STIHL 361 too much saw for me????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a homelite sxl w/24" bar then got a makita dcs510 w/ 18" bar the 510 felt better but was slower to go thru the big stuff. then i came across a ms361 w/ 25" bar and it was a little heavier but went thru 30" round like butter. i'm new at this so it's still a learning process for me. i think i'm an addict, but that doesn't suprise me. now to learn more about this modding stuff, oh man.
thanks,
john
:censored:

I cut fire wood beech from 3" to 20" up to 10" I currently use a Ms180 over this i have a 038. i just bought the small saw as the 038 is very heavy to lug around for small timber. I would not recommend the ms180 to you but there is something nice about a saw with very small blade very little weight and costs next to nothing especially now you have a proper saw for the bigger stuff.

i have a homelite sxl w/24" bar

What is the right oil mix for a SXL? I have an old one I inherited. I've been using 32:1. Is that correct?

How does the SXL perform with a 24" bar? Mine has a 20".

Thanks,

Ken

Back to the original topic. I finally got a chance to the run the 361 and all I can say is wow........WOW! Night and day difference in saws. I took it easy on the saw today and felled a medium 16" Black Walnut and that saw just totally laid waste to that thing. I mean it did the 16" cut in around 10 seconds flat and that was with the safety chain. I'm going to cut with the safety chain for a few outings prior to putting on the more aggressive chain. That thing was just a dream to use and I was a little bummed when the 20 minutes later the entire tree was done. I could never go back to the Poulan for the big cuts again after that. It was great!!

Congrats on the 361. Now do this to it and you will REALLY have a sweet saw. This muffler mod completely makes it a new saw!!!! Then add an 8t rim sprocket...HELLO...BABY!!!!!:clap: :clap:
attachment.php

Husky 55 vs. Stihl 361

I guys. Does anyone have any experience comparing the Husky 55 to the Stihl 361? Can they be compared? I have the 55 and like it but I would love more power. I like the size but when I get into the bigger stuff it really works at it. I am wondering if switching to the 361 would make much of a difference? How about mods to the Husky to get better performance out of it? I know some of you guys like the sound of the older Stihls but their high pitched whine was why I bought the Husky even though all my partners use Stihl except one. Thanks for your input!

I guys. Does anyone have any experience comparing the Husky 55 to the Stihl 361? Can they be compared? I have the 55 and like it but I would love more power. I like the size but when I get into the bigger stuff it really works at it. I am wondering if switching to the 361 would make much of a difference? How about mods to the Husky to get better performance out of it? I know some of you guys like the sound of the older Stihls but their high pitched whine was why I bought the Husky even though all my partners use Stihl except one. Thanks for your input!

Hi, Welcome!!! The stihl ms361 has more power than a husky 55 and think it would be what you are looking for!!!

The 55 has 53cc's and the 361 has 59cc's. The 55 is 3.4hp and 11.4# and the 361 is 4.4hp and 12.3#. You can mufflre mod the 55 and get more out of it, but you won't reach the power of the 361.

There is no such thing as too much saw as far as I'm concerned. I could use my Poulan 295 or Stihl 028 to cut 16" Birch & Maple but some days the 044 is just more fun! :D

Congrats on your 361. My 310's days are numbered as the gf gave me permission (like I need it ;) ) to sell the 310 and put the money towards a 361.

Go ahead and get yourself non-safety chain. Just be sure to wear PPE.

Yes, I doubt I will be getting over 20" rounds anytime soon. I need to be able to lift it into the truck. I'm young and strong now but once I get over 20" those 18" long rounds start to get aweful heavy. I would like a saw to zip through the 18" rounds a lot faster then my 29cc poulan does. I eat a sandwich and have a cup of coffe right now while cutting through a 19" peice of oak. That's with a shape chain too! Takes forever.

LOL! Not at you..............with you. After a 15 year layoff from cutting wood I got blasted with a HUGE propane bill back in November, ordered 10 pole cords of wood from a supplier I still knew, got the chimney swept, the wood furnace serviced............................

.........and then I went out and picked up the Pro-Mac 610 I cut literally hundreds of cords of wood with many years ago..........

...........that sucker will buzz through whatever I can get it through but it is HEAVY.

Seems it was lighter at 35 years old than it is at 50 -- or maybe it's ME! Anyway bought a new Husky 353 and could not be happier with it. A few of the logs the supplier brought me were 24" + and that saw with an 18" blade had zero issues going through it.

Then I found this dang forum and all I can think of now is what the NEXT saw I buy is going to be............<GRIN>

lax:
You can have the 55 woods ported, not sure a muffler mod will gain a whole lot on that saw.
A woods port will cost around $250 and can make ains up to 70% depending on the saw, and how long you expect it to run.
If you are that power hungry now though, I would suggest a 70cc saw. The 361 will have more pep, the 440 will cut like butter and the 460 will blow you away!:heart:

It's worse than drugs man, I am telling you!

Thanks guys. All this info is great. I would consider a mod to the Husky 55 but my experience has been that the more you tweak or mod any engine you shorten the life span a great deal and you run the risk of it letting you down when you least want it to. If the mods you are talking about do not push the 55 to the raged edge of it's life and gets the power way up I would like to know more about it. I have taken real good care of this saw and I am kind of nuts about all my equipment working perfectly at all times.

I really like the size of the 55 but I just want some more power. It sounds like the 361 might be a good choice unless I can get the 55 to or past what the 361 can offer. I appreciate everyone's opinion. Keep them coming. I just started to look for a good used 361 with a 20" bar for sale just in case.

Same type question as the original post, let me give you a bit of history. Only been burning for about 3 years and the first year was coal, so 2 real years with wood. My bro inlaw suggested I start with a cheap low powered saw, since I had never used one before; naturally I chose a Poulan (lol!), infact I picked up the crappiest one I could see - saw the Poulan Wildthing at TSC and I was like, "Yup! That is the noob saw for me :p". The thing sucks to start, it stalls out and now I use it for crap work when I can borrow friends saws.

Last season I used my first Stihl, I borrowed a buddies MS650 with a 28" bar. What can I say, but "Oh my god!" This was one hell of a saw and I was fortunately some what skilled enough to use it (no lost limbs, no near misses and about 4 - 5 cords cut with it). He suggested that I might want to get a MS280 with a 20" bar. I'll probably be aiming for 8 - 9 cords of wood this year and the biggest log is going to be around 18 - 20" round.

Is the MS280 enough of a saw? would it be considered "abusive" to cut 8 - 9 cords with it?

Tes

Last edited:
Standard AS answer to that is: Get a 361!

Or a 440/441/460. Using a 650 is a beast, and if you can manage that, you need more saw than a 280. 361 is a great all-around saw that will cut with various bars, from 16 up to 24 inch. It will also hold up over the years, and well, its the 361.

Or a 440/441/460. Using a 650 is a beast, and if you can manage that, you need more saw than a 280. 361 is a great all-around saw that will cut with various bars, from 16 up to 24 inch. It will also hold up over the years, and well, its the 361.

Was just looking at the 361 specs, nice saw - expensive, lol :p This might take some savings, anyone have one off the back of a truck they no longer need? lol :p I think I'll head down to my local Stihl dealer and take a look at the 361, thanks dude :)

Tes

Thanks guys. All this info is great. I would consider a mod to the Husky 55 but my experience has been that the more you tweak or mod any engine you shorten the life span a great deal and you run the risk of it letting you down when you least want it to. If the mods you are talking about do not push the 55 to the raged edge of it's life and gets the power way up I would like to know more about it. I have taken real good care of this saw and I am kind of nuts about all my equipment working perfectly at all times.

I really like the size of the 55 but I just want some more power. It sounds like the 361 might be a good choice unless I can get the 55 to or past what the 361 can offer. I appreciate everyone's opinion. Keep them coming. I just started to look for a good used 361 with a 20" bar for sale just in case.

There's a near new one on the trading post for sale. But, before you do that consider a few things.

First off, you have a misconception about modifcations. Done properly, your saw will actually gain lifespan not lose it. Consider that the manufacturer has too satisfy many oversights that choke the saw down quite a bit. That said, I'd not spend the $250 or so too "woods port" a Husky 55. It's just not cost effective. A muffler mod a retune and you'd see some gains and the saw would run cooler. (cooler is better).

Now lets look at the 361 issue. You are looking for more power but like the size and ergonomics of your 55. The 361 will have more power but not a huge amount more, maybe 1hp and it's pricey. I have a feeling that you are looking for a single "do it all" saw that your comfortable with? If that's the case, you want a 70cc class saw. You'd have appreciably more power with only a small weight penalty. If I could only have one saw, this is where I'd look.

If you are only doing home firewood and are cutting hardwoods in your area of upstate NY, the 361 is an excellent choice all round saw but again quite pricey. You really ought to look at the Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401 for a well built upgradable all around solid firewood saw. At the moment you can get the Makita version new in the box for as little as $375. There is no better deal out there.:cheers:

If you are only doing home firewood and are cutting hardwoods in your area of upstate NY, the 361 is an excellent choice all round saw but again quite pricey. You really ought to look at the Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401 for a well built upgradable all around solid firewood saw. At the moment you can get the Makita version new in the box for as little as $375. There is no better deal out there.:cheers:

The 6400 is a heavy and large saw, and not that great power to weight ratio wise. If you want to try one out, go to Home Depot and rent one. Its only real 'value' that I can see is that you can update it to a 7900 for about $200 more. I would not rate it as a good all-around firewood saw though. Good bucking saw. Dolmar really does not hava a great saw in the 60cc class. If you want a Dolmar that is nimble and a ripping firewood saw, get the 5100s. In the 50cc class, Dolmar has the rest beat with that one. :chainsaw:

There's a near new one on the trading post for sale. But, before you do that consider a few things.

First off, you have a misconception about modifcations. Done properly, your saw will actually gain lifespan not lose it. Consider that the manufacturer has too satisfy many oversights that choke the saw down quite a bit. That said, I'd not spend the $250 or so too "woods port" a Husky 55. It's just not cost effective. A muffler mod a retune and you'd see some gains and the saw would run cooler. (cooler is better).

Now lets look at the 361 issue. You are looking for more power but like the size and ergonomics of your 55. The 361 will have more power but not a huge amount more, maybe 1hp and it's pricey. I have a feeling that you are looking for a single "do it all" saw that your comfortable with? If that's the case, you want a 70cc class saw. You'd have appreciably more power with only a small weight penalty. If I could only have one saw, this is where I'd look.

You make some points, but missed a few also. The problem with mufler modding the 55 is it's not as choked down as the newer saws, so you won't have the big gains you make on the newer ones, that's why I sugested the woods port.

If all the wood is going to be 18-20", I have to agree with the 70cc saw! The 361 will do it, a 310 will do it, but a 440 or larger will make it fun to do it!
Really, for no more wood you are looking at cutting, a 290 or 310 should work fine. I don't say the 390, because not much more and you are running a 361.
I was in you're situation a while back, torn between the 361 and the 390. I bought the 390. I have since sold it and replaced it with a 460! This is why I ALWAYS say look at what you think you need, then buy one class bigger!! That way when you run into that large tree that you need a longer bar for, AND YOU WILL, you have the saw for it!!
Three years ago if you would have told me I would put more time on a 460 than my trusty 350, I would have laughed at you!! Now days, I have to grab that saw and make excuses to use it so it gets run now and again.

I don't like the 6400, for the same reasons I don't like the 290 and 310, if you are going to carry the weight around you might as well have all the power. But I just recomend a 310 to you, so:monkey:

Or a 440/441/460. Using a 650 is a beast, and if you can manage that, you need more saw than a 280. 361 is a great all-around saw that will cut with various bars, from 16 up to 24 inch. It will also hold up over the years, and well, it's the 361.
+1! QFT. The MS 361 is the finest piece of equipment that you can possibly buy for collecting firewood. Take care of it and it will outlast you.

Get the Stihl MS 361!

Ya. That is why I said I don't want to start a product war. I've looked at the Dolmar and can do my own research. I have 2-3 dealers within miles of my house so I can explore that on my own. I guess we can take the question on the route of saw size. The 260 is slightly smaller by a full bhp then the 361. Will that equate to much quicker cut times? How about moding the 260? I just want to get in, get out, and get done!

i haven't read past this post, but the last line sums it up for me. i sold my ms260 pro when i got my dolmar 7900. i know, i know, not the same class, bigger saw, blah blah. but i picked the dolmar up on an auction and cut my cutting time in half.

if you are near central PA, hit me up with a private message and i'll let you try it. unless you already bought a new saw...

**goes back to finishing reading thread**

Latest posts

Back