STIHL 361 too much saw for me????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout 2003

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the site today. Came over from ********** to find info on saws. Nice place. I've spent the AM researching saws and everything keeps turning up the 361. But I am a little uncertain still as this is really my first year cutting a lot of personal firewood. Up until this point it has been 2-3 cord a year and now I am tripling that amount going forward.

I currently run a Poulan 295 and it is just not up to the task of tackling 7-10cord/year that I am starting to cut now that I have installed 2 wood stoves in the house. Anyhow, I have been researching saws and everyone is touting the STIHL 361 ( for good reason it appears) but I am not sure if that is too much saw for me. $$$$ isn't the issue although I don't want to buy a saw that will just be overkill for the situation. Like I said, I cut roughly 10 cords a year, usually up to 19" in dia although most the stuff probably averages around 12-16". Wide range of wood from White Oak, Hickory, Ash, Cherry, Walnut, and Osage Orange. 90% of my firewood is felled at the site and so far very little is lying. I cut every single weekend from about Jan 1- the end of March and then periodically after that. Average cutting session per day would be around 2 hours of run time. I am think that I have invested about 30-40 hours so far this year with the Poulan and will probably average about 80 hours saw run time a year going forward. My goal is to reduce that time with much better saw. What your take???? and thanks!

For the size of wood you're cutting I'd take a hard look at the 280 or even the 260. I'm floating around over at ********** too, mostly in the boiler room.

Yes, I doubt I will be getting over 20" rounds anytime soon. I need to be able to lift it into the truck. I'm young and strong now but once I get over 20" those 18" long rounds start to get aweful heavy. I would like a saw to zip through the 18" rounds a lot faster then my 29cc poulan does. I eat a sandwich and have a cup of coffe right now while cutting through a 19" peice of oak. That's with a shape chain too! Takes forever.

The 361 sounds like the saw you need!!! Its right at home in 10''-18'' hardwood. I own one and it is an awesome firewood saw!!!

Welcome to the site! I usually cringe when someone comes on here asking for advice about a saw for cutting 3 cords a season; and the chorus starts about how they absolutely need a pro saw. My rule of thumb is that at about 6 cords, you should think about getting a bulletproof model, and even then I think many of the homeowner saws would still do just fine.

The 361 is a good saw and would be one of the choices to consider for your application. But...if money is no object and you're looking for speed in the cut and lightweight, I'd recommend what I did a few years back. Get a 260 and have it modded. I have a "Walkerized" 026 - ported, polished, opened up muffler - and it screams through wood. Typically I have a 16" laminate bar with 3/8" chain, and it kept up with a stock 044 I used to run. I like the balance of the current set-up, but I have run a 25" bar when my big saw was in the shop, and it handled it with little problem.

When I fire the saw up around other cutters, they all turn and look because it just sounds wicked. But what really matters is that it cuts fast, is lightweight, and hasn't given me any problems in five years. I typically cut 12-15 cords a season. If anything, I think its safer than a heavier saw because I don't get tired as fast.

The 361 cures cancer, but in you're case it does sound a bit like overkill.
I do however try and recomend getting a saw one size bigger than you really need for those, just in case moments.
But what you are talking about I did for years with a Husky 350, I have no reason to think a 260 wont do it as well. Maybe even a 290 (I can hear the cries already) would be something to look at.

The fact that you have identified the 361 says to me that it's the saw you want. It takes a lot of convincing to get me to change my mind when I have my sights set on something.

In any case the 361 seems ideally suited....not overkill at all. Sure you could save some money and get a 260 (and I have one), but I'd say just get the 361 or you'll always be wondering.

:cheers:

Get the 361

I have both a 026 (260) and a 036 (361) and I cut pretty much the same amount and type of wood you cut per year. I find myself using the 036 about 100 % of the time. The only time I use the 026 just when I am doing a limbing and brush clearing where I want a little smaller saw. I think the 361 if the saw for you get a 20" bar and go have some fun.

Not really, I just see the 361 all over the place. I do like the idea of the 260 with the altered Muffler.

I say money is not an issue but what I mean there is that I will pay for the right saw to get the job done fast and done well. They are both quality professional models so I will get whichever one fits the billing with some advise from the guys here. A appreciate what is being said so far though. Cutting time and durability are what's important to me in my new Stihl. Either is going to be WAYYYYY faster then the Poulan I've been using I'm sure.

Hello Trout and welcome too the site.
I'm one of those that feel you don't need the 361 for that amount of work. While they are a nice saw, I think you would do well (and spend quite a bit less) with a Dolmar 5100s. It's lightweight, has very good power and is an excellent candidate for what you need. It comes with an 18" bar which is perfect and is available in .325 or 3/8th pitch. You want the 18" in 3/8th. I think you'll be quite pleased and save yourself quite a bit of money over the 361. There's no saw out there (for the money) that can compete.:cheers:

Thanks Zodiac. I will research that saw. Anyone else on the Dolmar as compared to the Stihls I mentioned above or just for my application in general. Not looking to get into a product war here.

Thanks Zodiac. I will research that saw. Anyone else on the Dolmar as compared to the Stihls I mentioned above or just for my application in general. Not looking to get into a product war here.

If you have a good dealer in your area take a look at the 5100. I have a 361 and love it but would have been very interested in the dolmar if I had a dealer around here.

Now you have opened up a can of worms!!

We are always getting lectured about suggesting saws the the OP didn't ask about, now you've asked!!!

DUCK AND RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya. That is why I said I don't want to start a product war. I've looked at the Dolmar and can do my own research. I have 2-3 dealers within miles of my house so I can explore that on my own. I guess we can take the question on the route of saw size. The 260 is slightly smaller by a full bhp then the 361. Will that equate to much quicker cut times? How about moding the 260? I just want to get in, get out, and get done!

Well, my "get in, get out, and be done" saw is a woods ported Big bore 046 with a 25" bar. My next step down it a woods ported Husky 350. So I am not muh help am I:)

I would say the 361 if that is the case. The power will cut a lot faster, even in the smaller wood.

FIND A DEALER you LIKE!!!! I don' care what brand they sell, FIND A GOOD DEALER!!! Then handle the saws they sell and see what "feels" righ in you're hands. Is it too heavy? Does it balance good? If you put on the 20" bar is it going to be nose heavy? Things like that. YOU have to use it, WE DON'T!!!! Get what feels good to you!!!

Sound advice. Luckily I live in an area with all the major brand dealer within short driving distance. As of right now I am done cutting for this year until I get a new saw. I'm tired of fighting through 18" cuts with the Poulan. That saw has been pretty good to me she needs a rest and to be religated to limbing small stuff duties.

Since I own both a Stihl and a Dolmar (Makita), I can say that I don't think you'll go wrong with either saw. Had they been making the 5100's at the time, I would have looked hard at one before I bought my 026.

As for comparison, I can only go by my 6401 and my previous 044. What I like about the Dolmar is that it seems almost "overbuilt." Many of the "user interface" parts just seem to be heavier guage and more rugged. But for that sized saw, it also runs very smooth with excellent anti-vibe. Since you have a dealer close by, I'd recommend taking a good look at one. And I'll second the comments about going with the dealer you feel most comfortable with. There is a Stihl dealer within 5 miles of my house, but I won't let him touch my saws.

BTW: At the time, I paid $150 to have the 026 modded by Walkers. Word at the time was that their mods were tame compared to some of the smaller operations, but I liked the fact that they had a proven track record. I don't know what the going rate is these days.

I haven't researched Modding yet but am about to...This site is great! Can any saw be modified?

Thanks for all the help guys, this has been enlightening.

alright, I see you can mod this. Didn't intend too, but I am going to look at the Dolmar very hard.

Latest posts

Back