stacking firewood on concrete blocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi,i was thinking of stacking firewood on concrete blocks with treated wood on top of the blocks.So what size blocks would be the best? should i use solid blocks on edge 4"x8" or regular two hole 8" blocks. Also how far apart? I was thinking 8' if i use 4x6 post,or maybe 4' if i use 2x4 on edge? thankyou!

I haven't used concrete blocks, but you can get skids for free.

And when they get too bad to use you can burn 'em.

Two holes are stronger holes up like for building, BUT, strong enough on their sides and that lets more air in and under the wood.

I am using pallets on top of rail road ties now. Because that is what is here to scrounge. I have some other stacks on pallets up on scrap bricks and concrete chunks and pressure treated scraps, but I ran out of those, so went to the ties. NICE and up in the air and enough clearance the cats can run under there, which I think will help with the rodentias.

I dont like the pallets right on the ground, less air, plus they rot that way. But, thats better than just on the ground.

Cinderblocks laid sideways with treated landscaping timbers on them would work fine. A block every 2 or 3 feet will serve.

Make sure the blocks have a solid surface beneath. If the ground is soft, the weight of all that wood stacked on 'em may cause them to sink, resulting in an unstable stack.

The wood I have outside right now is only up on treated landscape timbers. It is only temporary.

I like the used blocks idea.

At a local home center the other day I noted that the price of cinder blocks did not always relate to their size (?). The larger size blocks were on sale for a lot less than smaller sized ones. So I would put down a little gravel (as noted above) to form a base, then see what I could find in used or on sale blocks.

Philbert

i'm a big fan of using cinder blocks. Note how three rows of blocks hold two stacks of wood and four rows hold three stacks, etc. Landscape timbers on top of blocks would not work out like this. I suggest not buying any lumber and put your money into cinder blocks or find used ones like i have. They last forever!

274870d1358870818-end-detail-jpg

you can leave several inches between blocks lengthwise if you like to gain more length of stack but i've got plenty of blocks.

274868d1358870721-front-detail-jpg

very nice!!!!!

Hello,
The making of wood racks to me is a very interesting subject. That is because I have been experimenting building them in a variety of ways for some time now. I am always trying to find how to build the strongest rack for the cheapest....or that relates to buying the least amount of lumber !!!! After I build a rack, I always set it up on 6 (8"x16") concrete blocks.....2 on each end and 2 in the middle. My latest style of building a rack is with using (pressure treated) 3@ 10' long 2x4's set up on edge. I make the racks 20" wide, so I cut 2 more pieces of 2x4....17" long and attach them with screws (at each end) between the 2 outside 10' 2x4's. Then screw in from the end pieces to attach the middle 10' piece, it will be cut 3" shorter. Then I cut 2@ 20" pieces and attach them exactly in the middle from end to end, one on top and one on the bottom. That will keep the long pieces from spreading and also gives you an area to place the concrete blocks. Then I attach 2 more 20" pieces to the under side only.....one half way to the end from the center on the left and one on the right. Even though it costs more money, I found that using 3 10' pieces instead of 2, really helps it from bowing down from the weight of the firewood. This was more info than you asked for, but I thought you might be interested. Good luck. If anyone has any other questions about the racks, just send me a private message.

Henry and Wanda

My Stacks

I find old free bricks at constrction sites.

Space them out, 24 bricks per 8' section, 12 on each side spread 16" apart. No treated wood on top.

Has worked great so far.:rock:

Latest posts

Back