Stacked VS tossed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treebilly

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What do you guys think the percentage is? I've got a 14x7x4 dump trailer and I'm just throwing split firewood in it. The wood goes to my parents so I'm doing it for nothing while my four brothers stack it once I deliver it. I'm just trying to get an estimate so I know when they have enough. This is the first year I might actually be ahead of the game and want to know when to stop so I can get back to my wood.

Stacked = 3.0625 cord if everything is perfect. If it equals out to around 180 cubic feet loose I'm good with five loads. I think my dad lights a fire late September and let's it go out the end of May. He's nuts but what can I do? I've got the third load on the trailer( need to put the top gates on the back and finish it off before I go to work). Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be done with that and can get back to mine.
Thanks for the reply. First time I've dealt with loose wood. I usually have it stacked and take it over in the late fall. Also this is the first year with the trailer. Always used a chip truck and I've had 3 different bed sizes over the years and also loaded well after dark so I never really filled them good

Have your brother measure the stacked wood after you deliver a trailer load and that should give you a real life figure on how much per load you have. Good for you to give your parents help with wood.

Tree Bill your trailer holds exactly 3 cords if carefully stacked. If your are cutting 18" x 6-8'' split wood then your trailer will hold 1 cord randomly piled. Or roughly 33% of your normal load. It takes about an hour to stack a trailer unless it is very damp or randomly cut. Thanks

Tree Bill your trailer holds exactly 3 cords if carefully stacked. If your are cutting 18" x 6-8'' split wood then your trailer will hold 1 cord randomly piled. Or roughly 33% of your normal load. It takes about an hour to stack a trailer unless it is very damp or randomly cut. Thanks

Wrong answer.

good math: trailer holds 3 cords if carefully stacked. 392 cuft. /128cuft equals 3 cords.
Better math: expansion factor for tossed or dumped wood is .3 or .4, matters not the size. A cord stacked at 128cuft becomes 128x1.33 equals 170cuft tossed. trailer at 392cuft/170cuft equals 2.3 cords, or roughly 75% of a maximum load.

We will find out soon enough. My brothers are supposably going to stack it all tonight and tomorrow. Three loads there already. I might be able to get the next one or two there by the end of next week. I've got another long day at work tomorrow and a long day ( which will go by to fast) of fishing with the kids Sunday. Hopefully another good run of bluegill. Last time we had leftovers!

My 10' x 5' x 2 1/2' deep trailer holds pretty close to a half a cord packed in there tight.
I'm only burning through about two cords at shoulder times in a season, plus the pellet stove for the main cold season.
How many cords do they normally burn through in a season?

They go through ten full cord. Like I said, my dad lights it way to early and let's it go out way to late. They also burn in an 1980's insert that should've been replaced at least twice since he installed it when I was a wee lad

You are moving 2 cords on the nose. I have a 16' dump, 40" sides. Tossed in and heaped over is slightly over 2 cords. What are you pulling the dump trailer with? That's a serious amount of weight! Especially deeper in the Appalachian Mountians. Maybe not for a flatlander.......

Back