Sthil MS192tc vs MS201T? Advice please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErebusKills

Reaction score
Hey guys, I work full time climbing trees and clearing power lines. I want to start buying my own personal equipment for side jobs, and if that goes well possibly starting my own business.
My question is should I buy the 192 or 201? The guys I work with Love the old ms200, but havent used a 201; however, the reviews online dont seem very well.

Retail on 14inch 192 is around $330 compared to 201 around $620?

Is the extra 5cc and a little less than half horsepower worth the money?

If anybody recomends other climbing top handle saws please let me know. All the guys that work in my yard sware by Sthil, and there is one guy who has a Echo he likes.

Thanks for the advice.

The first top handle I owned was a 192 with a muffler mod. I have two 201s and a 200t now. My thoughts are if your just starting off and want to keep cost low, start off with a 192. They run good and fine for smaller limbs. If you want a more high production saw than spend a bit more and go for a 201. They are fast cutting , higher production saws. I brush out and cut everything that 14" bar is capable of with it before switching saws. Although the 192 doesn't like bigger wood it will do fine on smaller limbs. If you buy a 201 it will need a few mods to become a great saw. Above a guy has one modded and ready to go....lol

Go with the 201T. Send Brad a PM - he'll get the saw, work his magic, and send it to your front door at a very, very reasonable rate. You'll thank yourself each and every time you pick up the saw that you spent the extra $.

Back