Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP here. No "user error" here. I run ethanol-free fuel ONLY in all my OPE. Just to be absolutely sure that fuel was not the issue I also bought 2 cans of the MotoMix. Same problem. The shutter was the first thing I checked since the saw acted like it had vapor lock from over-heating. Keep in mind - this saw started acting up on the very first day I bought it. I've run 10-15 tanks through it with no improvement or getting worse.

She's at the "doctor" getting a new carb.......my fingers are crossed that it does the trick. If they could run all the tests on the saw while it was truly "hot", I know they could nail the issue. Kinda hard to do vac testing/module testing when the muffler is still tinkling though...:)

hey, good luck!

I am thinking next the logical evolution of these computerized saws (other than direct fuel injection) would be a bluetooth connection so you *could* get hot real time data, right to your phone.

Frankly though..I am more interested in the advances with the battery saws over the computerized gas saws. Once they have one that can run a 20inch bar and chain and have good speed (they already have gobs of torque and a powerband the builders would give their left one for), that will be a serious game changer. The first generation lithium ion battery saws are already impressive, give it two more generations and they will be able to do roughly 3/4ths or better of most chainsawing done by most people. Not talking all day long heavy big tree felling and bucking, but, good enough to fill the back of a pickup. Talking the wild thing up to the farm boss/rancher/timberwolf backyard cutter and firewood scrounger class cutting market.

And I know the suits and engineers at the majors *know this*. They will dominate the small saw and OPE market because they are all adding different tools to use the same batteries and chargers. No BS or hassle, grab a tool and it will start, it will run, it will work no tuneups or rank gas or air filters, etc, crapola to deal with. No cursing and yanking some starter cord to no avail, and we all know this is pretty darn common today. On/off, done.

FINAL OUTCOME:
My saw had been at the dealer for over a week due to a backorder issue with the carb. So I contacted Stihl and asked if I could just exchange my saw. They talked to the dealer and he agreed to an exchange. So that's what I did.....
Obviously I'm more than happy with the situation. I've bought alot of Stihl equipment over the years and never had any issues...NONE. So even though I had this little hiccup, I'm impressed with Stihl's customer service.

FINAL OUTCOME:
My saw had been at the dealer for over a week due to a backorder issue with the carb. So I contacted Stihl and asked if I could just exchange my saw. They talked to the dealer and he agreed to an exchange. So that's what I did.....
Obviously I'm more than happy with the situation. I've bought alot of Stihl equipment over the years and never had any issues...NONE. So even though I had this little hiccup, I'm impressed with Stihl's customer service.

That's cool, hope the new one works better for ya!

So, I got to cut with my new MS261C-M for the first time today. Ran great. Shut it down after about half a tank, didn't want to restart. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, fired up. Ran it a bit more, shut it off, wouldn't restart. Used other saws to finish up. About 3 hours later, tried to restart the 261 and it just flooded. I didn't think you could flood an M-tronic, but I managed. Hope it will start tomorrow, otherwise it's going back to the dealer...

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have seen some people recommend the "Start" position all the time. My saw does not like it when it is hot.

When hot, I just pull the cord. If it does not start on first pull, then I use Start position.

Hope this helps.

So, how did it cut?

Are u sure its flooding or starving for fuel? My 362c is opposite from yours and has to be started exactly like Stihl Tech told me. If mine is hot and I shut it off it will restart in the run position if restarted pretty quickly but if u go sharpen a chain or take a break it has to be started in the start position again. If I try to start in the run position after its cooled down some, its hard to start

Spectre try restarting in run position immediately after u shut it off then wait awhile and try to start in the start positiin. If mine has cooled down awile and it doesnt start on the first pull, then its gonna be hard to start period! Try goin straight to start position as Ive had no trouble cranking it in the start position. I took my 441c back and traded for a 461 because of this problem but I didnt try this method thats worked on my 362c. Try that method and let me know how it works for u as Im curious to know? It worked for me

I thought I was having issues with my 550xp, restarting it hot. It has to be started in the high idle even when hot. Not sure if Stihl m-tronic is the same, but works for my 550

I was making the mistake of just trying to start it in the run position, with out a lot of luck, until I think kenjax explained it to me. Even when the saw is hot I have to flip the control all the way up to full choke , then down to high idle (half choke) and start it. Then let it run for 5-10 seconds( you can hear the auto-tune thinking on the go) before you blip the throttle. After the auto tune has a chance to recalibrate it runs great

I was making the mistake of just trying to start it in the run position, with out a lot of luck, until I think kenjax explained it to me. Even when the saw is hot I have to flip the control all the way up to full choke , then down to high idle (half choke) and start it. Then let it run for 5-10 seconds( you can hear the auto-tune thinking on the go) before you blip the throttle. After the auto tune has a chance to recalibrate it runs great
Yes it sounds like a common factor with mtronics and auto tune? These electronic saws can't be treated and started like a standard carb model it doesn't look like?

I agree w/Brad. Even if it has been off for 5 or 10 minutes, I give one pull in the run position, and she usually starts. If she does not start on one pull, I use Start position. I have never had a starting issue with this saw (362 C-M). I think M-Tronic may remember what you do, so it may be a matter of consistency.

All these problems with stihl and husky, darn I guess we'll all have to go to echo. I hear they're flawless just cut a little slow. I honestly wouldn't mind owning a small echo.

Seems alot of people r having the se issues? Ive had 2 any they acted the same way. The technique I mentioned works on my 362c? Thats the way Stihl Tech told me to start also

This sounds stupid, but mine was doing it with a 16" bar, but it hasn't with an 18" bar. Maybe it had something to do with recalibrating the auto tune.

Dunno. Stihl says to use the start position every time, hot or cold, as I understand it. My 362C usually starts the first pull, but have never had to pull more than 3x. The 261c was definitely flooded. I pulled the plug and it was wet and had mix coming out of the muffler after about 8 pulls. (It cut great when it was running, Mike). I'm gonna mess with it this afternoon and see if it will start. I'm supposed to go cut Wednesday. If it fires then, I'll run a full tank through it before I shut it off and take it from there. I've had it since April, drained the mix after 5 quick cuts when I got it home. Ran it for the first time yesterday, but only got a half tank through it and then couldn't get it started again.

Back