Something Gypo Logger's Never Cut!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Gypo's never cut burned timber!......but when you live and work in California you will have to work in the burnt timber. This burn happened last summer between Westwood and Susanville Ca. Appox. 60,000 acres. About 80% goverment timber and the other 20% private. All the private will get logged and replanted and a very small amount of the goverment ground will get touched. Here's picture of my son Aaron cutting a burnt douglas fir. All the trees 22" and bigger are hand felled and the small is processed by machine. Only 1 or 2 logs are bucked from the tree and again the rest is processed. Dirty work and hard on the saws. Chains don't last long, but his Cannon bars hold up well. All his saws are set up with Maxflow filters changed everyday.

moonlightburn003.jpg

moonlightburn005.jpg

Here's a big ugly Cedar. These will make you sneeze and cough......and plug up a filter in no time.

moonlightburn009.jpg

moonlightburn010.jpg

Over 1,000,000 acres of burnt forest here in Colorado, that would be close to the biggest Douglas Fir here! (mostly government, and the tree-hugger stihl love them)

What is that inclusion under your sons left foot?

It looks like inner-bark that the tree healed around, but dose not seem possible?

wildfire5_wide.jpg

Here's nice Ponderosa Pine......This isn't one, but I heard there's a few with 5-32's.

moonlightburn006.jpg

moonlightburn008.jpg

This is looking down the Ponderosa......The other shows a look at some of the bigger burnt timber there headed for.

moonlightburn007-1.jpg

moonlightburn012.jpg

Great Pix Dennis,

Looks like nasty conditions working in there. They just taking the butts for saw logs, or cleaning it all out?

How's the hip doin? :cheers:

Nice

Nice pics dennis! Those burnt trees would be hard on everything I bet. That ponderosa didn't look too bad. What saw is he running..066?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Great Pix Dennis,

Looks like nasty conditions working in there. They just taking the butts for saw logs, or cleaning it all out?

How's the hip doin? :cheers:

Yep!.....Dirty job.....They take everything, but they chip alot of the small wood.
Feeling good, just finishing up the antibiotics, then another new hip.

burn.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics dennis! Those burnt trees would be hard on everything I bet. That ponderosa didn't look too bad. What saw is he running..066?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Yeah......660 stihl

Just a got a 681 Solo from Bailey's today to try out, but the size of trees and the conditions might be a little tough on it. We'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back