Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchie70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m rebuilding a 044 and it has a Zama C3M 524 or S24 carburetor on it. Can’t really tell if it’s an S or a 5. Anyone know what carb kit # this would take ? Thank you for any help

Thanks Gary, I have another question for you. The saw ran good when I got it but it’s been sitting in my shed since November and when I tried to start it I couldn’t even pull it over. When I turned it upside down the gas poured out of the exhaust and the case was completely full of gas. Think the needle valve and metering lever was stuck open ?

Thanks Gary, I have another question for you. The saw ran good when I got it but it’s been sitting in my shed since November and when I tried to start it I couldn’t even pull it over. When I turned it upside down the gas poured out of the exhaust and the case was completely full of gas. Think the needle valve and metering lever was stuck open ?
Yes, it probably was. I've never had a saw flood as badly as you've described without having a mis-set metering lever or somebody forgetting to slide the diaphragm "tit" into the slot on the metering lever. I've never had a saw flood like you describe just from having a bit of pressure in the tank.

It was sitting spark plug up all winter. I noticed a few weeks ago before I tried to start it there was 2 cycle oil residue on the handle and could smell gas. I couldn’t remember how much gas was in it when I put it in the shed but it was empty when I took it out this spring. I’ll have to drain the case and pull the carb off this week and see what it looks like inside. Thanks guys

Anyone have a snapshot of the carb assembly for installing the repair kit ? The guy who I bought it from may have assembled it wrong and I don’t have an IPL or service manual for a 044. Thanks for any help

Thanks DND, after I pulled the carb apart the rebuild kit that was in it didn’t match the RB-60 kit that belongs in it. The guy I bought it from must’ve used the kit.

Back