Stihl announces layoffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Stihl as a fun toy, but if I was just looking for the most practical way to cut wood, it would have been an Echo, no question. I'd expect most companies and municipalities to make the purely practical choice, not the fun one, especially if they're going for a fleet of saws
I use saws to work on the farm and lawn service, but I'm like you, buy what I want and I will be the one using them. No bean counters or supervisers to answer as to why I paid $100 more for one brand over the other.

I stumbled across an interesting report from Stihl corporate. It's pdf and a "read only" format, copy and paste not available so I screenshot a few interesting bits. The first, Stihl celebrating "unprecedented growth" through the pandemic requiring the hiring of 1000 new employees at the Virginia Beach facility.
The 2nd, the fallout when the world went back to "normal"

It sounds like many of these positions were filled by contract workers from temp services. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of how many long term employees were let go.

Screenshot_20230828_032144_Adobe Acrobat.jpgScreenshot_20230828_031957_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The full report can be read here

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:4ed62f4f-83e6-3c2d-bebd-438a753fe6bd

Stihl is still doing well in this area and we have a good selection of dealers. I don't know of any dealer dropping them here. We have a few good servicing Echo dealers, but Husqvarna servicing dealers are very scarce.

Stihl is doing well here also, but Jellyroll has a point.

I bought a Stihl as a fun toy, but if I was just looking for the most practical way to cut wood, it would have been an Echo, no question. I'd expect most companies and municipalities to make the purely practical choice, not the fun one, especially if they're going for a fleet of saws
Local public works department switched from stihl to Maruyama / Echo over a recurring problem.
1. Lack of service parts, service data
2. Dealers only offering sales and not service
3. Pricing, quality and quantities of ordered equipment not fulfilled.
I know what you are thinking try another dealer but this is stemming from both local dealers. I think besides stihl cutting back their working force they should enforce better policies to keep their money flow from getting interrupted from so called problems they created.

The shift in this area is towards homeowner equipment. When I started in 81, pro cutters were the mainstay of the shop. As those guys aged out (or passed away), there was not a younger generation to follow. Actually, the same is happening with repair shops that actually do repairs.
I think that is when I noticed more and more bad fuel also Pro cutters did not have this problem.
But I digress
Which one of the major manufacturers are selling at significantly less pricing? Don't see it in my area.

Battery powered chainsaw might be okay for little stuff around the house but that's about it..
I'll have say though that I really like my battery powered weed eater. I'll like them better if they ever come up with a battery that doesn't weigh so much..

Battery is likely for a lot of people that don't have a lot of gas powered experience. Getting a gas powered blower, mower, saw, etc. can be a very frustrating effort for many. Gas on the other hand is for serious hard work. I don't see battery replacing my 5 to 6 cords of wood cutting per year, ever.

It isn't parts shortage, it isn't revenue reduction. They are closing the plants that build gas powered equipment and opening plants in China to build battery powered equipment.
This has nothing to do with consumer preference. It's ESG investing forcing companies to move away from ICE products in favor of battery products.
You are correct sir. They are paying thief penitence to the globalists. ALL must feel the pain of “climate change”…it’s just their turn in the hammer mill!

Stihl put it self out with their pricing. Dealers are dropping them here over poor sales and other brands are coming in to replace them.
Why buy a Stihl made in Romania or China when you can buy an Echo made in Japan or here (USA) for about 2/3rds the price of a comparable Stihl. Don't get me wrong, I have 3 Stihl's (2 are shelf queens and I use one regularly but. any new saw I buy now is an Echo. About to buy an Echo gas handlebar trimmer as well. My ancient Stihl FS66 is needing replaced soon. Besides, Echo makes the best string head of anyone.

Echo quality is high and stays there (IMO). My farm tractor dealer just took on Echo as a value added segment. Because I work there part time, I'm hoping I can buy a new trimmer at cost...lol

Candidly, I much prefer the older Stihl gas powered saws over the new ones (electronic fuel injection) and Whole Stihl offers a battery powered line, so does Echo. Having said that I'm not gonna buy one.

I look at battery powered saws like battery powered cars (EV'S). Not gonna happen here, ever and interestingly, the buying public (for the most part) aren't buying EV's because of one, their limited range, two, charging issues, three, initial high cost and four, the government pushing them. All the automakers have them stacked up in holding lots (especially Fords and the Lightening pickup trucks), all sitting there waiting to catch fire.

Battery powered automobiles are just not ready for prime time and neither are battery powered chainsaws in my humble opinion.

Maybe in 20 years, but not now.

Why buy a Stihl made in Romania or China when you can buy an Echo made in Japan or here (USA) for about 2/3rds the price of a comparable Stihl. Don't get me wrong, I have 3 Stihl's (2 are shelf queens and I use one regularly but. any new saw I buy now is an Echo. About to buy an Echo gas handlebar trimmer as well. My ancient Stihl FS66 is needing replaced soon. Besides, Echo makes the best string head of anyone.

Echo quality is high and stays there (IMO). My farm tractor dealer just took on Echo as a value added segment. Because I work there part time, I'm hoping I can buy a new trimmer at cost...lol

Candidly, I much prefer the older Stihl gas powered saws over the new ones (electronic fuel injection) and Whole Stihl offers a battery powered line, so does Echo. Having said that I'm not gonna buy one.

I look at battery powered saws like battery powered cars (EV'S). Not gonna happen here, ever and interestingly, the buying public (for the most part) aren't buying EV's because of one, their limited range, two, charging issues, three, initial high cost and four, the government pushing them. All the automakers have them stacked up in holding lots (especially Fords and the Lightening pickup trucks), all sitting there waiting to catch fire.

Battery powered automobiles are just not ready for prime time and neither are battery powered chainsaws in my humble opinion.

Maybe in 20 years, but not now.

Echo has parts manufactured in China the same as anyone else. The important part is that the company (echo, stihl, etc) hold the Chinese parts manufacturers to an acceptable standard which they both do, for the most part. Echo has an advantage in price, and rightfully so, due in part to their somewhat antiquated architecture.

Echo has parts manufactured in China the same as anyone else. The important part is that the company (echo, stihl, etc) hold the Chinese parts manufacturers to an acceptable standard which they both do, for the most part. Echo has an advantage in price, and rightfully so, due in part to their somewhat antiquated architecture.
Care to provide a link to substantiate your claim? If not, it's just conjecture on your part and nothing more. Furthermore, what is 'antiquated architecture' supposed to imply or is that just your unsubstantiated opinion again? Just because Echo don't offer any FI saws, don't make them antiquated at all and furthermore they do offer a pretty complete line of battery powered saws (that I'd never buy anyway because I don't do battery powered saws in the first place, well, not saws actually. I do have 2 battery powered pole saws and neither one is an Echo or a Stihl.

I made a post a few months back about how Stihl needs to sell online. Amazon sells a ton of Husky models, even if they are different colors. People are lazy today and would rather have a package delivered on their porch than walk into a store and buy something. How are people too lazy to walk into a store to buy a saw and yet still use it? I have watched this very scenario in action many times.

Care to provide a link to substantiate your claim? If not, it's just conjecture on your part and nothing more. Furthermore, what is 'antiquated architecture' supposed to imply or is that just your unsubstantiated opinion again? Just because Echo don't offer any FI saws, don't make them antiquated at all and furthermore they do offer a pretty complete line of battery powered saws (that I'd never buy anyway because I don't do battery powered saws in the first place, well, not saws actually. I do have 2 battery powered pole saws and neither one is an Echo or a Stihl.

https://www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/english/corporate/group/
1693346309251.png

Echo still uses old school carburetors, no Autotune or M-tronic equivalent.

April 2023 they were boasting about record revenues for 2021 and 2022 as a whole.

Whats that tell ya. ;) Charging to much.

Talking stihl as a whole. US is just a pee on IMO as their profits are overseas if you read.
Record revenue doesn’t mean record profit, or ANY profit. It COULD mean that, but the hyperinflation we’re dealing with effects a manufacturers costs just as it affects families and individuals costs. The inflation is squeezing everyone, but of course, hurts the families with limited income. Everyone has to eat and have a roof. it takes a bigger hunk out of folks paychecks to do that so there’s not only less money for people to buy equipment for their own use, but it’s tougher to come up with money to spare for tree work.

I won’t get into politics here, but we are headed for some tough times. It’s not a matter of IF it will happen, it will. The only question is WHEN. Now is a VERY good time to be living within your means.

Geez, someone triggers easily 😂
Not really, I just don't suffer fools readily and while YOU didn't answer the first part (someone else did) care to answer the second part?

In reality, just about everything you buy in the realm of hard goods will have some Chinese parts in them or in the case of a clone saw, all Chinese and of questionable quality as well.

Like I've said in the past... Better get proficient with eating with chopsticks and consuming raw fish when the Chinese take over this country and the way it's going, it won't be long either.

Like the Beatles crooned many years ago... 'I like Chinese, they are cute, cuddly and willing to please' and today, that really rings true. Enjoy your freedom because it very well could come to an end.

It’s not a matter of IF it will happen, it will. The only question is WHEN. Now is a VERY good time to be living within your means.
Very SAGE advice. Those that don't will be left holding the bag and that bag will be empty. Gonna be some very good bargains in hard goods coming down the pike as people who are over extended will either have to unload hard goods or face repossession. When people have to choose between feeding their face and unloading hard goods, the face thing always wins. Being a farmer and being financially secure, I'm closely watching the used late model tractor market.

Not really, I just don't suffer fools readily and while YOU didn't answer the first part (someone else did) care to answer the second part?
My apologies that I wasn't waiting around to provide you proof of something a fan Boi like yourself should have already known.
I'd of gladly elaborated had you asked in a civilized manner. Act like a **********, get treated like a **********.
Do your own research. Preferably before you make ignorant comments like this.

Why buy a Stihl made in Romania or China when you can buy an Echo made in Japan or here (USA)

Husky has had their own problems as of late with parts availability and shuttering a plant in the US.

The drop off of sales of hobby sports and home improvement bits are the tale tell signs of the beginning of an economic downturn. 'Cept we've really been here for some time. Paint sales have been in the gutters all year. Things are gonna get worse.
Has there been a reduction in paint prices? I hope so as they went through the roof.......including the roof paint.

I made a post a few months back about how Stihl needs to sell online. Amazon sells a ton of Husky models, even if they are different colors. People are lazy today and would rather have a package delivered on their porch than walk into a store and buy something. How are people too lazy to walk into a store to buy a saw and yet still use it? I have watched this very scenario in action many times.
Why not have it delivered to your door ?? When you drive (gas) to a store that has nincompoops that don't even acknowledge a customer is present.. Most stuff you want or ask for the reply is " I can get it Tuesday, what's your number ? And what little service there is three or four weeks out. If you have to find it yourself, service it yourself, who needs a store/dealer ? Used to be able to go the hardware store and get results..... By the way the whole scenario pisses me off.

Why not have it delivered to your door ?? When you drive (gas) to a store that has nincompoops that don't even acknowledge a customer is present.. Most stuff you want or ask for the reply is " I can get it Tuesday, what's your number ? And what little service there is three or four weeks out. If you have to find it yourself, service it yourself, who needs a store/dealer ? Used to be able to go the hardware store and get results..... By the way the whole scenario pisses me off.
You are also "out on your own" if you have a warranty thing. Go play with yourself while you wait on line then send it back UPS.

Latest posts

Back