splitter wedge advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

origionalrebel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm using a w8x40 beam to be tied to a trailer. my thoughts on my wedge are to build up a post made of 3/8 flat 6" wide welded from top of beam to bottom of web. 3/8 is the thickness of the web. sandwich the 3/8 between two 1/2x6 flats welded top to bottom also and welded to the 3/8 all round plus plug weld the 1/2 to the 3/8 both sides. i plan to have a slip-on 2way and 4way to go over this post. post from top of beam to bottom will be boxed in. do you think this will be strong enough to handle a 5" cyl? wedge height likely 10" just beatin my head on the wall here.
:msp_confused::bang::dunno:

So is the sandwich going to be the wedge? If so, why not just use a 1" piece from bottom up to the ten inches above? My guess is it will be strong enough.

my thinking is that the 3/8 center will match up with the web of the beam for better welding. the 1/2 can then be cut in an "L" shape and have the leg of the "L" extend down the side of the web for welding. since the price of scrap has gotten out of hand it's really hard to find scrap to use for projects and i haven't found any heavy plate or flatbar around here. i'm just kickin ideas around.

Yep if your looking for material they think it is gold at the same price point but ifin your trying to unload it ain't worth squat. I gave up on scrap yards here and just buy new now, ya pricy but I get what I need and most of the time free delivery ( scrap here is damned near the same price as new anyway)

Latest posts

Back