Stihl 270C vs. Jonsered 2063/2163. (I'm the lame new guy!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd give an update. I went to check out both the 2063 and 2163 this morning. I worked on the 2163 a bit but only got it start once. I'm sure it would have ran eventually, but the 2063 was so smooth and quick to turn over that I new it had seen less use. The 2163 had an Oregon bar and a total crap chain. I asked the guy if he could lower the price and then he went to check with the manager. The funny thing was when I told the manager you can't use a Stihl bar on the Jonsered he said yeah, they won't work. I found that quite suspect. Any how he wouldn't budge on the price since they had already come down $50 bucks..he said "that's enough for a new bar right there!"

anyhow, I ended up swapping out the Oregon bar hoping it might be right.

Went to my local shop and the guy says "that's a Homelite bar."

So I bought a new Forester bar and a couple of chains. So I ended spending about 280 for the powerhead and a new bar. Not bad I guess.
I'll post some pics soon.

Do these Jonsereds use a 50:1 ratio?

Congrats on the saw. That is a much better saw than the 270, regardless of the condition issues.
50:1 is fine. I would go to the Stihl dealer and pick up a 6pk of Ultra two stroke oil. It is as good as it gets.
BTW, there is a classifieds section here. Post the Homelite bar, you will probably get a bite (it's not doing you any good now).

pics?

how 'bout a few pics of this red machine in action up in the forest yesterday...

Thought I'd throw a picture up to finalize this thread. I must say, (granted I had a brand new chain on) THIS THING IS A FIREWOOD EATING MONSTER!!!

View attachment 208371

thanks again for the info. everyone. I'm quite happy with the upgrade to the Jonsered. (I realized I was just wasting my time before!)

next season I'll have to start thinking about mods!

The 2063/2163 is basically the old and newer versions 362xp, and made by Husky - parts should not be a problem. The Stihl bar doesn't fit even with an adaptor though, as they have the "small Husky" bar mount. They are pro saws, and much better (and larger) than the MS270, 62cc vs 50.
Hmmm - someone just rated this post "dumb" - now I wonder who really is dumb?:givebeer:

- and why do that in an old thread where the answer was pretty obvious anyway?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back