STIHL 361 too much saw for me????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trout-

I recently went through the same process you are going through. Don't make the mistake I did and buy too small of a saw, thinking you'll only cut smaller stuff. I wound up going out and buying the MS361 afterwards. Not that I'm complaining about having two saws, mind you, but I should have done my research first.

If money isn't your top concern, I don't think the MS361 is overkill. It's a light, easy to use saw with plenty of capacity to run larger bars in bigger logs. You won't want to have to pass up some bigger logs at some point in the future because a smaller saw won't handle them.

Josh

Wow,I can tell you didn't post this in the "chainsaw" forum as nobody tried to talk you into buying a 7900 or a 660!Don't get me wrong....I love my 390XP but if I'm bucking wood for hours under18" diameter....then I want to be using the 357.A 60cc saw from a reputable dealer would serve you well.Good luck with your purchase.

Agreed but my logs sizes are made easy by being able to get them into the truck. I came lift some pretty hefty stuff but I cut some 24" white oak at 18" and I wasn't budging it on my own. I could maul it in half as an option. I'll be sure to check out both the 260 & 361 + Dolmar 5100 and 7900 (although I see the 7900 only goes as small as 20")

Last edited:
Nothing is more fun than ripping a big round through its side, making a huge pile of curly fries! Makes lifting them into the truck a whole lot easier.
My vote is for the 360/361 as I just replaced one that "grew legs & wandered off". I forgot how much fun cutting firewood and felling trees could be!

Nope. I've got an adapter on my 6401 that let's me run Stihl compatible bars. I could run a 16" on it if I wanted, and its the same chassis as the 7900. Years ago Gypo used to run a 16" on an 088. It looked crazy, but he swore by it.

...and by all means, stay off of the chainsaw forum.

I may ask more about this in the future as the 7900 is an appealing saw. I'm jsut most comfy with an 18" bar at this time and don't often need a larger one to get the job done.

The 361 is the saw you need. The only way it would be too much saw fo you is if you are 90 years old and in a wheelchair. :chainsaw:

Now buy and start thinking of excuses for why you need a 7900 also

The 361 is reputed to be very easy on fuel which is a plus at the price of petrol now!
And once you get used to the new found power a muffler mod will wake it up very easily.

I just got a 7900 and it came with an 18" bar and is perfectly balanced
Im told the 7900 uses the large Husky mount bars so most any size should be available
Welcome to AS!!

my wife runs my 361,has not had any problem handling it.personaly,I would rather spend the money 1 time and get a little overkill as compared to wwishing that I had.A 361 with a 20" bar will handle about anything you will need to cut and do it very well.

You guys........There is no over kill in a chainsaw purchase:chainsaw: It all depends on how fast or slow you want to cut. I go to the woods with a modded 357XP and a modded 346XP and buck everything with a 395XP. I want to GETERDONE!!!:clap:

All I cut is firewood. I got a 359 and I don't think the 361 is overkill at all. I cut about the same as you intend to do, 10 cords / year.

I just got a Dolmar 7900. Do I NEED the 7900? NO! Do I like the fact that I get through the larger wood in less time? Absolutely!!

I was cutting red oak this weekend that was about 34" in diameter, about a 40 foot section. I was very glad to have the 7900! Try that with the 260 or 359. Yes, you could do it but it will take a long time.

Get the 361, you won't regret it!

JD in SE PA

Well, right now it will be either the Dolmar 5100 or 7900 or the STIHL 361. I'm going to check all 3 out in the next few days and come home with one.

Trout, welcome to A-site.
Of the choices you have picked the 5100 is a great saw for the money. I wish they would have had it when I purchased my 353 husky.
The husky runs great with a 20 inch bar and .325 by .50 chain but it had to be woods ported to carry it well. The 5100 will do it well from what I've been reading and not need anything other than what you leave the dealer with to get the job done. If you need a bigger saw than go for it, but I had a 7900 dolmar and sold it because I never encounter the size wood that would require a big saw. 24" is about the max i come across and the 20" does fine.
I know it's always nice to have a bigger saw and more power than you need but don't forget your'e going to have to be carrying around the weight of a bigger saw all day too. All the saws you mentioned are excellent saws and would do the job very well. Just don't forget if you are going to be cutting all day how much weight can and are you willing to carry. 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. will make a difference in an 8 hr. period.
Thanks

Back