Stihl 023: Cuts our at high speed, no load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen11962

Reaction score
I was given this saw in several parts with the plaint of it not working. I have reassembled everything and replaced the gas supply line and filter.

Engine starts well, but cuts off after running about 30 seconds at speed with no load. Have demounted the carb and opened it up but found it clean with nothing (seemingly) amiss. It seems like no further gas is getting to the engine after initial choke and start.

I do not have the manual for the saw: there is a black ribbed tube coming out of the saw body below the carb compartment that is not attached to anything. I cannot find possible point of connection for it. Is it simply some kind of breather tube? Or am I missing something material to the problem?

Any suggestions? This carb (and saw) model seems to have been discontinued and I can't find any rebuild kits and am not even sure that this would solve the problem.

Stephen

Its sounds like you are describing the impulse line, which has not been reconnected, or
just disconnected. It has a nipple, on the engine block, and another on the orange part under the carb, it is your problem.

I just went out to the shed and tried to attach the impulse line. (This is where I could have used a schematic for the engine.) I did manage to find an orange nipple that looked like a good candidate. I connected it and tried starting the engine and it started but still did not behave correctly. I am now suspicious of the other end.

It got too late and cold to continue. A schematic of the engine would be good so I don't have to take apart more than I have to. Any ideas where I can get one on line?

Thanks for the nudge in the right direection.

Stephen

Back