Starting to get a bad feeling about this,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, I have been sucked into this kind of bull before as a Stihl tech. The Shop Owner wants his techs to earn money, hard to get $60 an hour while on the phone...........

Haranging on the phone with some e-bay dispute.
Neither you or this seller will buy parts from this shop, let alone hire them for the job.

They have @ 1 hour invested in this saw, how much are they/did they charge you?

They charged me nothing. The tech IS the shop owner by the way. And your wrong about having the shop do repair work. I get all my parts from them, and buy my new saws from them. In fact I just bought a 461 mag. I was going to get the 441 but, it was only 94 bucks difference. Okay Fish, now tell me the shop owner said the saw was junk so he could sell me a new saw. Then Ill post the pics of the bearings in pieces, the chewed up cylinder, and the rest of damage.

Well, you got me wrong there. I am the guy that usually takes the side of the dealer, because I have been there, done that.

Of course good customers and buddies of the dealer/owner, they enjoy a lattitude of cushiness.

When I worked for the mower shop as a tech in Louisville, I got all of the tickets that had F.O.B. or F.O.D., {friend of Brian, or , friend of Dan},which was the owner and general mgr.

I still got penalized for losing money, but I was a lowly tech/mechanic, but they were friends...

You are sour at me, I told you to file with e-bay and get over it....

You want what???????

You want this guy to give you what????

Send it back, get your money back, get it over with!!!!!!

You want to squeeze cahones? Get most of your money back and keep the saw??? You crafted this thread to make it sit better in your
soul?

If you get something not as described from Ebay, call them, and get your money back!!!!!!

Period!!!!

So the bearings in pieces, destroyed engine, etc????

So what was his prognosis?

What was his estimate?

Were the bearings aftermarket?

This thread is silly, as we only have 1 side of the story. Letting these e-bay gripe threads go on is silly too. I thought they were not
allowed.

You want some cheerleaders to make you feel better?

These types of threads get real ugly when both sides are members here.....

Well, ebay finally gave me an answer on Friday. Longest 72 hours I ever saw, took them 6 or 7 days, or was it 8. No matter anyway because they said no refund. I filed an appeal, which they said they will answer in 72 hours ;),doubt it will do me any good. Win some lose some.
On the other hand I'm enjoying the hell out of the new 461 I bought.

Well, you got me wrong there. I am the guy that usually takes the side of the dealer, because I have been there, done that.

Of course good customers and buddies of the dealer/owner, they enjoy a lattitude of cushiness.

When I worked for the mower shop as a tech in Louisville, I got all of the tickets that had F.O.B. or F.O.D., {friend of Brian, or , friend of Dan},which was the owner and general mgr.

I still got penalized for losing money, but I was a lowly tech/mechanic, but they were friends...

You are sour at me, I told you to file with e-bay and get over it....

You want what???????

You want this guy to give you what????

Send it back, get your money back, get it over with!!!!!!

You want to squeeze cahones? Get most of your money back and keep the saw??? You crafted this thread to make it sit better in your
soul?

If you get something not as described from Ebay, call them, and get your money back!!!!!!

Period!!!!

The trouble with you Fish is you dont take the time to read the posts before you answer. And you assume way to much. I did send the saw back. I didnt craft anything, just stated the facts. I did file with ebay, as I said it didnt help. If you dont like these threads why do you keep posting. You never say anything constructive. In fact, your an obnoxious jerk. Im done with you, if ever there was a guy to put on an ignore list its you.

Well, ebay finally gave me an answer on Friday. Longest 72 hours I ever saw, took them 6 or 7 days, or was it 8. No matter anyway because they said no refund. I filed an appeal, which they said they will answer in 72 hours ;),doubt it will do me any good. Win some lose some.

What reason did they give you for the no refund? Usually they side with the buyer.

The trouble with you Fish is you dont take the time to read the posts before you answer. And you assume way to much. I did send the saw back. I didnt craft anything, just stated the facts. I did file with ebay, as I said it didnt help. If you dont like these threads why do you keep posting. You never say anything constructive. In fact, your an obnoxious jerk. Im done with you, if ever there was a guy to put on an ignore list its you.

Not cool.

I bought a 440 on ebay. Paid $555.00 including shipping. High I know but the saw looked good and the guy selling it said it was in good running order. He had installed an after market cylinder and said it had good compression. I like 440's so what the hell, I always need saws, I bought it. Seller stated ship it back for full refund if your not happy.
When it came the first thing I noticed was the clutch cover was not a stihl part. Chinese after market. Well, okay, its just a clutch cover. No big deal.
Then I pulled the started cord a few times. Heard some clacking in the recoil assembly. Still no big deal. Took it to work. Didnt use it for three or four days. Then after launch one day I decided to put it to work. Gassed it up (stihl 2 cycle fuel mix) it started right up. And smelled real bad. Like something was burning. Cut one tree and the smell was gone. Saw ran good, the carb needed adjusted, saw would not idle long enough for me to get the tape on a log and measure before it stalled. Still no big deal.
Then, on the second tank of gas I put through it, at full throttle the saw blew. From full rpm to paper weight in a split second. It was locked up tight.
I contacted the seller. Told him what happened. He told me dont send it back. You need to take it to a Stihl dealer and find out whats wrong. Okay. I did. I took it to a saw shop I do a lot of business with. Shop owner called me three days later and said the saw is junk. Would take more to fix it than I paid for it. I told him I had a another 440. Could he piece a running saw together out of the two? He said, Dave, its not worth it, theres not much to salvage here.
Okay. He writes that up on his letter head explaining what all is damaged for the guy I bought it from. I contact the seller. Tell him what the stihl dealer said. Told him Id mail him the letter head from the stihl shop and gave him the stihl shops number and suggested he call to talk to the mechanic. I also suggested I keep the saw for parts (to ship it back to him will cost at least $55.00. And told him Ill except a partial refund. He says he wants the saw back to see what went wrong. I say no problem. Ill ship it right back. Then I want a refund. Reading this guys emails I have the impression he is saying I did something wrong (like straight gassed the saw).
Im a logger, I know how to run a saw. I didnt even adjust the carb before it blew. But reading between the lines I think this guy is not planning on giving me my money back. I could be wrong, hope I am. Im not going to post his ebay name yet. If he makes it good I will. And Ill say he's an honest dealer. If he doesn't make it right I tell you his name to warn you. We'll see what happens.

You sent the saw back?

I work on saws for a living, and have dealt with "loggers"....

They mean well, but they think the sun shines out of..........

Naw, I sell a lot on E-Bay, and you should have gotten a refund if you would have just followed their procedure...

What I find hard to believe is how could anyone put a new top end on a saw and never fire it up.Not even to see if it runs , let alone long enough to warm it up and adjust the carb and then selling it on Ebay then admit doing it

ebay is probably agreeing with the seller, who probably told them that the user put two tanks of fuel through it before it blew. If he had just asked for a refund first this wouldn't be a problem. Basically he is asking for a warranty. The saw started, ran, and functioned as advertised. If it was sold without warranty, then I can see why ebay did not side with him.

I'm really astounded that the OP bought the saw, started to cut with it, had the knowledge to realize it needed to be tuned, and then continued to cut with it but not tune it. It's hard to trash the seller knowing this.

I still think the seller should refund some of the $$$ and let you keep the saw. Or refund most of it if you don't want the saw back. If I notice the carb tuning is off (other than a slight error in the low side screw), I don't run it for a tank or even 10 seconds. If it's revving way up and not 4 stroking at all when full throttle out of the cut, it won't take more than a minute to fry the piston and possibly cylinder. Just saying, keep in tune with the tune. I haven't ever noticed a burning smell from my saws even right after a fresh top end. I prob just can't smell very well.

I still think the seller should refund some of the $$$ and let you keep the saw. Or refund most of it if you don't want the saw back. If I notice the carb tuning is off (other than a slight error in the low side screw), I don't run it for a tank or even 10 seconds. If it's revving way up and not 4 stroking at all when full throttle out of the cut, it won't take more than a minute to fry the piston and possibly cylinder. Just saying, keep in tune with the tune. I haven't ever noticed a burning smell from my saws even right after a fresh top end. I prob just can't smell very well.

It might fry a piston and later seize up but I don't think it should blow up that quickly unless something else was wrong. I'm in the habit now of starting and running my saws a bit before I sell them and I mention that in my ads..

Last edited:
I thought the OP mentioned the damage extended all the way to a disintegrated crank bearing and the bearing pieces fried the AM topend. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I do not believe speculation from the forum members will solve this problem between buyer and seller. I believe there has been mistakes from both parties and now it's a catnest. I sold 20 saws on e-bay in the past 6 months. One 026 had a crack in the upper half of the fuel tank and leaked fuel when the tank was full. I never noticed because I had no reason to fill the tank full after the rebuild. The buyer was mad so I offered to split the cost of an OEM handle/tank assbly and the problem went away. In this case, I believe the seller and buyer could have come to terms with respectful communication and a mutual desire to compromise to a result acceptable to both parties.

I thought the OP mentioned the damage extended all the way to a disintegrated crank bearing and the bearing pieces fried the AM topend. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I do not believe speculation from the forum members will solve this problem between buyer and seller. I believe there has been mistakes from both parties and now it's a catnest. I sold 20 saws on e-bay in the past 6 months. One 026 had a crack in the upper half of the fuel tank and leaked fuel when the tank was full. I never noticed because I had no reason to fill the tank full after the rebuild. The buyer was mad so I offered to split the cost of an OEM handle/tank assbly and the problem went away. In this case, I believe the seller and buyer could have come to terms with respectful communication and a mutual desire to compromise to a result acceptable to both parties.

There are also those that would want their money back because it was not mentioned. Some buyers would want you to pay all the price of the tank/handle assy. It all depends on who buys the saw.

If e-bay has turned you down, I would call Paypal, and file a complaint there.

Latest posts

Back