Splitting axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on that. Way too heavy for any practical use. While they are lifting the rounds up on a block to hit with a monster maul, I'm done and drinking a col' one after using my "wussy" 6# fiberglass the correct way.
You are making it far too difficult. I just roll them upright and split them on the ground. Maybe I will shoot a short video next week, I have some 24" oak that I can demonstrate on.

I use a monster mual also when splitting most of the time just stand it up on the ground right were it was cut and split it but when your cutting wood thats 2 ft long anyway guess you dont need to set it on anything, it does the job most of the time, the few that it doesnt split ill save for the hydrualic splitter.
its heavy and the metal handle does shock you pretty bad have used lighter wood handle mauls and they are ok also, usually does the job they stick in the wood worse and eventually the handle breaks out of them the old monster maul is always there ready to go.

Never understood why some one has not created a maul and sledge with a handle similar to a pick-ax, mattick, grubbing hoe whatever you call them where you live. Just take an extra handle in the woods with you and no worries that way you could change it in a minute. Not to mention how great of an eqaulizer that spare handle would be if someone was trying to steal your wood!LOL

IMHO you just can't beat the feel and shock absorbtion of a good wood handle!

A good 3 maul plan is a fiskars pro splitting axe, a 6 or 8 lb fiberglass handle maul and a monster maul. They all are highly productive if you know how to use them and apply them to the right situation.

In honor of this chainsaw forum, I do not use a splitting maul or a hydralic splitter of which I have both. I simply noodle cut the rounds with either a modded 660/28" or modded 084/30" and can beat either hand splitters or the hydraulic splitter hooked up to a 100hp 4020 John Deere.

Its been years since I used a splitter, LOL.

Sam

In honor of this chainsaw forum, I do not use a splitting maul or a hydralic splitter of which I have both. I simply noodle cut the rounds with either a modded 660/28" or modded 084/30" and can beat either hand splitters or the hydraulic splitter hooked up to a 100hp 4020 John Deere.

Its been years since I used a splitter, LOL.

Sam

well I can also relate when cutting wood by yourself its not always easier to bring 2 vehicles to the site just to split wood especially with the 3 point splitters that run off the tractor, with a splitter that have there own engine would probably get used more, but I dont have access to one, and even then the terrain may often make it difficult to bring to the site. but noodling is deffinatly an option to get it loaded if its to heavy.

I don't know what yall are talking about. I call my hand held splitter a go-devil. I got mine at lowes. Its got a 8 lb head and a red fiberglass handle. I weigh 145lbs wet and can swing it for hours. Friskers has a heavier maul. It might work pretty good. But any type of splitting tool that has a axe like head will get stuck pretty easy in bigger wood.

Our Ace Hardware has them, too, and Ace is a national hardware chain.

My firewood mostly is logger's cords, with 16 inches the biggest diameter. The SS splits that just fine, though mostly I use a hydraulic splitter unless I feel like being a real man and wielding an ax. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I had to call around, and only one Ace in the tristate area had one. I bought it. Seems to be a little learning curve going from a maul to splitting axe. I didn't have any issue with swinging at my shins though, and I'm 5' 11". Pretty happy overall.

I don't know what yall are talking about. I call my hand held splitter a go-devil.

Go-devil is Southern Appy speak for splitting maul. At least, I never heared tell it that "up north". Took me a while to figure out and I was looking around for a guy with a pitchfork and bifurcated tail at first.

Go-devil is Southern Appy speak for splitting maul. At least, I never heared tell it that "up north". Took me a while to figure out and I was looking around for a guy with a pitchfork and bifurcated tail at first.

Yeah, your right. I almost chose go_devil44 as my username. But what pops21 has is a go devil. I think maybee what we are talkin about is an axe. I know Baileys has the fiskars go devils though.

I had to call around, and only one Ace in the tristate area had one. I bought it. Seems to be a little learning curve going from a maul to splitting axe. I didn't have any issue with swinging at my shins though, and I'm 5' 11". Pretty happy overall.

I tell everyone to be extra careful with the Fiskars SSA. I had always used a longer handled 8lb. splitting maul and was a little careless with the SSA when I first got it. It went right through my boot and socks and into my foot! I was lucky that it only required 3 stitches in the ER.

My lesson is to ignore the fact that the has the look of and is head-heavy like a maul. Keep the feet apart and swing like it's a chopping axe, letting the axe do the work (no big sweeping maul swings are necessary).

Enjoy your new tool! :cheers:

A good 3 maul plan is a fiskars pro splitting axe, a 6 or 8 lb fiberglass handle maul and a monster maul. They all are highly productive if you know how to use them and apply them to the right situation.

I prefer to use a saw on those that doesn't split easily with the largest Fiskars axe.

I got that True Temper one from Lowes and I thought it was just meh... until yesterday.
I hardly split wood and was thinking about getting the Fiskars just because of how people talk about it on here.
But I saw a post where a guy thinned out the head of the True Temper and gave it a nice smooth (sort of thin) taper from the edge of the blade to where the head flares out.
I did that yesterday and split up a bunch of white oak that was about 10" to 12" in diameter and that thing was firing the split logs like cannon balls a good 20' or so when I gave them a hard hit. Of course that was the first time I used a chopping block too.
So no Fiskars for me. I am going to get another Fiskars 14" hatchet today since I can't find mine, that thing makes quick work of trimming the small branches off bigger ones so they'll fit in my chipper.

I think the 6# maul is the most productive splitting device with a 36" handle.

Being left handed, I simply bring the head of the maul even with my right ear, with my left hand on the heel of the maul and right hand about 20" or so above the left hand.

Then I swing with authority and when the maul is almost level I slide my right hand down to meet the left in one fluid motion.

It has much the same effect as whipping a towel. I rarely use a chopping block and the maul doesn't seem to mind the rocks. A ground level stump works good as splitting surface when in the woods.
John

Back