Spark Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Although this is about a generator it might be of use here.

My Coleman generator wasn`t starting, the plug had a bright spark and was wet with gas but wouldn`t fire.
It was time for me to take it to a service center.

They changed the plug and presto it fires and runs great.
The mechanic installed an NGK but said I should use a Japanese plug in my Coleman generator and Japanese plugs in any Japanese motor and use the NGK or Champion plugs in domestic motors.
What say ye all?

How come my reply to this subject was deleted ? oh well I guess darin is back. Opps maybe the budwiser is taisting very well.

ArborDude,
I didn`t know NGK was manufactured in Japan and I guess my service guy doesn`t know it either!
He said that`s what they had taught him, Japanese motors should have Japanese plugs and domestic motors(he mentioned Briggs) should have a domestic plug but I`ll question him when I see him the next time.
Are all NGK`s made in Japan or do they have plants in North America?

Kevin,

I do not know if NGK has manufacturing facilities in North America or not.

Let's say they do. If NGK manufactures a replacement spark plug for a Briggs 4HP engine both in North America & in Japan for Export, does this mean that the one made in N.A. is ok and the one made in Japan is not??!!!

Nothing in this world is as it appears anymore. Is a Toyota which is assembled in the USA from Japanese parts (USA Made)???

ArborDude

Kevin,
NGK is absoutely the best spark plug made. I think it has to do with the copper center electrode which NGK pioneered. It has a much wider heat range than other plugs. We've tried all the other brands and they just dont work as well. On our mac kart engines used for modified saw racing they are very hard to start cold with anything but a NGK plug. We've had a number of stihl 044 and 066's come in with broken side electrode's on the bosch plugs. They needed a new barrel and piston. very expensive. they also gas foul very easy when cold. NGK's plug no. for most chain saws is BPMR7A, there a little harder to find but well worth the effort. KDHOTSAW

Sonny, I didnt erase your thread. I dont know what happened.

Anyway, I agree with arbordude. Nothing is really what it appears anymore. Like with the Toyota annalogy. I also like Denso plugs a lot. Not as good as NGK, but for a less expensive plug its much better than Champion.

hey kd - why do you say use NGK BPMR7a for saws - everyone else that sells NGK's for saws says BPMR6a? is the heat range different?

also - is this the same reason places recommend bosch WS7F plugs for huskies and stihl's up to 046 and WSR6F for 064, 066, and 084 stihls?

Last edited:
ngk spark plugs

hello tundraotto,
been a while since I bought my last box but it seemed like thats was the heat range my 394 called for. Don't quote me but it seems like the 6's are one heat range hotter.
On your post on synthetic oils is right on. In europe the grand prix karts are running at 22,000- 23,000 rpm . they use nothing but 100 percent synthetic oil at 12.5-15 to 1 oil ratio. the chain saw people figure if stihl and husky saw 50-1 it has to be right. thats why they lose so many pistons and barrels on the stihls and the big end rod bearing on the huskys . if we modify a saw we don't want the job if they wont change to 32-1
ken

Hi There, I always use the NGK BPMR7A ever since I started using powertuned saws and have never had a problem, but I cant say that I have had problems with other plugs either in stock saws.
John

the biggest diff ive ever seen was in my ztr w kohler engine.
i decided it was time to change and the toro dealer gave me
champions.put them in ,reved the motor and put the older nkg s
back in. i cant see why there would be much difference cause all its doing is firing on the fuel ,air mix. but the motor definitly lost power and
while i didnt put a tach on it. it sounded like a loto difference.
nkg for me. later now

Last edited:
Sonny,
Isnt Bosch a german plug? Or is it just a german name? I thought it was cause Stihl uses Bosch plugs excluslusively for resale, although I think I have seen some cheap Champions in the Virginia Beach saws.
Darin

yes its German. I was just stating I that they were the best. When Regan was Pres. All the Stihls came with champions. Thats the first thing we did was pull the plug & insert a Bosch.That was then & now is now, (BUY AMERICAN )Sorry all my comrads In Canada & elseware.

NGK,Champion,ND they all make good plugs with the possible exception of the NGK assembled in the USA plugs. Has anyone tried the copper core autolites? I have used them in my saws and two stroke race bikes for years with good results.

cool, thanks kd and everyone else.

why does everyone sell bosch? theyre the same price as every other plug i have found? why do they specify 2 different heat ranges for stihls 064, 066, and 088? do they run hotter or colder?

what about champion plugs? listening to sonny takes me from bosch being a great advantage over champion and later not to? which one is it? AND WHY ?

how often should the plug be replaced? i clean mine every 2 weeks but wonder when i should just change em?

Last edited:
When I worked at the Stihl dealer last year, I encountered
a large quantity of fouled out Bosch plugs, so I am no longer
a fan. I sell champion in my shop, and don't really have any
serious problems to note. Champion has a more thorough
application guide, and most equipment comes with Champion
plugs, so for sanity's sake, I just stick with them.
As far as changing plugs, I don't unless the customer
requests, or a new plug improves the performance, in other
words, if it looks OK and runs OK, I put the old plug back in.
Fish

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but NGK is manufactured in Japan, so that kind of kills the theory of only installing US made plugs in US made products!!???

Depends on the plug. A lot of the ones with small engine only applications are actually made in Brazil and, as a result, not to near the quality standards of those ones made in Japan. If you go NGK, then make sure it's made in Japan.

Depends on the plug. A lot of the ones with small engine only applications are actually made in Brazil and, as a result, not to near the quality standards of those ones made in Japan. If you go NGK, then make sure it's made in Japan.

The last 10 plug box of Bosch plugs that I bought from Baileys a couple of months ago were made in Brazil. I was surprised and not particularly happy.

Back