Stihl 290 or Dolmar 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmmmm...............Dolmar boxes .....LOL ......How many empty boxes do you want .......I had twenty 22 of them in the last year that we burnt .....Im not a Dolmar dealer ........I buy used saws and parts and most times they come in a Dolmar box..........

As for the 029/290 buy a dozen extra fuel lines ......They seem to go through plenty of them ......:)

If you "sold" Dolmars and had as many burnt out ones as you do I'd take the distributorship away from you and tell you how to tune a saw properly. Exactly what batch were these saws and what was the date of manufacter? Surely you can find the date. Its right on that sticker thingy...
What storage facility did you take the 5100's to? The Fried Dolmar facility? Right next to the Pink Elephant Facility?
Personally if it was a warranty issue I'd probably contact Dolmar, get the parts, and rebuild them...
Well thats what most dealers would do anyway...
I mean real dealers...

:eek:

Now that's some of the funniest :censored: I've heard here in a long time!!.....LMAO

290.....plastic fantastic, heavy, slow, unexciting, flat out boring but if treated properly is dependable and God forbid could last a lifetime in the right hands. :dizzy:

5100....pro built saw, powerful, high revs, great sound, downright exhilarating to use....Is just as dependable as any other brand of pro built saw, if tuned and treated properly! :greenchainsaw:

Yeah I don't want to get accused of being a troll again or Hailing from the Evil empire site.

I will stick to my Popcorn for now........ I might win me an 026 sometime real soon!!!:chainsaw:

Well........ It definately will not be a "race" saw......... But maybe it will be a woods ported saw..... Maybe..... but either way it will be a REAL work saw that I can go take car of my "firewood needs":chainsaw:

Now that's some of the funniest :censored: I've heard here in a long time!!.....LMAO

290.....plastic fantastic, heavy, slow, unexciting, flat out boring but if treated properly is dependable and God forbid could last a lifetime in the right hands. :dizzy:

5100....pro built saw, powerful, high revs, great sound, downright exhilarating to use....Is just as dependable as any other brand of pro built saw, if tuned and treated properly! :greenchainsaw:

Right, if tuned and treated properly. A good saw in the hands of a idiot doesn't make that good saw a bad saw. Steve

It sounds like stilboy is exagerating just a little here, to have that many burnt saws is just hard to believe, i for one have not had a bit of trouble with my 5100s but i also clipped the limiters and richened it up a tad when i got it.

He may want to change his avatar also, it says he had one saw in aug and now has 8, now if he is just getting into saws i find his experience with the Dolmars a little hard to believe?

5100 Fest----Post your vids of hard working 5100's

I, if anyone(s)(I'm sure there are others), can attest to how well these saws are built. I learned how to tune with a 5100:jawdrop: I can assure you I ran it leaner than fatter during that time. I didn't really know what 4 stroking sounded like until I learned to richen the H. I bought mine off of ebay too.

In this video, the saw was a stocker and running lean. This was around the time when I kept reading, "you just have to know how to tune yourself." So I was game. Unfortunately, I was reading too much about high rpm's and running leaner is meaner and so on. I bought into that game, yet fortunately, my saw made it through. And so did I:clap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_RhpEWyyLA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_RhpEWyyLA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This video was taken just a few days ago when I put the squish back to stock. MY saw should not have made that trial and error period when it was a stocker and I was new at tuning a 2 stroke. Don't get me wrong, I'm still learning how to tune. But the only problem the 5100 ever had was a diaphragm carb issue. Nothing internal.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm giving the PS5100S big time credit for that. It's a stout, pro saw.

It sounds like stilboy is exagerating just a little here, to have that many burnt saws is just hard to believe, i for one have not had a bit of trouble with my 5100s but i also clipped the limiters and richened it up a tad when i got it.

He may want to change his avatar also, it says he had one saw in aug and now has 8, now if he is just getting into saws i find his experience with the Dolmars a little hard to believe?

sorry been meaning to edit it thats as of aug 08, i ran out of characters in my sig. i now have 24 i think....nope 25 including the 064...:clap:

i ran out of characters in my sig.
I can't for the life of me understand what it is about having all of one's saws listed in one's sig...:confused:

It's not as if anyone really gives a rat's ass about how many saws everyone has...at least I know speaking for myself, I don't...:dizzy:

Thanks stihlboy, I was in the market for a new chainsaw and was contemplating trying the Dolmars, but your comments on that brand have changed my mind.

There's no way I'd buy a Dolmar now. I see now that they're actually a sub-standard brand . Seizures, unreliability etc.. It does makes sense, as there's not many Dolmars around.

Lucky I stumbled upon this thread. I likely would have ended up with a junk saw. I'll be staying with the proven proper chainsaw brands from now on. Thank again for the good info.

Thanks stihlboy, I was in the market for a new chainsaw and was contemplating trying the Dolmars, but your comments on that brand have changed my mind.

There's no way I'd buy a Dolmar now. I see now that they're actually a sub-standard brand . Seizures, unreliability etc.. It does makes sense, as there's not many Dolmars around.

Lucky I stumbled upon this thread. I likely would have ended up with a junk saw. I'll be staying with the proven proper chainsaw brands from now on. Thank again for the good info.

Glad I stumbled on this thread too.....Im going to try a 5100 due to the 2 blown up and repaired 346ne's I just sold ..........Never going to trust a Husky again since they cant take bad gas like the other brands cant.....:)

a subsidised dealership

subsidised by who ??? lol !

ABOUT 12 DOLMAR DEALERS AROUND COLUMBUS,, will start calling tomorrow offering to buy all them bad saws if i can find the right one..
i have a friend close to columbus i'm sure he will pick them up for me :)

when i get them i will offer them to members ay COST !!
:( nobody will want one of those POS saws now that stihlboy has let the cat out of the bag :(

lets see now,,have to find his post where he said what road he lived on and start with the nearest dealer :)

I better get rid of mine to before it implodes right what dumb azz learn how to run your equipment or get an electric one.:monkey:

I can't for the life of me understand what it is about having all of one's saws listed in one's sig...:confused:

I find it to be handy, I've talked to several people about saws they have otherwise I wouldn't have known they had them. It is interesting to see who has what....I personally like when people list the saws they have or equipment.

Latest posts

Back