Sthil 250 vs 270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different countries and different situations & pricing structures but right now here I can get a 291 for $50 less than a 271. Same weight and 0.3 more hp. Catch is the 271 comes with a wood pro kit while 291 doesn't. Curious on current pricing there re. 271 vs 291. 'Heavy cutting' can mean different things to different people.

I didn't look to see if they had any 291's . Don't think makes difference but I was looking at the 270 which is the basic version where as the 71 is the easy start and tooless chain adjust. I HATE the tooless chain adjustment. What is the wood pro kit ?

Different countries and different situations & pricing structures but right now here I can get a 291 for $50 less than a 271. Same weight and 0.3 more hp. Catch is the 271 comes with a wood pro kit while 291 doesn't. Curious on current pricing there re. 271 vs 291. 'Heavy cutting' can mean different things to different people.

Heavy cutting? I just bought an 051 for heavy cutting. Get the 270 you should be happy. It would be an upgrade from the 025 and not a budget killer.

Case, spare chain and hat.
Spare chain is nice but don't really need a case and don't like wearing a hat
Heavy cutting? I just bought an 051 for heavy cutting. Get the 270 you should be happy. It would be an upgrade from the 025 and not a budget killer.
That's what I was thinking.. My old 025 handled most everything I needed only issue was 16"bar was a tad short sometimes. My only concern is the 2 xtra lbs. It was really noticeable just handling in the store. But supposed I'd get used to it after using it a while.

I like the 16 inch bar. 20 is a bit long 18 is a good compromise. The weight thing is going to be an issue unless you switch to a pro saw like the 261. I don't notice the difference between a 11lb saw and a 14lb saw when cutting it's all physical labor. This 051 I got is like 30lbs that's a difference.

I like the 16 inch bar. 20 is a bit long 18 is a good compromise. The weight thing is going to be an issue unless you switch to a pro saw like the 261. I don't notice the difference between a 11lb saw and a 14lb saw when cutting it's all physical labor. This 051 I got is like 30lbs that's a difference.

After so many post regarding the 261 I checked my local dealer website. Sounds like a great saw but at $570 w/ 18" bar it's not going be in my budget range.

I have a 360 for my heavy cutting. Lots would consider even that too small for heavy cutting let alone a 250. So it comes back to what's heavy and what's heavy.

I don't mean heavy as in large logs but as in cutting lots of firewood through out the year. I cut for myself as well as my parent's. Parents have 2 stoves which is only heat source for large 2 story farm house.

After so many post regarding the 261 I checked my local dealer website. Sounds like a great saw but at $570 w/ 18" bar it's not going be in my budget range.

Then if you want the extra power some weight will come with it. I get the price thing I only buy used saws. I own one saw bought new. To me it's like buying a new truck. But saws are easier to rebuild

I don't mean heavy as in large logs but as in cutting lots of firewood through out the year. I cut for myself as well as my parent's. Parents have 2 stoves which is only heat source for large 2 story farm house.

There ya go. Heavy means different things to different ears. I would chose based on size. If it's all or mostly 12" or so or less the 250 might be a good choice. But if really doing a lot the 260 might be one case where price of admission is worth it.

I work for a small (2 business partners) realstate company that has a few lower budget rental properties but mainly buy and flip type of thing. I use my saw there quite a bit removing overgrowth from neglected bushes ,trees,bria patches etc. Anyway I've been thinking about adding a small trim saw like 017 to my toolbox for the small projects. I may put that off a little bit longer and go ahead and buy the 270 then pick up the 017 a few months later. That way I'll have a good firewood/larger tree saw and a small trim saw. The 017 is decent saw for its size. I had one years ago but sold it.

I also have a 170. Even nicer to handle than the 250. It does certainly have its limits though.

If I could only have 1 saw though it would be a 260/261.

Go for the MS261 forget about the others they do not compare. The MS290 is such a dog and cuts slow compared to an MS261. I would buy a good used MS260 over an MS251, MS271 or MS 291 they spin slow and cut slow compared to a Pro saw and they are very heavy. Good Luck.

Go for the MS261 forget about the others they do not compare. The MS290 is such a dog and cuts slow compared to an MS261. I would buy a good used MS260 over an MS251, MS271 or MS 291 they spin slow and cut slow compared to a Pro saw and they are very heavy. Good Luck.
Thanks for the feedback.. I've been thinking and doing some more research last few days and now leaning towards saving money up and get a 261. I have enough wood cut for this winter and on the occasion I need a saw for work I can always borrow my father's Echo until I get one. The echo is decent saw but it's a very slow cutting saw much slower than my old worn out 025.

The new edition MS261 is a great 50cc chainsaw. Most Dealers around here will give 10% the price. The homeowner saws can't compare to a Pro saw but then don't cost as much. Pay the price once and it will last you the rest of your life. Don't wait too long, Stihl usually raises prices after the first of each year.

The new edition MS261 is a great 50cc chainsaw. Most Dealers around here will give 10% the price. The homeowner saws can't compare to a Pro saw but then don't cost as much. Pay the price once and it will last you the rest of your life. Don't wait too long, Stihl usually raises prices after the first of each year.
I didn't know they tend to raise prices after new year. Of course I wasn't asking about the 261 at time but I asked my dealer if prices were going change in near future and he said not likely to change in next month or so.

Nice to see a neighbor. I'm a little south in Danville. I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago. I went with the 270. I don't regret it but the heaviness took a little getting used to for me as I was used to a lighter saw. I don't do a lot of bucking as most of my wood is scrounged from tree care companies/jobsites. So the extra hp is more important.

I didn't know they tend to raise prices after new year. Of course I wasn't asking about the 261 at time but I asked my dealer if prices were going change in near future and he said not likely to change in next month or so.

Ok I get it the 261 is awesome but stihl makes many great "home owner" saws too. We aren't alking 100 dollar poulan pro saws. I have cut tons of wood with these home owner saws. I burn wood for heat. I'm not out logging or selling fire wood. That's what the 270 is designed for or even the 250. The 170 and 180 are that occasional use cut down a Christmas tree or use 7 times in your life saw. They can be used a lot too but that's the low end of saws for occasional use.

Are pro saws awesome? Yes. Do you need one? No. Either saw you are looking at will be fine.

If you want to spend the extra cash on a great saw go for it but you will be ok with either of the other 2 saws.

Latest posts

Back