Spike's GTG III

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little update on food. We will have 2 trays of sausage and peppers, and one tray of pulled pork to get things started. But, we'll need more stuff than that, so it would be best to go with the usual deal with guys bringing some stuff to pitch in.

Picked up my T540 sample at yesterday's meeting, so we'll all finallly get to see one. Going to fire it up today and see what it does. Also got back the 288XP that Randy did, and now that the rain has stopped I'm looking forward to making some noise and chip with that also. It's sure to make a lot more of both than the little T540. Got loads of compression; this is gonna be a fun one. :cool2:

A little update on food. We will have 2 trays of sausage and peppers, and one tray of pulled pork to get things started. But, we'll need more stuff than that, so it would be best to go with the usual deal with guys bringing some stuff to pitch in.

Picked up my T540 sample at yesterday's meeting, so we'll all finallly get to see one. Going to fire it up today and see what it does. Also got back the 288XP that Randy did, and now that the rain has stopped I'm looking forward to making some noise and chip with that also. It's sure to make a lot more of both than the little T540. Got loads of compression; this is gonna be a fun one. :cool2:

Let us know what you think of it........ :msp_thumbup:

Will there be a grill?

So this 540 sampile sounds interesting.

Any word on the 543xp?

Can the 550xp be ordered in a xpg model?

Looking forward to your GTG!

Supposedly November for the 550XPG:)

So this 540 sampile sounds interesting.

Any word on the 543xp?

Can the 550xp be ordered in a xpg model?

Looking forward to your GTG!

543's sometime next year. 550XPG's before the end of the year.

Didn't run the 540 yet; got sort of occupied with Randy's 288. I'm going to get hooked on this ported saw crap now. The 562 Terry did is another one. That thing sounds like if you turn your back on it, it'll come after ya. :msp_scared:

I'll have to try one of Brad's next. :msp_rolleyes:

543's sometime next year. 550XPG's before the end of the year.

Didn't run the 540 yet; got sort of occupied with Randy's 288. I'm going to get hooked on this ported saw crap now. The 562 Terry did is another one. That thing sounds like if you turn your back on it, it'll come after ya. :msp_scared:

I'll have to try one of Brad's next. :msp_rolleyes:

Is the 562 the one you broght to the Mass GTG, then had ported ?

Is the 562 the one you broght to the Mass GTG, then had ported ?

Yeah, same saw.

In addition to lot's of power in big wood, Terry's porting combined with the rev boost is something else when doing smaller stuff. I was using it to break down a huge hickory we dropped last Sunday up at Weimedog's farm. It was just blasting through the branches.

I won't be making any of the GTG's down there this year but I'd like to donate some food if anyone's willing to deal with it. If there's going to be a grill on hand I could ship down 25lbs of fresh caught Alaskan Salmon. I'd like to give back to the AS community for all the free knowledge, troubleshooting, wisecracks, and entertainment I've gathered here in the past few years. Let me know if I can help out.

I won't be making any of the GTG's down there this year but I'd like to donate some food if anyone's willing to deal with it. If there's going to be a grill on hand I could ship down 25lbs of fresh caught Alaskan Salmon. I'd like to give back to the AS community for all the free knowledge, troubleshooting, wisecracks, and entertainment I've gathered here in the past few years. Let me know if I can help out.

Wow, Alaskan Salmon. I usually steam mine on the grill in tinfoil :msp_w00t:

A couple guys have asked about grabbing some cylinders for various projects, so I figured we'd have a piston and cylinder sale in conjunction with the GTG. Need not be present to participate of course. :clap:

Grouped by model and price. They bounce around a little for whatever reason, but this is how they shake out. Some P&C kits for older Husky's, such as the 272XP, are made by Husky in their own factory in Brazil. (Where saws like the 272 and 288 are still built and sold. And, no I can't order them. :msp_razz:) They look as nice as the Mahles, and I've been using them for years with no issues. If the Brazil thing is something that you're uncomfortable with, then it's best to just pass on it now. :msp_rolleyes:

$250- 394XP, 281XP, 575XP

$225- 262XP, 254XP, 242XP, 246, 390XP, 372XT

$200- 372XP, 372XPW, 288XP, 395XP, 272XP, 346NE, 362XP, 365, 576XP/AT

$175- 257, 357XP, 359

$150- 346OE

Hmmmmmm, I got a VERY good friend at work that needs a top end for a 357xp. Might have to take one of those, I'll check with him tomorrow. He is DEAD set against A/M parts, only wants OEM.

Hmmmmmm, I got a VERY good friend at work that needs a top end for a 357xp. Might have to take one of those, I'll check with him tomorrow. He is DEAD set against A/M parts, only wants OEM.

Don't blame him at all. I've done some experimenting with the A/M kits, and I've found the failure rate way too high. I intentionally put a few out with commercial guys and told them to run 'em hard. Results were pretty disappointing.

A/M pistons in an OEM cylinder on the other hand can yeild some better results. Not a bad option for a guy doing his own work. But in a shop environment it still doesn't work out too good. Adding in the time to clean up the cylinder, which could easily be an hour, on top of the rebuild still results in a substantial bill for the customer.

Back