Son gased my brand new MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital_Dad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My son was doing some yard work cutting up a tree with a friend and were almost done. I had to leave for work, just for an hour, his friend's chainsaw quit running and he asked to borrow my brand new saw that I have never even started yet. I hesitated and tried to offer other options/suggestions but he kept coming back to wanting to use mine. So off to work I go. I get back and he tells me he has to buy me a new saw tomorrow because mine is shot. He filled it with straight gas, no oil, ran it until it stopped, almost a tank. I pulled the muffler and the piston is scarred up but will move, I did not try to start it.

I looked online and it seems it may be possible to buy various kits to "fix" it. Are there any guides on here? Does anyone have any suggestions on brands of parts to use or stay away from? Or certain places/vendors/people specifically to buy from or stay away from?

Any help would be great since I have never tried to do anything like this before.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 2
Video of scratches

Am I wrong or does it look like the rings are missing?
nah, the piston metal is just smeared over it.
Sadly its probably going to be cheaper to buy a new saw than to rebuild this one, unless you do the work yourself even then its going to be close.
Its not difficult, just some fidly small parts, if I can do them without any instructions anyone can

I had an apprentice this year burn up 2 brand new Husqvarna 460 ranchers back to back. He blew up the first one and instead of trying to see why they just give him a second one which he promptly fills with straight gas. I rolled up and was pretty hot. He had a lot of work to do and I let him cut away with a hand saw for 2 days before going and getting him a new baby stihl.

Come to think of it, those two huskys are sitting in my shed, I should do something with them.

There are 2 sides to every story, I feel like we’re missing part of it.

Did you eventually LET him use your saw

Or

Did he start using it behind your back.

I feel like it’s the former and you didn’t include that.

If so, you replace your own saw. If the latter, he replaces it.

Lending comes with responsibility on your part to ensure that he knows how to use it and what fuel to use.

I mean, he owes him a saw either way. Don't borrow something you dont know how to use. If you borrow your buddies car and crash it because you dont know how to drive, youre still the one responsible for wrecking the car. You dont just walk away and say "bad luck, man. You shouldn't have loaned it to me"

There are 2 sides to every story, I feel like we’re missing part of it.

Did you eventually LET him use your saw

Or

Did he start using it behind your back.

I feel like it’s the former and you didn’t include that.

If so, you replace your own saw. If the latter, he replaces it.

Lending comes with responsibility on your part to ensure that he knows how to use it and what fuel to use.
I don't agree with that. I was taught that if you borrow something you return it in better condition than you received it. If he burned up the say, he should go get a new one, and if it was me I't throw in spare chain too.

Well I tore it all down and this is what I found, the parts that look bad are the piston, rings & cylinder. Any advice on what to do from here? Where do you even buy OE Stihl parts at? I see lots of other brands on Amzn and eboy, and other websites have parts too like tractor supply, but none look to be oem parts. Where do I find good parts?

Attachments

• 20231023_234523.jpg
    20231023_234523.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_234527.jpg
    20231023_234527.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231023_234549.jpg
    20231023_234549.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_234552.jpg
    20231023_234552.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_234637.jpg
    20231023_234637.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231023_234644.jpg
    20231023_234644.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
You may want to keep in mind that being a brand new song means that it has never had oil in anything which means that those bearing down inside the crank case also ran with no lube and are likely toast as well. Just let him buy you the new saw. We all have expensive lessons we have to learn in life. This one is either going to be yours for bailing him out or his for burning up a new saw.

I decided we're going to fix this one and he can have it and I get the new saw. Maybe he will be more inclined to take better care of it?

Any advice on sourcing parts?
I am not sure on a 180 as they generally are not a saw that gets fixed after a major failure. Check with the dealer you bought it from and you might be shocked at the price of parts.

People take new saws apart and sell the pieces on ebay. You will be looking for the engine module. See posts 14 and 15 above.

Things like this come with paper manuals, don't they? It is kind of vague if you expected him or the other person involved to use the saw in question.

Latest posts

Back