Stihl 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlskin

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, not sure of the Drive Links needed , Re: Stihl 066 , 20" bar, 0.063 gauge, owner wants to run .404 full chisel chain. The sprocket is floating 7T. When making a chain, how many DLs are needed. thanks R. Stihlskin

You still about.
How did the 010 project end up?
Chris.
Hey Chris, yep still alive and kicking. The 064 is still in service working well. No footy all year, I'm ready to jump. The 010AV project I've just resurrected again this last week, I've built the crankcase, fitted a electronic coil/module, flywheel and clutch on, just closing up really. Carb clean and kit done.

Found a s/h piston and cylinder on Gumtree as well as other bits this bloke had, it ticks the boxes but we'll see? Should have it ready this week. Ill let you know what happens. Ive got a WA and a WT carb for that model, which one would you prefer to use? Is one better than the other?

Not sure on carb never touched one on this model.
Forgot bout the 064,that was coil or comp problem?
Chris that's a tidy 066, good work! great saws. MS 066 - I've done a cylinder kit and rubbers on one, and did a full overhaul on another. Nice to work on too. The 064 was a coil replace + the usual, it had the 2 keyway flywheel so i was able to source a coil P/N? from Choina. Impressive collection of saws you have , very nice!

The 010 AV carby is a wrestle to get on but I'm going in right now. Not sure on routing the throttle cable , seems to be a couple channels there to go through (upper or lower orifice) but I'll work it out.

Are you still interested in an orange 010 if I sell mine or come across another one?
No thanks Chris, Im only rebuilding this one out of nostalgia it was my Fathers saw. If it works well I"ll use for camping but if its a failure it goes in the shed to collect dust or over to your place for parts.

Thanks Patrick62 , 65 DL .404 chain starting point. 72 DL on the 3/8 chain. I expect it will cut like a beast with the .404 chain. I run .404 on my 08S , seems to cut alright. That's what it came with.
Ended up being 66DL is the perfect size for a Stihl Rollermatic 20" bar , .404 chain, 7 tooth floating sprocket.

Back