Stihl 193t - Tree Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Diesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I used the 193t I bought a week ago to dismantle a medium size american elm (about 30" diameter stump and maybe 65' tall). I had only run two tanks of gas through the saw previously cutting up firewood so not broken in.

I fired up the saw and let it warm up, shut it down and then climbed into the tree. Initially it seemed like the saw would not idle for long without dieing out. I hadnt really noticed it doing this when I was using for fire wood. Needless to say it was kind of a pain. After a couple more tanks of gas it seemed to stop cutting off when at idle. I dont know if this was because it was warmed up or the fact that it was getting broken in.

The 193T has a 14" bar and for anything smaller than the bar it cut like butter. I use the saw to cut down some larger branches in excess of the 14" bar and it bogged a few times and took a little more time to cut through but it did the job well.

I used my ms362cm to fell the trunk and cut up the logs and with the 25" bar and full skip they were no match (This saw is well broken in). That saw is a beast (especially after using the 193t).

193T is a great little saw. I think I just need to get a few more tanks of gas through it to reach full potential. The 362 is m tronic and never dies. The 193t I have has the fully open muffler from the factory so probably wont get much out of a muffler mod. 20161024_121652.jpg 20161024_121624.jpg

View attachment 533368

is the saw stock? how big is the opening in the muffler if you dont mind....

When your dealer test started the saw, he should have optimized the carb settings for your part of the world if it wasn't running correctly.
The Stihlcutoff saws I get in are too rich for my area at idle. They are all made in Germany still, unlike some of the chainsaws that are made in the US.

The dealer did start and run the saw and it seemed fine. I am gonna run a few more tanks through it. I have about 5 through it now and at the end when I was cutting the tree it was not cutting out but it was obviously hot at that point.

blsnelling had a 193T when they first came out and the muffler just had a small hole. The opening on my muffler is the full rectangle similar to the one in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms-193t-muffler-part-number.287932/

img_1039-jpg.531505

The dealer did start and run the saw and it seemed fine. I am gonna run a few more tanks through it. I have about 5 through it now and at the end when I was cutting the tree it was not cutting out but it was obviously hot at that point.

blsnelling had a 193T when they first came out and the muffler just had a small hole. The opening on my muffler is the full rectangle similar to the one in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms-193t-muffler-part-number.287932/

img_1039-jpg.531505

thats what i wanted to know if i buy one im going to ask to see it.... wonder if there is a certain seiral number or a year where they started doing this.....

thats what i wanted to know if i buy one im going to ask to see it.... wonder if there is a certain seiral number or a year where they started doing this.....
so really if its like this maybe the carbs just needs to be adjusted like stated.....Ive never used a warranty for a saw but it would be nice to have it ..... they may be close if its coming like this from the factory now..... thanks for the Info.....

The deflector can still be opened up, if desired.
I am definitely going to open up the deflector. Just going to wait for warranty to expire in 3 months.

What's the best chain to run on the 193t? it came with stihl safety chain-green. it was the only option for the 193t. when I bought the 362 my dealer asked which chain I wanted on it (safety agressive skip). does stihl make an agressive chain for the 193t?

I am definitely going to open up the deflector. Just going to wait for warranty to expire in 3 months.

What's the best chain to run on the 193t? it came with stihl safety chain-green. it was the only option for the 193t. when I bought the 362 my dealer asked which chain I wanted on it (safety agressive skip). does stihl make an agressive chain for the 193t. No not unless you switch bar and sprocket to .050 gauge chain.

What's the best chain to run on the 193t?

Old tree guy I used to work with (been doin it all his life) said the safety chains are just as good, and if you want to turn it into a yellow you can by filing down the rakers. He postulated that the safety raker would help pull more saw chips out of the cut. But he also said that hard-nose bars are the best bars out there (reasoning: oil actually gets to the bottom of the bar) so YMMV.

As for me? I ran a 63PM50 on a ms200t today, and really I couldn't notice much faster bar movement/plunging into the wood from a PM3 (its version of the safety chain) on my ms193t. I did notice it indeed does like to 'ride'-the-tip a lot more than the safety chains. I'd say yellows got about twice to 3x more kickback distance (usually the kickback force on a green chain, for me, would jump the bar about 2". With the yellow, it not only kicks 2", but it wants to walk another 1-3"). First thing I thought was "probably not safe for 'in-tree' use," and in after-thought: def not for one-hand use. If you do go yellow, test it on the ground first two-handed, purposely making it kickback so you get a feel for it and see just what I mean.

You just have to match what is on the bar, and if it is the same as my ms193t, that'd be a 3/8"Picco .050gauge chain-type (14" is 50 links)
I have heard (but have not personally tested) the PiccoSuper and RapidSuper(for .063" gauge bars) are the best yellow chains out there, so the 63PS50 is what you would want for your 193T if you wanna go yellow.
Me? I am going to stick with the stock PM3 chain, but turn it full-chisel (pointy) with 35deg cutters (turned it into a beast when I was firewood'ing). Tip: leave the rakers alone for the first few sharpenings (keeps the chain from biting in too much, and that weaksauce MS170 piston inside a 192 cyl from bogging out).

Opening up the deflector ain't gonna do much besides make it loudddd. The exhaust port at the cylinder is what is restrictive (would be my guess). Oh, and the cat that I believe is inside the muffler, because that thing is a lot heavier than I imagined it should of been upon holding it.

I know everyone want's the fastest most aggressive chain but when honest I have never read of anyone really being more productiv at the end of the day...

For me a sharp chain of good quality is enough.

I've never heard of 63RS. The only full chisel 3/8lp chain made is PS3 and PS. The mufflers do not have a cat, but it does have a baffle.

If you want a 192T/193T to cut then advance the timing 6° CCW.

I use PS3 and PM on my 192T and 201T

The mufflers do not have a cat, but it does have a baffle.
Have you popped it open? When I blasted it out with carb cleaner, it did not jet right out the other port like it does with everything else I usually do. Even putting my hose on Jet and holding it flush with the engine side port just led to the water pooling and coming out with no considerable force. It was overly hefty for how thin of a gauge sheetmetal they use for the body....and where exactly is that extra 0.4lbs (ms192t vs ms193t specs)? I am just guessing because I don't want to be the muffler donor here, but I will believe there is one in there until proven different (0609A stock bigport-type muffler). Please don't take my statement as a personal attack.

I've never heard of 63RS.
My bad, the RapidSuper is a 1.6mm chain, so the 63 prefix I said was incorrect. Edited post to clarify.

Have you had any luck with swapping out the stock MS193T 6-tooth to a 7-tooth sprocket? In your opinion, does the 193T have enough oomph to spin a .050 chain an extra ~800ft per minute and keep cutting wood?

Back