• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys-

This is another saw that I built at the request of someone who decided they didn't want it. This one turned out really nice. I split the crankcase and installed a new OEM bearing on the PTO side ( and Nachi on the flywheel side) and seals. All the gaskets are new OEM. The piston, crank, and cylinder were minty and the rings are new OEM. Most of the rubber parts are brand new as well including the impulse and fuel lines. The fuel filter is new. This one has the good early non rev-limited ignition and fully adjustable carb. The muffler is the good later style open-box configuration with the large exhaust outlet. It does have the full-wrap handle but I have a nice OEM half-wrap if desired.

The air filter system is a new Max-Flow kit but I can retrofit the stock system with a new HD2 filter if desired. I'd prefer to sell this PHO to make shipping easy, but a bar and chain might be negotiated. I haven't really figured a solid price yet, but as you can imagine I have bit invested. Thanks!

There's many other new parts, so this 084 is going to last anyone a long, long time. The drive system is in great shape and the clutch showed minimal wear. It's currently set-up in .404" but I got lots of 3/8" sprockets too. The upper rear mount and right front mount are both new.

What's the differences in an 084, an 088 and a MS880?

Other than floppy caps and a more restricted muffin?

What's the differences in an 084, an 088 and a MS880?

Other than floppy caps and a more restricted muffin?

The 088/MS-880 are the updated designs, with different carbs, mufflers, crankcases, and filter/intake systems. A good condition 084 is a strong saw and this one is stronger than most because of the better muffler.

I built this for a tree service guy/faller who wanted a saw strong enough to run a 60" bar all day long which it will easily do.

Dang, I wish my 084 would idle like that. Must be an air leak somewhere or the carb's not working right. At least this thread has me motivated to fix the old beast so that it runs as well as Jacob J.'s does. These saws have huge power and only chain condition or weakling operators slow them down. I think they weigh about 26 lb on the hoof with a full stomach.

Back