Stihl 462 or 500i?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate all of your advice and opinions. I should have been clear that my mill is a Wood Mizer LX55, not one that uses a chainsaw. So I would just be sawing the trees down and logs to length. I'm starting to lean towards the 500..just seems right. Plus its model number matches my favorite handgun.. The 500 Smith and Wesson.
I bought a 462 and loved it so i bought a few more lol. but to be honest my 462s don't get the trigger time. i have been impressed with my 400s. my 500is 400c and 661s get more trigger time than my 462s lol.

West coast saw for 500i parts.

Wrap isnt needed if you dont fell big treese and buck wood on flat eastern land.

Wcs saw has 462 stuff too. I truly beleive its a flip a coin decision between these two saws
my dealer wanted to know the same thing and some logger buddies thought i was nuts too. but i love having a wrap, no our trees ain't that big as out west, but i have been on some steep hills that the wrap has come in handy. my one dealer has started to carry full wrap saws because more people are requesting them.

Most cant afford both at ounce thats wy the coin flip is required

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I went my gut and got the 500i. Love it so far but I've only cut cookies with it at this point. Putting a few upgrades on it like dogs, bark box and vibration kit right now. Can't wait to cut with it. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I went my gut and got the 500i. Love it so far but I've only cut cookies with it at this point. Putting a few upgrades on it like dogs, bark box and vibration kit right now. Can't wait to cut with it. Thanks again.
Well i think you will like your Christmas present. :) . I have an Egan Straight Shot on mine. i need to send it out to get ported one of these days

Well i think you will like your Christmas present. :) . I have an Egan Straight Shot on mine. i need to send it out to get ported one of these days
Can you give some honest feedback on the straight shot? Did you run it before and after? Did you opt for the deflector? They sure look like well built muffler covers.

Hey guys, I've been debating this for quite some time. Without rambling on I'll give what info I think is important. I currently have an ms 170 and 211. I really like both saws but my chainsaw repair buddy says it's time for a "big boy" saw. I do agree. I have a sawmill that I haven't used yet but plan to (I've been working out of town). We have 140 acres of all longleaf Pines that are maybe low 20's in diameter. I'll get some logs from local tree companies also. Trees in our area typically don't grow very large so I think either these saws will be fine as far as that goes. My main question is this: my buddy has a 462 and says it's no problem to work on at all (he's a chainsaw repair guy). His concern is that he has heard that the 500i will require software to diagnose /repair that may be exclusive to dealers only. I have watched every YouTube video/review of the 500i and I really like it. However partial I am to the 500i, what is your opinion considering my concerns? BTW, I'm not completely stuck on Stihl but I do like them and have had great luck with them.
I'll be decisive on this one: Husqvarna 395XP
😁😎
Amen

Can you give some honest feedback on the straight shot? Did you run it before and after? Did you opt for the deflector? They sure look like well built muffler covers.
I like them a lot, I have them on 8 saws i think🤷‍♂️ anyhow, I have one on my G660 saw that I use on my logosol CM that I have had for 2 yrs. now and no issues, I know some people claim it will melt the cover🤦‍♂️ but it won't. If it would have melted the case and cover it would have been this Stihl knock off, and I would have noticed it. I do run my CM at 32:1, so Ya the case is a bit black, who cares, it's a work saw not a shelf queen LOL. Jason's customer service is top notch, I use Him and Tree Monkey to do my port work. I have not tried the deflector yet. people have them on their saw and love them. the quality is better than the WCS BB, and better priced too. and there is a guy that compared the two, and the Egan S.S. kept saw cooler, and cut a bit faster.

I like them a lot, I have them on 8 saws i think🤷‍♂️ anyhow, I have one on my G660 saw that I use on my logosol CM that I have had for 2 yrs. now and no issues, I know some people claim it will melt the cover🤦‍♂️ but it won't. If it would have melted the case and cover it would have been this Stihl knock off, and I would have noticed it. I do run my CM at 32:1, so Ya the case is a bit black, who cares, it's a work saw not a shelf queen LOL. Jason's customer service is top notch, I use Him and Tree Monkey to do my port work. I have not tried the deflector yet. people have them on their saw and love them. the quality is better than the WCS BB, and better priced too. and there is a guy that compared the two, and the Egan S.S. kept saw cooler, and cut a bit faster.
Thank you for your reply! I am probably going to give one a try on my 500i. I also plan to get one of his foam filter setups.

I bought a 462 two years back. Last month I moved the 462. Replaced it with a ported 400 and then bought a 500. At present here is my 4 saw plan. MS241CM - 16 inch bar, MS261CM ported - 18 inch bar, MS400CM ported - 20 inch light bar, MS500i - 25 inch light bar. I can't decide which saw is my favorite between 400 and 500.

I think it would come down to how long do you plan to own the 500i or 462? I recently purchased a 462 non m-tronic because I want to work on the saw myself and plan to keep if for decades - if not longer. Also, I have wanted a 462 for the better part of 5 years. If I though I would be buying another big saw in the next 5-10 years I would go for the 500i.

I think it would come down to how long do you plan to own the 500i or 462? I recently purchased a 462 non m-tronic because I want to work on the saw myself and plan to keep if for decades - if not longer. Also, I have wanted a 462 for the better part of 5 years. If I though I would be buying another big saw in the next 5-10 years I would go for the 500i.
MTrons aren't as hard to work on as you think.

I don't have decades left on the clock, so I don't worry about that stuff. LOL

MTrons aren't as hard to work on as you think.
More for the cost, availability, and serviceability. I feel like I can clean and rebuild a traditional carb as if I was on auto pilot and for little to no cost. Compared to an m-tropic’s electrical components or fuel solenoid valve having problems it’s not as easy. Not that it’s hard. Just not as easy due to my lack of knowledge of the system in diagnosis and repair.

Latest posts

Back