight off the nose of the skidder right in front of him, LOL, I laugh just thinking about it and him, he already gets so nervous he can't talk worth a crap at mild things, this probably took months off of his life, LOL.

Sam

well i didnt blow anything up today but i did absolutely burry my skidder over the axles today. the more i tried to get it out the worse it got. i broke the cable about 10 times before i finally got the skidder out of the mud. funny how when a 30,000 lb skidder sinks in the mud a 3/4 swedged cable wouldnt even begin to move it. my skidder has a 60000lb winch on it and the cable just snapped like dental floss.i was so muddy that i literally had to take all my clothes and put them in the back of the truck for the ride home. luckily i had my bib coveralls in the tool box to put on lol

Do you think the battery just exploded or that it hit the lid first and then grounded? In 7 years they have never touched the lid under near flip over angles, and there weren't any bumps or anything where he was at???

I will get them strapped down better and get some rubber over them anyways.

Sam

Do you think when they had the dash off or the hot wire had anything to do with the battery blowing up?

i needed to post this after reading some of the thread,with arguments going on in the thread also,you are very pic happy.

other than that the wood pics and pictures 'on topic' to do with the forum and chainsaws/wood are great,some lovely trees!!

Last edited:
Do you think when they had the dash off or the hot wire had anything to do with the battery blowing up?

No, it was just the starter push button that quit working. I just bypassed with a short 6" wire momentarily ..... just like the switch, then hung the wire up on the cage, for possibly later use, LOL, after that, since its a diesel there isn't any electricity running.

Its too wet to work now so I'll fix it later.

Sam

drkstaunton, thanks .......... now that you have warned me. Could you go back and edit that post to a blank. Thanks, its sorta disturbing. Why you wouldn't just PM your ideas, as appose to put that in out there is sorta well odd.

Sam

drkstaunton, thanks .......... now that you have warned me. Could you go back and edit that post to a blank. Thanks, its sorta disturbing. Why you wouldn't just PM your ideas, as appose to put that in out there is sorta well odd.

Sam

done,sorry not to have pm'd you,i was in a hurry. it was just how i felt after reading some bizzare comments on your thread,you seemed to be getting some grief,i have seen it on other forums,you just don't know nor can ever trust people online mate,

all the best
derek

Bringing one around, and making it fall where it doesn't really want to go.
2012-02-24_10-22-46_603.jpg

The scrench is pointing where it really wanted to go. The end of the file is where I undercut it to get the tree to start to swing around. Once you get them heading around you can really set them anywhere you want them to go.
2012-02-24_10-23-34_496.jpg

Would love to see some more of these pictures! And demo's

I will try to work on getting more photos like this and some video's of how we cut them. While its not the only way by far, I do think that how we cut them is very simple and provides the safety margin of a backstrap, while either not having to bore the tree out or reduce the boring cuts to 50%, which then makes the production difference very marginal, but the safety or control of the tree higher in certain instances.

Sam

I will try to work on getting more photos like this and some video's of how we cut them. While its not the only way by far, I do think that how we cut them is very simple and provides the safety margin of a backstrap, while either not having to bore the tree out or reduce the boring cuts to 50%, which then makes the production difference very marginal, but the safety or control of the tree higher in certain instances.

Sam

Im all ears
:popcorn::popcorn:

Also check out the Soft Dutchman cut for swinging a tree, I tried it with success this last weekend to swing a leaner away from a burning slash pile, it felt like it was going to pinch my bar in the back cut but it was just spinning before breaking the hinge. I wish I would have gotten it on video but it was my first attempt and I usually don't film first attempts. Videos can be seen on youtube on how it is done. It is not a hard cut to make and I got the tree to swing 45*.

Also check out the Soft Dutchman cut for swinging a tree, I tried it with success this last weekend to swing a leaner away from a burning slash pile, it felt like it was going to pinch my bar in the back cut but it was just spinning before breaking the hinge. I wish I would have gotten it on video but it was my first attempt and I usually don't film first attempts. Videos can be seen on youtube on how it is done. It is not a hard cut to make and I got the tree to swing 45*.

Search hotsaws101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvVY5jaY9jg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbN1sKN7IlI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Inspiring pix thanks Sam. The way your guys (USA's) meat exports have gone ballistic this year, (up 70%) you will probably see a lot more of this kind of logging work as farmers thin out their woodlands to increase grass production. One thing I noticed recurring in visits to your country was how much wood land (huge) and how few people there seems to be in rural areas. Good to see some real wealth creation kicking in. What are these logs destined to become?

Back