Starting to get a bad feeling about this,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxono3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a 440 on ebay. Paid $555.00 including shipping. High I know but the saw looked good and the guy selling it said it was in good running order. He had installed an after market cylinder and said it had good compression. I like 440's so what the hell, I always need saws, I bought it. Seller stated ship it back for full refund if your not happy.
When it came the first thing I noticed was the clutch cover was not a stihl part. Chinese after market. Well, okay, its just a clutch cover. No big deal.
Then I pulled the started cord a few times. Heard some clacking in the recoil assembly. Still no big deal. Took it to work. Didnt use it for three or four days. Then after launch one day I decided to put it to work. Gassed it up (stihl 2 cycle fuel mix) it started right up. And smelled real bad. Like something was burning. Cut one tree and the smell was gone. Saw ran good, the carb needed adjusted, saw would not idle long enough for me to get the tape on a log and measure before it stalled. Still no big deal.
Then, on the second tank of gas I put through it, at full throttle the saw blew. From full rpm to paper weight in a split second. It was locked up tight.
I contacted the seller. Told him what happened. He told me dont send it back. You need to take it to a Stihl dealer and find out whats wrong. Okay. I did. I took it to a saw shop I do a lot of business with. Shop owner called me three days later and said the saw is junk. Would take more to fix it than I paid for it. I told him I had a another 440. Could he piece a running saw together out of the two? He said, Dave, its not worth it, theres not much to salvage here.
Okay. He writes that up on his letter head explaining what all is damaged for the guy I bought it from. I contact the seller. Tell him what the stihl dealer said. Told him Id mail him the letter head from the stihl shop and gave him the stihl shops number and suggested he call to talk to the mechanic. I also suggested I keep the saw for parts (to ship it back to him will cost at least $55.00. And told him Ill except a partial refund. He says he wants the saw back to see what went wrong. I say no problem. Ill ship it right back. Then I want a refund. Reading this guys emails I have the impression he is saying I did something wrong (like straight gassed the saw).
Im a logger, I know how to run a saw. I didnt even adjust the carb before it blew. But reading between the lines I think this guy is not planning on giving me my money back. I could be wrong, hope I am. Im not going to post his ebay name yet. If he makes it good I will. And Ill say he's an honest dealer. If he doesn't make it right I tell you his name to warn you. We'll see what happens.

File a complaint with PP and Ebay, you will likely win. Posting here with no hard facts will make you feel better but doesn't help us figure out what went wrong.

Personally, I would never have taken it to the Stihl dealer; that just allows him one more layer of blame-shifting. I would have asked him to take it back and filed a complaint if he refused.

File a complaint with PP and Ebay, you will likely win. Posting here with no hard facts will make you feel better but doesn't help us figure out what went wrong.

Personally, I would never have taken it to the Stihl dealer; that just allows him one more layer of blame-shifting. I would have asked him to take it back and filed a complaint if he refused.

File the PayPal now, even before you send it back so that he gets the message...your not screwing around! There is a time limit and if you exceed that limit... you will eat that saw's cost.

Get the saw back.

Note every part that is Chinese {not as advertised}

Contact E-bay and Paypal, make your case.

They will have all of the info we don't have. You will likely come out fine........

You had it for a few days and ran some gas through it, what would you do if you were in his shoes. I am not saying you are wrong but these are the risk you take when buying used, you should have returned it the minute you saw the cheap cover. Good luck.

So Dave,
If you get your $555.00 back, are you going to put it towards a new MS 440 MAGNUM from the shop you do a lot of business with?

So Dave,
If you get your $555.00 back, are you going to put it towards a new MS 440 MAGNUM from the shop you do a lot of business with?

Yeah, that is another tangent!!!!!

You paid "THAT!!!!!!!" for that saw rebuilt with Chinese parts????????????

Maybe you need a good whoopin!!!!

Seriously, Paypal/Ebay will bail your arse out......

Hey, just some insight here: I sell a good amount of things on ebay, so i have been on both sides(probably bought more than ive sold..).

File the complaint, now not later. It is "protocol" for lack of a better word, for ebay to refund you not this guy. If he refunds you then you take a hit on shipping back to him and a 3% paypal charge on funds he sends.

As a matter of fact i sold a tuner for a dodge diesel a few years back. My brother in law took it off his truck and wanted me to sell it for him. He said"i returned it to stock", i trusted him.... new owner gets it and will not load on his truck. It was still VIN locked to bro-in laws truck... sheeesh! Anyways, i told him i would refund shipping and all... before i knew it he did a complaint and ebay/paypal "took" the money out of my paypal until the resolution center resolved the issue. I refunded him, no big deal.

Sorry for the long post, but you need to file with the resolution center, pronto!
Mikey

Did the Stihl mechanic tell you what the "extent" of the damage is ? Scored piston and cyl, broken rod or what ? If the saw is in good shape otherwise...I would be prone to request a partial refund($250) and rebuild it if the cosmetics and plastics are good. Just a thought.

I bought a nice "toasted" 026 Pro a month ago that was advertised as "all OEM". When I received it, found a Chinese p&c totally trashed. I filed a claim and got enough refund to buy a good used OEM topend. Worked out fine for me.

Did the Stihl mechanic tell you what the "extent" of the damage is ? Scored piston and cyl, broken rod or what ? If the saw is in good shape otherwise...I would be prone to request a partial refund($250) and rebuild it if the cosmetics and plastics are good. Just a thought.

I bought a nice "toasted" 026 Pro a month ago that was advertised as "all OEM". When I received it, found a Chinese p&c totally trashed. I filed a claim and got enough refund to buy a good used OEM topend. Worked out fine for me.

At any response, you want the "Stihl" guy to go out on a limb and say what?

So Dave,

Nope, 441 mag. Told him to get one ready for me with a 20 inch bar. Picking it up tomorrow.

At any response, you want the "Stihl" guy to go out on a limb and say what?

Dont want him to say anything other than whats broke and what it would cost to fix. How is that asking him to go out on a limb?

I see your point. I was just trying to work with him but maybe that was a mistake. Guess Ill file with ebay/paypal right now. Figured I'd give the guy chance to do the right thing. I sure appreciate it when someone gives me a chance and the benefit of the doubt. Somebody asked what I'd do in his shoes. Well, I'm an honest man. Id refund his money.

I'm not asking anyone to go out on a limb. I am just asking the OP if he has been told what the extent of the damage is.

Yes he was...

"He said, Dave, its not worth it, theres not much to salvage here. "

Although the "extent of the damage" is of no consequence on a happiness guarantee!

"Seller stated ship it back for full refund if your not happy. "

If I sold the saw, I wouldn't refund it. I'd probably refund $100 or so. As far as warranty, I wouldn't trust anyone who notices a burning smell from the saw but continues to just run it anyway. If the saw was a dud from the begining and had some pre-existing issue that I just happened to miss before selling, then it'd be a full refund. But running two tanks of fuel through it, noticing a burning smell and continuing to run it, then having it declared dead... nope.

I would say that the burning smell was just the oil and new gaskets, you know that fresh rebuild smell you get when you first fire up, although you would think that the seller would have test run the saw after rebuilding it and before selling. I agree though The first thing i would have done is check and adjust the carb as needed. I would have set the carb a little rich for a while. The saw not wanting to idle though sounds like an air leak?
I think you'll be alright in the end. eBay is pretty good with there buyer protection. i don't think they spend very much time investigating, they usually just side with the buyer and give you your money back. I think you have 30 days from the sale date to open a claim. after 30 days you're SOL Good Luck
PS The 460 weighs the same as a 441 or 440 (more power > same weight :rock:)

Latest posts

Back