Stihl 036 Wanting to Die When Pull Trigger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been using my 036 for quite awhile now and have had no problems, but was out yesterday and for some reason it would start and idle fine, but when I would pull the throttle trigger it would choke and stop. I know it isn't the quality of the gas because I was using the same gas in my other saws. I took off the air filter and tried to run it, but same problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

How old is it? I say rebuild the carb. carb cleaner will help a little but chances are if its and older saw just pay the $30 or so (if my memory serves me correct) for a carb rebuild kit, i had to and problem was solved.

It's pretty old- over 10 yrs., could it be anything other than the carb? I only ask becuase the problem came out of nowhere. I had been cutting for about half an hour and boom- started dying when I pulled the trigger.

When is the last time you used it (when it was running OK) ? If this happened as a result of the saw being in storage and not used for a long time, then I'd suspect some part of the fuel system or carb got gummed up, cracked, or some particles/debris got into the system. Those are the common things that can happen by themselves over time.

Edit: based on your second post, it sounds like it was running OK for a bit. Try tweaking the L adjustment on the carb and see if that helps any (that is what controls acceleration from idle). As to why, could be a million things, ranging from gas to weather to some of the above problems I mentioned.

Last edited:
could be a few things. Collapsing or weak fuel line, plugged fuel filter, crap in the carb, crap in the muffler, or weak spark.

I guess I will try to dismantle it and check all those things, before totally replacing the carb.

"totally replacing the carb" ? Rebuild it, kits are cheap, figure out the model and go to ebay. Most 2-stroke kits are $15 or less.

Jumping on throttle and dying out suggests to me the L needle is too rich (flooding) but if nothing touched that needle, could be lots of things. Can you ease into the throttle? Blip it?

yep 10year old that sound bout right. Same exact problem. I tried filter plugs and all the above. had to rebuild the carb. Also if u used it quite a bit the worm gear for the oilier pump is probably ready to be replaced. I will think the oilier pump took a crap but check the worm gear first.

Have you adjusted the carb (high and low screws) before deciding to tear into it? Easy to tune by ear, plenty of videos with details available.

My MS310 did this,I took the carb apart and cleaned it,problem solved.I think there was saw dust in the vent of the fuel pump.

the first think I would do is turn the L (low speed) adjustment screw counter clockwise a quarter turn. Then if that don't work I would take the air filter off so I could see the back of the carb, if you can get it to rev up as it hits peak RPMs block off the back of the carb with your thumb or put it to full choke. This will create a vacumn in the carb that could suck out any crude that is in a passageway. Sometimes it works, you can always tear the carb down and clean it if it doesn't.

Steve

Thanks for all the info.- will check out the simple procedures tonight, and if I have to I will buy a new carb/rebuild kit.

Sounds to me like your high speed/top end jet has a piece of trash in it.

dissassemble the carb, and clean it outwith 2+2. repair anything that may need fixed (eventhough i doubt that theres anything tore up)

Back