Stihl 084AV ignition question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy 2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 084av that has a bad ignition module. I think it went bad because the insulation on the kill wire had crumbled and shorted out the module. The flywheel is a 1124 400 1203 dual keyway. The ignition module is a Prufrex and the only numbers on it are CDIC 125/3. My question is this the right flywheel and module combination for this saw? If it is what is the part #for this module? Also is this module limited and if it is, is there another module I could use that is not?:msp_confused:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis

Try these threads.

I have found the 084 has three different ignitions. The double key flywheel is a plus for you.

This one does not have the Bosch three legged coil and a trigger module. It has a Prufrex dogleg all in one module. Thats what is strange, in all the other threads I have never seen anything about an 084 using a Prufrex module. It does not have the mounts for a three legged coil or a trigger module.
It looks more like the ignition on a 064 from what I have read. The flywheel has an 084 marking on it.

This one does not have the Bosch three legged coil and a trigger module. It has a Prufrex dogleg all in one module. Thats what is strange, in all the other threads I have never seen anything about an 084 using a Prufrex module. It does not have the mounts for a three legged coil or a trigger module.
It looks more like the ignition on a 064 from what I have read. The flywheel has an 084 marking on it.

You have me stumped. I will PM you with some contact information for a Tech that seemed very knowledgeable.

I can't remember where I read it, but the two slots in the flywheel marked P and B refer to the name of the ignition used with the slot, and "P" may well be Prufrex. "B" is probably Bosch.

Your Prufrex could be a 1124 400 1306 ? That would be a limited coil, with no external trigger, and only 2 bolts.

You can replace it with either another 1306 or with a 1308. Or possibly a 1305.

I have a question about coil #1124 1301a Is this a limited coil? It came on an 880 and I don't know if it was original, but I haven't heard or read about that particular number.

My 084 Limited ignition.

View attachment 189137

Here is a picture of the coil on my 084. My saw has the bolt holes for the three bolt ignition module and spot for the trigger. My 084 has the CDIC limited ignition. I can not read the name on the coil but it does say made in Germany. I don't believe it to be made by Bosh.

A question, on the coil with the trigger what slot is the flywheel placed in P or B. :confused:

JacobJ, thanks for the info on the slot. I am going to convert my limited ignition over to an unlimited 1305 ignition. The limited ignition makes the saw hard t0 tune.

According the the 084 operators manual, one is supposed to tune the 084 with limited ignition to 10500 rpm and then give the H screw a further half turn clockwise. The note below this instruction states: As the Tachometer uses the firing pulse to measure engine speed, it will, at full throttle, indicate a speed which is much lower that the true maximum r.p.m. This is due to the fact that the engine does not fire on every revolution when it is running with the operating range of the electronic speed limiter.

The coil in the picture looks like what I have, except I don't have the mounts for the 3 legged coil and the trigger module.What puzzles me is the shop manual makes no mention of the dogleg coil. All they show is the three leg with the external trigger. I ordered a 1308 coil. I will check the timing with a light to make sure everything is right. Let you know how it works.
Thanks for all the help.

Dennis

The coil in the picture looks like what I have, except I don't have the mounts for the 3 legged coil and the trigger module.What puzzles me is the shop manual makes no mention of the dogleg coil. All they show is the three leg with the external trigger. I ordered a 1308 coil. I will check the timing with a light to make sure everything is right. Let you know how it works.
Thanks for all the help.

Dennis

Try and post a pic, I would like to see what your case looks like.

What puzzles me is the shop manual makes no mention of the dogleg coil.
The dogleg coil is mentioned in the tech memo, though it's clear as mud.

The dogleg coil uses the "P" keyway. The 3-bolt coil uses the "B" keyway. At least, that's the way I read the memo.

It appears that the AS server is too overloaded to pull up my tech memo attachment tonight, but it was posted on one of the other 084 ignition threads.

. I ordered a 1308 coil.
No longer available (NLA).

The dogleg coil is mentioned in the tech memo, though it's clear as mud.

The dogleg coil uses the "P" keyway. The 3-bolt coil uses the "B" keyway. At least, that's the way I read the memo.

It appears that the AS server is too overloaded to pull up my tech memo attachment tonight, but it was posted on one of the other 084 ignition threads.

No longer available (NLA).

I just order a 1124 400 1308 Ignition Module EY-V from Baileys today. I asked if they had them in stock or could still get them and I was told they could get the the 1308. I should have it late next week and see how easy it is to install and change the flywheel.

I just order a 1124 400 1308 Ignition Module EY-V from Baileys today. I asked if they had them in stock or could still get them and I was told they could get the the 1308. I should have it late next week and see how easy it is to install and change the flywheel.
I believe Baileys is mistaken, but good luck finding a coil.

I believe Baileys is mistaken, but good luck finding a coil.

If it is not the right one, I will return it. I also have a back up 1305 coil with the trigger coming next week. One way or another I am going to get rid of the the limited ignition on my 084.

1308 is the right one, however, it is no longer available, contrary to what Bailey's told you. At least, that is what a couple of other AS members have reported.

I wonder if Bailey's doesn't have or knows a place that has a stockpile of the 1308 somewhere. . I contacted a couple of businesses in UK and was told they could get the 1308 but could not ship to the US. I hope for the price it is NOS.

Here is what the emailed response I received on 07/01/2011:

Matt,

Yes, we can get Ignition Module 1124 400 1308 EY-V, see below for website.

Bailey's - IGNITION MODULE 084

Thanks,

Back