Stihl 044 Cylinder Gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziechainsaw

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am about to pull my Stilh 044 apart, the one i posted pics of in "The Worst looked after Chainsaws of 2021" thread and while looking through the Stihl IPL I can see there is 2 base gaskets options that go underneath the cylinder. One is .50mm and the other is 1.00mm. That is a massive difference. There is only 1 piston size avalable which is 50mm but there is 2 types of 50mm pistons. One has a larger piston pin. I think it was 10mm and the other 12mm.

Now i won't know until get it apart what piston my 044 has but if it has the 1.00mm base gasket, can I change it to the .50mm without any issues ? And I am sure in the IPL it only lists the one cylinder, but maybe there are different rods lenghts giving it a different stroke and therfore piston height might change.

Any idea's anyone ?

Cheers

Justin

Now i won't know until get it apart what piston my 044 has but if it has the 1.00mm base gasket, can I change it to the .50mm without any issues ?
If ordering a base gasket from your Stihl dealer in Oz they will supply 1128 029 2301.
As far as I know the 1mm (1128 029 2302) base gasket was only fitted to early 044's in the European market.

Lots of posts on this, No differences in bore or stroke, 10mm piston pin is only on older metal tag 044's serial numbers lower than X 29 583 701

If its that Made in West Germany most likely has the piston with 10mm wrist pin, cylinder would be slant fins at top too (though some early 12mm had slant fins too), can you make out the serial number? Its probably starts with a number between 119 and 125 is my guess

Yep it has a 10 mm wrist pin. It took some time getting the piston out. Piston is toast and cannot be fixed. Cylinder is good. Only has very slight marks were the piston had been sitting for so long. Even using my finger nail I can barely feel the marks.

I also measured the gasket. It is a .50mm in thickness.

Here is some photos of the piston and cylinder.
That sure looks like rust in the wrist pin in the middle pic. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if the big end brg and/or the crank brgs were crunchy. I'm also concerned about the whitish spots on the jug. You sure they're not places where the plating came loose?

That sure looks like rust in the wrist pin in the middle pic. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if the big end brg and/or the crank brgs were crunchy. I'm also concerned about the whitish spots on the jug. You sure they're not places where the plating came loose?
I'm going to have a better look hopefully tonight. I am also going to take it into my local engine shop to get them to give it a hone.

I haven't had time yet to give it a good clean or remove the piston from the Rod. Fingers crossed the big end bearing are still ok.

Cheers

Justin

Well I had some time to remove the old piston and give the rest of the saw a better clean. After the clean i had a good look at the crank bearings and everything checks out just nice. No noises or grumbly bearings.

Justin

Attachments

• 20210110_151401.jpg
    20210110_151401.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210110_151343.jpg
    20210110_151343.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Just got cylinder back from the machine shop here in North (very hot & wet ) Queensland. A good friend of mine own's it. He gave it a very very minor hone. Just enough for the new rings to seat and do their job.

I have ordered new piston, needle cage bearing and new cylinder base gasket. But I was thinking about getting genuine Stihl 50 x 1.2mm piston rings.

Should I go Genuine rings or will the non genuine rings be good enough ? What's everyone's opinion ?

Cheers

Justin

Attachments

• 20210111_140649.jpg
    20210111_140649.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210111_140622.jpg
    20210111_140622.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210111_140653.jpg
    20210111_140653.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
you will find that the aussie saws came with the 0.5mm gasket.
so go with that.
I would go with genuine and be done with it, they will last.

yeah so will caber etc, but I assume that you can quickly and easily souce from the local steal dealership. :) er stihl I meant stihl.

Just got cylinder back from the machine shop here in North (very hot & wet ) Queensland. A good friend of mine own's it. He gave it a very very minor hone. Just enough for the new rings to seat and do their job.

I have ordered new piston, needle cage bearing and new cylinder base gasket. But I was thinking about getting genuine Stihl 50 x 1.2mm piston rings.

Should I go Genuine rings or will the non genuine rings be good enough ? What's everyone's opinion ?

Cheers

Justin
Justin
Great work on your cylinder by your friend.
There is a Greek on Ebay that sells over size rings that some of the guys here uses.
I just got a set for a project .010 inch over size. I'll put them in the cylinder and take them out and fie the ends to match the cylinder.
That's one option. Keep us posted please.
Good luck from Clint
Click this >>>>> The Greek

you will find that the aussie saws came with the 0.5mm gasket.
so go with that.
I would go with genuine and be done with it, they will last.

yeah so will caber etc, but I assume that you can quickly and easily souce from the local steal dealership. :) er stihl I meant stihl.
Hi Trains,
Yeah i think i am going to go that way. All parts are available from my local Stihl dealer, just have to wait 2 weeks .

I might gives the ports a mini polish and clean up as well.

Cheers

Justin

Latest posts

Back