STIHL 361 too much saw for me????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 372xp is my main go to saw for firewood. It just flat out gets through the stuff in a hurry. I think a 60 cc saw is about the min I would buy if I was wanting to get in and get out of the woods. You already have a baby saw for the little pieces.

My firewood combo until this winter was an Echo 3400 and the 372. Trim the small stuff up with the baby saw and then get to buisness.

Don

Comparing the costs of about $500 for the 260 to $600 for the 361, the 361 is by far the better deal. Also the 361 is a completely different saw than the 036/360. Bottom-up new design, and one of the best that Stihl has ever come up with. For what you are planning on doing, the 361 is a good fit. Put a 20 or a 25 inch bar on it, and enjoy cutting like a madman. :greenchainsaw:

heck if youre considering a 361, you'd probably be ok with a 441 or 460!

Thats how it always seems to work with me. I went to the stihl dealer the two weeks ago to buy the 460, "even though it was probably more saw than I needed." Im not quite sure how it happened, but I walked out with the 660, and havent been happier:clap:

:greenchainsaw:

OK, so after a HUGE mental debate and basically deciding to buy a Dolmar 5100......I ended up at the freakin' hardware store and walked out with the MS 361. Until the 46cc Poulan I have dies (not long I am sure) this STIHL will be my only saw purchase and I was just nervous about leaving something on the table. That and being able to use a 25" bar "Just in case". I went to Cantelli Hardware is Easton, PA. I was treated very well, given a bunch of freebies including a non safety chain that you all recommended, and walked out $624 after taxes ($589 price). No I didn't steal it for sure but I feel good about the purchase and feel 100% that there is no chance I will wonder or regret it. My wallet is really light and it will be painful for a month or two but the years of use will be worth it.

Thanks to everyone here for the guidance. You really made me debate and research my question a bit harder and that helped. I feel a lot better about my choice today then I did last week. Thanks again.

Well, off to get a Huskee this afternoon after work. The mental debate continues........22 or 27 tons. We shall see!

OK, so after a HUGE mental debate and basically deciding to buy a Dolmar 5100......I ended up at the freakin' hardware store and walked out with the MS 361.

Well done. you came through with flying colours :cheers:

OK, so after a HUGE mental debate and basically deciding to buy a Dolmar 5100......I ended up at the freakin' hardware store and walked out with the MS 361. QUOTE]

Think I read on hear somewhere that a MS 361 is the cats a## of chainsaws..
Good choice.

Yep, you made a wise choice. Always figure out what you can get by with and then step it up a size.... Cutting with too little power just stresses ya out and makes the whole trip a pain instead of a pleasure.

When you get ready to mod the muffler... Here is THE best 361 muffler mod thread on AS, IMO.

Ian

Yes, I think I am going to let me 1 year warranty run out before putting a mod on but I sure will when that time comes. Looking forward to it.

Doesn't hurt to get a little bigger saw than you need, sooner or later you will use the power, not all logs will come to you under 20". I've never handled the 361 but I hear it's a better saw than my 357xp, if thats the case it should be an awesome machine for you.

Kirk

OK, so after a HUGE mental debate and basically deciding to buy a Dolmar 5100......I ended up at the freakin' hardware store and walked out with the MS 361. Until the 46cc Poulan I have dies (not long I am sure) this STIHL will be my only saw purchase and I was just nervous about leaving something on the table. That and being able to use a 25" bar "Just in case". I went to Cantelli Hardware is Easton, PA. I was treated very well, given a bunch of freebies including a non safety chain that you all recommended, and walked out $624 after taxes ($589 price). No I didn't steal it for sure but I feel good about the purchase and feel 100% that there is no chance I will wonder or regret it. My wallet is really light and it will be painful for a month or two but the years of use will be worth it.

Thanks to everyone here for the guidance. You really made me debate and research my question a bit harder and that helped. I feel a lot better about my choice today then I did last week. Thanks again.

Well, off to get a Huskee this afternoon after work. The mental debate continues........22 or 27 tons. We shall see!

yeah!!! I've already forgotten the price,I just love the saw:bowdown:

Interesting discussion since I'm looking for more of a middle ground saw but I keep hearing how great the 361 is. But I don't want excess weight.

Mostly I've been using a 170 but occassionally get into bigger trees for firewood. I have inherited a couple of ancient 20" saws (a Homelite SXL and a Stihl with no model on it) but they are heavy (15.5 and 16.5# with the bar and chain) and I'd like something more in the 10-11-12 pound range). Mostly the trees here that I'm cutting are 6-12" with a rare one up to 20". I figure a 16" bar would be good for me, I can drag out the old saws if I ever need more. Like the OP, I'll probably cut 5-6 cord a year here on the farm.

I did use the SXL for some cutting recently and it wore me out (okay, I'm 60).

I've been more toward the 50cc saws and I liked the feel of the Husky 353 or the Stihl 260. (Dealer support seems better with Husky here, Stihl is sold by the local Radio Shack store or the John Deere dealer.)

Comments? Thanks.

BTW, what's the right oil mix for the SXL? I've been using 32:1 Any idea on the old Stihl? The only marking on it is "Made in Germany".

Ken, for you the obvious selections would be the Stihl MS260, the Dolmar 5100S or the Husky 346XP. Any of those would be the cat's meow for 12" wood.

Ian

P.S. The 59cc 361 IS a middle ground saw considering that saws run from 30.1cc to 121.6ccs. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I should have said "current production" saw. At least that's the range of the Stihl line.

Ian

Ken, if you are not going to cut a lot of wood, I would recomend the Husky 350. A little less weight than the 346/353 and 260, quite a bit cheaper, and a rock solid performer.
If you are used to the older slower saws I can't really recomend the 346xp, the new one may be better, but the old one left me unimpressed.

For homeowner stuff on the Stihl side, I recommend the 250. It's always been a good performer with a rock solid rep. Even a lot of tree guys will use them for when they have to haul a bigger saw up top.

I also like the Husky 345 - very smooth runner and well balanced for a 16" bar.

Ken, Get the Dolmar 5100. It's the best saw for the money in it's class and a great performer. It's a 50cc lightweight modern design that has the power of a saw in the mid too high (56cc) range. It's also under $400!:cheers:

Back