Starting to get a bad feeling about this,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, folks assume that they are one and the same entity, but they are not on day to day affairs.

The O.P. should take this route, but unclutter the story a tad..

Like you said, I think these guys got off on the Wrong foot right from the beginning.
Usually if both parties act like gentlemen they can come to some sort of compromise.
The key word compromise. Both parties have to be able to walk away feeling like they got a fair deal, no one won and no one got the short end of the stick. If the op was unprofessional making accusations or accusing him of wrong doing when initially contacting the seller I could see the seller going on the defensive. (I’m not saying the op did) I really don’t think Pay Pay will refund his money since it was an eBay transaction without getting approval through eBay JMO

Yeah, the OP should also know that putting up a dispute here with scant details will likely glean some opinions that might not be in his favor,
or at least heap some critiques his way.

He had not put up the e-bay auction, so no one here has any story at all of the seller's side.

He should not assume that we would all just hop on his wagon.

What was the purpose behind this thread (or any other one like it). The Forum members have no ability to independently verify any of the claims being made (on either side if the other party to the transaction posts) and it becomes a pissing match. Taking care of your own problems and not whining about self induced mistakes is the better road to take.

It was a private transaction and should be worked out between the parties. Nothing that any member posts here is going to influence the outcome of this matter. The old saying "buyer beware" continues to apply to this day.

I really doubt if both parties can come out of this with a good feeling. We have a buyer out over $500 and a blown up saw and the seller with a saw that would cost about that much to fix and an unhappy buyer who can still do some retaliation, such as giving out his name on the internet or suing him for mail fraud, etc.

What was the purpose behind this thread (or any other one like it). The Forum members have no ability to independently verify any of the claims being made (on either side if the other party to the transaction posts) and it becomes a pissing match. Taking care of your own problems and not whining about self induced mistakes is the better road to take.

It was a private transaction and should be worked out between the parties. Nothing that any member posts here is going to influence the outcome of this matter. The old saying "buyer beware" continues to apply to this day.

One thing it does is enlightens other saw buyers and sellers what could happen...If the OP ever gives out the sellers name I would probably block the person from doing business with me.

One thing it does is enlightens other saw buyers and sellers what could happen...If the OP ever gives out the sellers name I would probably block the person from doing business with me.

If you buy a used car, drive it around for a week, and then it throws a rod would you scream and holler that it was fraud?

We have a story from a guy that chose to run a saw he knew was out of tune, 'to test it out'. Well, his test concluded that running a lean saw wrecks the saw.

This would be like buying the used car, driving it off the lot and hearing a bad knock in the engine. First choice is take it right back and reverse the deal. Second choice is tell the dealer and ask for a discount because it needs work. Third choice is to ignore the sound it makes and drive it anyways. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I could not agree more.

I was staying out of this until the OP decided to nail Fisher to the wall for daring to respond with advice.

Post a thread about a private matter and ask to discuss it? OK. sure.

Freak out when people have an opinion on your private transaction? What the heck do you expect? If you ask people to analyze you business deal then for crying out loud do not whine when they actually do it.

If you buy a used car, drive it around for a week, and then it throws a rod would you scream and holler that it was fraud?

We have a story from a guy that chose to run a saw he knew was out of tune, 'to test it out'. Well, his test concluded that running a lean saw wrecks the saw.

This would be like buying the used car, driving it off the lot and hearing a bad knock in the engine. First choice is take it right back and reverse the deal. Second choice is tell the dealer and ask for a discount because it needs work. Third choice is to ignore the sound it makes and drive it anyways. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I think the seller should have run the saw a little himself before he sold it. Not everyone can tell if a saw is tuned too lean and on ebay you don't know the people who are buying the saw. I probably wouldn't notice a knock in a Stihl because they all seem clunky to me.

I would say that the burning smell was just the oil and new gaskets, you know that fresh rebuild smell you get when you first fire up, although you would think that the seller would have test run the saw after rebuilding it and before selling. I agree though The first thing i would have done is check and adjust the carb as needed. I would have set the carb a little rich for a while. The saw not wanting to idle though sounds like an air leak?
I think you'll be alright in the end. eBay is pretty good with there buyer protection. i don't think they spend very much time investigating, they usually just side with the buyer and give you your money back. I think you have 30 days from the sale date to open a claim. after 30 days you're SOL Good Luck
PS The 460 weighs the same as a 441 or 440 (more power > same weight :rock:)

####ty thread.

The statement in bold above is not true either.

Bye.

####ty thread.

The statement in bold above is not true either.

Bye.

The 046/460 has been well known as being heavier than the 044/440. Wider crankcase, heavier lower end, wider gas tank, etc. I've seen this same thing mentioned more than once recently, but ohh well.

Sorry i was wrong the 440 is a little lighter
440= 70.7cc (5.6/hp) 13.9/lb
441CQ= 70.7cc (5.5/hp) 14.8/lb
441CM =70.7cc ((5,6/hp) 14.6/lb
460= 76.5cc (6/hp) 14.6/lb

Sorry i was wrong the 440 is a little lighter
440= 70.7cc (5.6/hp) 13.9/lb
441CQ= 70.7cc (5.5/hp) 14.8/lb
441CM =70.7cc ((5,6/hp) 14.6/lb
460= 76.5cc (6/hp) 14.6/lb

The 460 will suck the tank dry a heck of a lot quicker too.

Back