Stihl 026, everything you wanted to know.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
The regulars here know how I feel about this saw, it stinks. In my book it's one of the worst saws ever built.
This comes from a guy who has worked with saws his whole life. More than twenty years of daily saw running.
The 026 is an underpowered, slow to build revs, carpel tunnel machine, that is outdated. There is no other saw made today, that I can think of, that vibrates the crap out of you, while at the same time, makes almost no power. It's weight is good, for a boat anchor!
We have a few Husky 336's that are lighter, cut faster, vibrate less, have aircleaners that actually work, real chokes, big handles, kill switches that last more than a month, fuel caps that last the life of saw, about one millionth the vibration, throttle response that allows you to reach full speed before you run out of gas, and almost no gyroscopic pull.
If you diagree with me, make me an offer on an 026 I have with about 10 hours and adjustable carb, I think it's a 1998.

Mike Maas said:
The regulars here know how I feel about this saw, it stinks. In my book it's one of the worst saws ever built.
This comes from a guy who has worked with saws his whole life. More than twenty years of daily saw running.
The 026 is an underpowered, slow to build revs, carpel tunnel machine, that is outdated. There is no other saw made today, that I can think of, that vibrates the crap out of you, while at the same time, makes almost no power. It's weight is good, for a boat anchor!
We have a few Husky 336's that are lighter, cut faster, vibrate less, have aircleaners that actually work, real chokes, big handles, kill switches that last more than a month, fuel caps that last the life of saw, about one millionth the vibration, throttle response that allows you to reach full speed before you run out of gas, and almost no gyroscopic pull.
If you diagree with me, make me an offer on an 026 I have with about 10 hours and adjustable carb, I think it's a 1998.

To each his own I guess, I have a couple of them and as far as I am concerned they are better than a 346 xp any day. Feel better in my hands, like the power and handling, feels lots more solid and rugged than the tingy feel of the huskly, not slushy like the husky either, not perfect i am sure, wished I needed another, but its not the case presently.

Mike I think you are exaggerating just a smidgen! Now those 20 years of experience that is supposed to colour the value of your opinion; are they all at the same level of expertise as the first year? Lol! In all honesty I have only made a dozen cuts with a comparable Husky so couldn't judge vibration. I certainly found my 026 a big improvement in all ways to the older small homelites I had, but it came along at the same time that I learned to sharpen a saw. I think that once a person develops a dislike about something it is impossible to be objective. Send me that 026 before it drives you crazy; I will give it a good home; we will all be happy!

I like my 260, but it does have some issues. The antivibe mounts sack out at a alarming rate, the fixed jet carbed saws are useless as they never run right all the time, the airfilter is garbage, the choke mechanism restricts the intake greatly, much narrower powerband than a 346 and the muffler is very restrictive. With that said Ed ported mine and it runs like a scalded ape.
I hope stihl updates the 260 like the did with the 036. The new 361 is a great saw.

Maybe there will be an MS261. but NO saw is perfect, there is a flaw to every saw, I believe that if the 026 has soft antivibe mounts, maybe there is a set from another saw that will fit.

the fixed jet carbed saws are useless as they never run right all the time, the airfilter is garbage

Agreed. The 260 may not be the worst, but it may be one of the most overrated. The air "filter" truly is a P.O.S.

Stihl had far too many years to upgrade the 026 platform and address the aforementioned shortcomings.

I had a 026 in the late 90s for about 1 year, had to sell it because I needed the money for my 046. I kind of thought it was overrated and overpriced. I bought a Echo CS-510 a few years ago to finally replace the 026. The Echo was about 100 dollars cheaper and I'm much happier with it over the 026.

New US version of MS260?

The US 2005 catalog states that the 260 is up 1.5 cc, and down .2 kw in max power output. I think that it is supposed to have a wider powerband.
Does anyone know if there are any other differences?

Anyway I don't think that a new version of the 260 is a good sign for those who waits for the "MS261" (or whatever it will be called).

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
The US 2005 catalog states that the 260 is up 1.5 cc, and down .2 kw in max power output. I think that it is supposed to have a wider powerband.
QUOTE]

That is the U.S version only, the Canadian version is maintained at 2.6 kw or 3.5 hp :)

Back