Starting to get a bad feeling about this,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not absolutely sure but I think you have 45 days to file your claim. That would give the seller time to check the saw after he gets it and refund your money. Most sellers on ebay aren't crooks, he'll probably give you your money back even if you don't file a claim against him. You can track when he gets it and give him a day or two to do the refund.

I hate to say it, but if i was a judge listening to this case you would loose.> Sorry
Your words can incriminate you. You said that you knowingly ran the saw (two tanks of fuel) through a saw that you knew was out of tune and the carb needed adjusted and didn't idle correctly. The first question i would have if i was investigating this case is why would you (an experienced chainsaw operator)
continue to operate a saw that was not running properly, without stopping to investigate?
Like i said earlier, I think you will still win your case, eBay will just refund your money they usually always just side with the buyer.

The Stihl dealer will shoot you a quote of a new oem piston/cylinder, and labor, maybe seals , bearings, etc. That should be over $400 there.

Why?

As sad as it is set up, you will get your money back, if you follow their guidelines...........

The seller doesn't have any choice in the matter.

I sold a new fuel line and filter a few years ago, a guy contacted me saying item was not as described. After a lot of back and forth, I said
"Just send the part back with the mailer it was in, and I'll send another".

The guy was stupid enough to send both parts of the fuel line, and the mailer that was opened with a razor knife. I contacted E-bay, and
told them the details. They said to send him another, or give him a refund. If you don't, we'll take the funds out of your account. And
he will possibly also give you a negative.
I asked, even if I give him another, can he still give me a negative??? Why yes, of course.........

But suppossedly that policy is changing in May, how much it will change in reality is hard to tell.

What's the sellers feedback score? I've been burned a bit on purchases but they always worked out. As a seller I have made mistakes and refunded all the money including shipping.

I won't dog you for making a mistake in purchasing a re-built saw, we all make mistakes that's how we learn. Before you send this saw back please take detailed pictures of all it's components. Not fuzzy "could that be Sasquatch?" pictures, but good clear maco/super macro pictures in good lighting. Include pic's of the piston and cylinder scoring, & the make/brand of the jug. Your saw is the body of evidence, so documenting it in detail is the most important thing you can do.

I make a lot of ebay purchases since I'm rural...actually beyond the sticks. In the last couple of years I have seen a trend of sellers not giving a rat's arse about their feedback score. For example I was looking at a carb for a Honda Foreman & the seller has 22 negative comments in the last month....22!!?? And yet people were still buying items from him...you have to be kidding me:bang: I look at all my sellers feedback and I expect them to have one like mine...100%. If it's less then 100% I read their feedback and make my own mind up as to whether or not to do business with them because some times the buyers are whiney unrealistic jerks.

99% of the time though, I will pay a little more to do business with a seller with a spotless record & so far it has worked for me.

The Stihl dealer will shoot you a quote of a new oem piston/cylinder, and labor, maybe seals , bearings, etc. That should be over $400 there.

Why?

As sad as it is set up, you will get your money back, if you follow their guidelines...........

The seller doesn't have any choice in the matter.

I sold a new fuel line and filter a few years ago, a guy contacted me saying item was not as described. After a lot of back and forth, I said
"Just send the part back with the mailer it was in, and I'll send another".

The guy was stupid enough to send both parts of the fuel line, and the mailer that was opened with a razor knife. I contacted E-bay, and
told them the details. They said to send him another, or give him a refund. If you don't, we'll take the funds out of your account. And
he will possibly also give you a negative.
I asked, even if I give him another, can he still give me a negative??? Why yes, of course.........

But suppossedly that policy is changing in May, how much it will change in reality is hard to tell.

The policies of ebay never change in favor of the seller. Ebay considers the sellers their slaves and will keep selling no matter what they do to them. So far they're right but a few sellers no longer use ebay..
When buying a used chainsaw one should check it thoroughly before starting it up. I assume they're not perfect if listed as used or for parts or repair. If the item is not as described you should send it back unless you want to repair it and keep it. Partial refunds are against ebay policy but sometimes are done anyway to avoid high shipping costs.
Not a good idea to take a used saw to a Stihl dealer for his opinion because his opinion is that you should buy a new Stihl from him...

Not a good idea to take a used saw to a Stihl dealer for his opinion because his opinion is that you should buy a new Stihl from him...

I agree. It wasnt my idea. The seller demanded I take it to a dealer before he would even talk. I did what he asked me to. Now he doesn't like the result.
I filed the complaint with ebay. After that the seller demanded I send the saw back at my expense. He would fix it, charge me, then wanted me to pay for the return shipping. So now he is admitting its broke. He also admitted that the saw had after market parts he didn't mention when selling and parts missing.
Ebay emailed me and asked me to call them. I did. The guy listened to my end of the story, then suggested I go the final step and let ebay make the call. I did that. They said I'll have an answer inside 72 hours.

Did I learn something from this? Well, no. Ive bought 3 saws on ebay so far. One was great. One had problems, I contacted that seller and he said, yup I was afraid of that. He refunded me for parts and I installed them. No big deal. This didnt have to go this way. I tried to work with the guy. He wanted to play hardball. Okay, its up to ebay now one way or the other.

My experience has been that the people who want to play hardball are the people with something to hide. People who just want to have a good transaction for everyone involved aren't going to play hardball.

I agree. It wasnt my idea. The seller demanded I take it to a dealer before he would even talk. I did what he asked me to. Now he doesn't like the result.
I filed the complaint with ebay. After that the seller demanded I send the saw back at my expense. He would fix it, charge me, then wanted me to pay for the return shipping. So now he is admitting its broke. He also admitted that the saw had after market parts he didn't mention when selling and parts missing.
Ebay emailed me and asked me to call them. I did. The guy listened to my end of the story, then suggested I go the final step and let ebay make the call. I did that. They said I'll have an answer inside 72 hours.

Did I learn something from this? Well, no. Ive bought 3 saws on ebay so far. One was great. One had problems, I contacted that seller and he said, yup I was afraid of that. He refunded me for parts and I installed them. No big deal. This didnt have to go this way. I tried to work with the guy. He wanted to play hardball. Okay, its up to ebay now one way or the other.

This seller is trying to game you. There's nothing that says you have to take it to a shop to find out what's wrong with it. I agree that you are supposed to send it back at your expense but he is supposed to refund you all that you initially paid, including your original shipping. You will be out the money you spent for shipping but that's all. Ebay should rule in your favor. If PayPal had reimbursed you the money from the seller's account you really wouldn't have to send the saw back, but that's kinda dirty pool... I'm glad you filed a claim instead of trusting the seller to do the right thing..When you get your money and everything is kosher, don't forget to give this guy a neg.

I believe that if the OP gets his money back. He will not be able to leave a neg comment. As a seller I appreciate buyers like you. You try to make things work out. You dont expect perfection. This saw was a misfit from the time it was repaired, You will and should get all your money back for this saw. Keep us informed.

Get your money back and call it good. You will have to eat the shipping the saw back to him. Don't accept the saw back from seller!

When I have listed saws that run I list them as I have used them and run them personally and I know what or how they will run and post as such.

It would appear this guy threw parts at it and sent it down the road without really knowing ho the saw was going to run. Send it back and demand a refund. Just make sure you put everytyoe of tracking number you can on the saw and note the serial number and even go tot he extent of taking a picture of the saw before you ship it back, cover your tracks.

No way would I accept the saw back from that seller since if he knew what he was doing rebuilding saws this never would have happened int he first place.

I had one saw that I sold that I mutually took back from the buyer on eBay (memeber here I found out) and it was still a pleasant transaction. It was my mistake in a dumb momment I put the fuel pump gasket against the carb saw body and it would flood the saw out terrible at idle. I refunded the person his money and all is good. If he wants he say how it went from his side as to how I dealt with it. I knew the saw was a good saw so I had no issue taking it back.

Your seller playing victim would make me very wary that you did something bad. No way shoudl you have to d a bunch of retuning on a saw at that price level. You should have been able to fuel/oil and go. You got burned now make him pay up for it and get your money back and hopefully you can find a better deal here in the AS auciton saws.

If I sold the saw, I wouldn't refund it. I'd probably refund $100 or so. As far as warranty, I wouldn't trust anyone who notices a burning smell from the saw but continues to just run it anyway. If the saw was a dud from the begining and had some pre-existing issue that I just happened to miss before selling, then it'd be a full refund. But running two tanks of fuel through it, noticing a burning smell and continuing to run it, then having it declared dead... nope.

This is why Ebay has a buyer protection policy.

I've been taken on Ebay. It's no fun and I've got my money back from paypal. But this is a bit unique in that it's an engine powered machine and wasn't dead on arrival. If I were the seller and was confident I sold a good saw. And that saw ran when the buyer got it but two tanks of fuel later was junk, I'd suspect user error.

514mach1;4243721If I were the seller and was confident I sold a good saw. And that saw ran when the buyer got it but two tanks of fuel later was junk said:
I could see where you would think user error. But, it wasn't. I used the same fuel with stihl 2 cycle mix I use every day with several other stihl saws. And I never got through the second tank, it blew before I used much of the second tank. Ive been criticized here for not adjusting the carb right off the bat, and no I didn't. I was testing the saw out and had not even gotten that far yet. I wanted to see what I had. Had the saw not blown I would have tuned it up and replaced a few parts on Sunday, which is the day I usually dont log. I go over all my saws every Sunday. Ive been criticized for buying a used saw and expecting a new saw, even through when I saw a few minor flaws right off the bat I didnt get excited, because it was a used saw. But I did expect it to run for a while. Ive been criticized for taking it to the dealer and having it "declared dead" even though it wasn't my idea, it was the sellers. And I didn't have it "declared dead", thats just what the saw shop found. Ive been criticized for not shutting down when I got that odor right after starting the saw. But any one who has started a newly rebuilt saw or a brand new saw knows what odor I mean. The fact that I got that odor at all may well mean the seller never started it after installing the after market cylinder. Ive been criticized for telling ebay about the odor and told my words "incriminate me". But, the trouble is thats what happened, so I told them the truth of exactly what happened. I wont lie, or twist the truth over money. Gotta live with myself you know. But, every body's entitled to their own opinion, this is a discussion forum after all, so none of that bothers me. Did I make mistakes here? Yup, Im far from perfect and Ill make them again Im sure.

This keeps getting better and better. I just got a call from the saw shop. The seller called him and accused him of being in cahoots with me. The saw shop mahcanic asked the seller if he ever started the saw after he installed the after market cylinder. First he said he did then after some questioning admitted he never did. Thats pretty much what I figured.

This keeps getting better and better. I just got a call from the saw shop. The seller called him and accused him of being in cahoots with me. The saw shop mahcanic asked the seller if he ever started the saw after he installed the after market cylinder. First he said he did then after some questioning admitted he never did. Thats pretty much what I figured.

OOPS! Busted!

At any response, you want the "Stihl" guy to go out on a limb and say what?

Like I said, I have been sucked into this kind of bull before as a Stihl tech. The Shop Owner wants his techs to earn money, hard to get $60 an hour while on the phone...........

Haranging on the phone with some e-bay dispute.
Neither you or this seller will buy parts from this shop, let alone hire them for the job.

They have @ 1 hour invested in this saw, how much are they/did they charge you?

I could see where you would think user error. But, it wasn't. I used the same fuel with stihl 2 cycle mix I use every day with several other stihl saws. And I never got through the second tank, it blew before I used much of the second tank. Ive been criticized here for not adjusting the carb right off the bat, and no I didn't. I was testing the saw out and had not even gotten that far yet. I wanted to see what I had. Had the saw not blown I would have tuned it up and replaced a few parts on Sunday, which is the day I usually dont log. I go over all my saws every Sunday. Ive been criticized for buying a used saw and expecting a new saw, even through when I saw a few minor flaws right off the bat I didnt get excited, because it was a used saw. But I did expect it to run for a while. Ive been criticized for taking it to the dealer and having it "declared dead" even though it wasn't my idea, it was the sellers. And I didn't have it "declared dead", thats just what the saw shop found. Ive been criticized for not shutting down when I got that odor right after starting the saw. But any one who has started a newly rebuilt saw or a brand new saw knows what odor I mean. The fact that I got that odor at all may well mean the seller never started it after installing the after market cylinder. Ive been criticized for telling ebay about the odor and told my words "incriminate me". But, the trouble is thats what happened, so I told them the truth of exactly what happened. I wont lie, or twist the truth over money. Gotta live with myself you know. But, every body's entitled to their own opinion, this is a discussion forum after all, so none of that bothers me. Did I make mistakes here? Yup, Im far from perfect and Ill make them again Im sure.

I've dealt with ebay for a few years and I've learned about their rules, that's why I stated my interpretation of them. If you buy something on ebay and it's not as described you have a right to your money back plus original postage. Nothing says you have to work on their item, adjust it, or take it to a shop even if seller insists. Notify the seller that you want your money back or you'll file a case against him. If he balks at that, go ahead and file a snad case with ebay and they'll contact him. After that they should give you the okay to send it back(you pay the postage) then he looks at it to make sure it's the same saw, no missing parts, then reimburses you the money. If he doesn't reimburse in a reasonable time tell ebay and they'll jerk it out of his Paypal account. Ebay posts their rules on their website..

So the smell was from the assembly lube the seller used to rebuild the AM top end; this is clear evidence that the saw was never run or tuned to make sure it was in good working order before it was shipped to you. No doubt defective parts or the seller screwed up installing them. Either way he shipped you a saw one tankful away from blowing up. Hope ebay does the right thing to resolve this quickly in your favor.

Like I said, I have been sucked into this kind of bull before as a Stihl tech. The Shop Owner wants his techs to earn money, hard to get $60 an hour while on the phone...........

Haranging on the phone with some e-bay dispute.
Neither you or this seller will buy parts from this shop, let alone hire them for the job.

They have @ 1 hour invested in this saw, how much are they/did they charge you?

Good point Fish, this is something us non-shop guys might not think about! How much time do you think the shop has invested in this? Looking/working at/on the saw, and on the phone? 20 minutes to take it apart and another 20 on the phone?

OP, are you going to "help out" the shop?

Thatis a lot of the reason the Husky dealer refused to do warranty,
work on any Huskies sold from Lowes, and he was right. Too much time required

in dealing with the pissed off customer, time onthe phone with him, with Husky, back and forth, time=money, and no one will pay for that, he has to eat that.

Back