Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, That comment was from 362 C literature. Maybe they are different. I've never had any starting issues, have you?

Although I do see they recommend letting the saw idle a little before shutting it down to cool the components.
Havent had any starting issues but it would make sense to startin the choke position since u do calibrate and let it idle for approx. 90sec in the choke position

In run the choke position sensor is deactivated. In the start (choke) position, the sensor is in play and will make an adjustment based on what the saw needs.

Just made a discovery in my 441c manual. It has 4 positions on master control lever, 1)off 2)run 3)warm start 4)cold start

Ok that's it . I want to see a photo . Either you don't have a m tronic or something I've never seen before, very possible but I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean like this?

[/QUOTE
No sorry guys! My dealer must have have me an old manual that shows the 4 positions but this is qhat my saw looks like
Do you mean like this?

SORRY guys but my mistake. Though I had found something to help OP but my dealer obviously gave me an old manual with 4 positions but this is what saw looks like20140425_214842.jpg

Silly dealers!!, and I almost got my panties in a snit lol
I had a stalling issue on my 441cmr when idling and it turned out to be a bad loop of new Oregon chain that was a bit grabby causing the to run really fat. Corrected the chain and haven't had a issue again. With no way to monitor the exhaust oxygen content the only way the m tronic can adjust for mixture is by rpm and temp , the only 2 inputs to the control unit . So a rpm variation from the chain makes sense . It's possible the OP may be heating his saw up a bit to much making it lean out, dull chain,poor fuel or mix, poor oil for the mix, or possible it's in winter mode. Any major issue like a vacume leak causes a really fat mixture. I would be very surprised if there is a defect in the saw . Thinking more user error of some sort. I would dump the fuel. Get new fuel and new spark plug. Clean the screen in the carby and I'll bet it will be good to go as long as it's not in winter mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP here. No "user error" here. I run ethanol-free fuel ONLY in all my OPE. Just to be absolutely sure that fuel was not the issue I also bought 2 cans of the MotoMix. Same problem. The shutter was the first thing I checked since the saw acted like it had vapor lock from over-heating. Keep in mind - this saw started acting up on the very first day I bought it. I've run 10-15 tanks through it with no improvement or getting worse.

She's at the "doctor" getting a new carb.......my fingers are crossed that it does the trick. If they could run all the tests on the saw while it was truly "hot", I know they could nail the issue. Kinda hard to do vac testing/module testing when the muffler is still tinkling though...:)

Back