Spark Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plug thread!
Just last week neighbor wanted me to look at his 450 JRed. It had sat for several years after his brother died and now wanted to get it going. Looked at the gas, looked freash yet.:confused: I just watched him dig it out of a box in back corner that had been moved in years! Switched was stuck, had to replace it. pulled on starter many times and would not start, checked for spark and there was one, put plug back in. Still no start. Went and bought new NGK plug and First pull it was running and then went and cut wood with it.
Years ago (about1969) I had replaced the old AC plugs in Dad's tractor with proper champion plugs, He went plowing and about an hour later he came home and asked me what the :censored: I had done to the tractor and I said "tuned it up" replaced plugs, points, cond., and timed it. He said put those old plugs back in. Tractor just didn't have power with those Champs in.we never have put another champ into tractors since. Not even the neighbors when he came here with it. Won't for small engines either, Bosch or NGK for them.

7 yr old thread? sweet.

Yep!

Some of them plugs maybe went bad again? :cheers:

AN old trick for the new dogs....

Any engine that won't start/fire , wet plug but sparks will get some wind in her sails if you heat the plug, usually.

Remove the plug, crank the engine a few times to dry it some. Dry the plug out with a soft flame from a propane torch and twist it in glowing hot, something usually happens!

More of an emergency idea, the plug should be replaced, but can get you by sometime.

The part about Bosch plugs breaking off in the engine is outtrageous! Talk about destroying an engine! I think Bosch should have to replace engines if their plugs are so poorly made........
But I have Bosches in all my saws, I thought anything they made was good.........
Bosch does own Skil now, or is it the other way around?

I have seen eSlay ads for "reconditioned" spark plugs. WTF?

Yikes, this is post #666. The mark of the chainsaw beast!

Last edited:
Back