Stihl announces layoffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since some didnt know this and it was shared on one link to show them.

Another right from another link. Todays echo = Shindaiwa Incorporated, another Japanese manufacturer of outdoor power tools and agricultural machinery, merged with Kioritz Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Echo Incorporated, to form Yamabiko Corporation in 2008.

ECHO chain saws are made and assembled in Japan, China, and the United States (head office at Lake Zurich).

Like all outdoor power equipment, ECHO crafts chainsaws from foreign and domestic parts and components sourced worldwide.

The brand has numerous manufacturing and assembly hubs. These include their Chinese plant in Shenzhen, and those in Yokosuka and Morioka, Japan. The company is headquartered in Tokyo.

Their US headquarters are in Lake Zurich, Illinois, where they employ over 800 people.

I like the products they are putting out today myself for the average farm, homeowner, firewood folks.

Much worse actually in the time Joey two scoops has left in office as he does what he's told to do by Obama and Valerie Jarett. All he is concerned with is filling hos pockets with illegally obtained money and bolstering his inflated ego.

I have a buddy who has a Husky zero turn that has been residing in his dealer's shop for 2 months now, waiting for repair parts to show up and he's been paying a lawn service to mow his acre lawn. Probably a gummed up carb issue as he don't comprehend the corn alcohol laced motor fuel debacle. Told him I'd go fetch it and fix it for him. Just needs the carb taken apart and given a heated ultrasonic bath in Berryman's B12 Chem Tool and probably a new inline fuel filter and gummy fuel hose replacement as well. Replacing the cheap rubber hose with Tygon fuel line eliminates that gummy hose issue. E-gas destroys the internal hose and deposits gummy residue everywhere from the gas tank to the fuel filter.

Good lord, carburetors sucked ass compared to even the first throttle body fuel injected vehicles back in the 80's.
Fair statement but EFI on motor vehicles (not diesel powered ones) only gassers has progressed to the point where reliability and overall fuel mileage has increased exponentially. Pretty tickled my Focus RS Turbo goes like a scalded dog when I want it to but still returns 39.5 to 40 mpg when I drive it conservatively. it's only issue is, it's a GDI engine so cleaning the dry intake tract is mandatory and something I do at every oil change plus I have a catch can installed on the crankcase breather system to catch the oil vapor and condense it so I can dispose of it. Most all GDI engines today now have a pilot injector in the intake tract which eliminates the carbon buildup in the intake tract in the head which occurs from the inherent heat of combustion.

That don't apply to a 2 stroke chainsaw and in reality owners don't care in the first place. It's gets low on fuel and bar oil, you fill it back up and it don't hold that much in the first place so who cares anyway.

Stihl did the computer controlled carb deal to appease the pollution police as well as the noise police with their extremely choked off mufflers and Echo did the same deal but it's easy to mod the mufflers. not easy to mod the jugs.

All my saws have modded muffs and modded air filters (in the case of the Echo Timber Bear because the stock filter lacks the proper sealing ability) so it got a Red Beard oiled foam velocity stack air cleaner as well as the modded muffler. No exceptions. None of them have modded carbs because I won't own any in the first place.

I believer the current trend toward battery powered chain saws is mostly to appease the 'Green New Deal' advocates and the Klaus Schwab wannabees. and nothing more and there will never be a Li powered saw here on this farm. Besides, looking at where the 'rare earth' minerals are mined at and how they use in-slaved labor to mine them, totally goes against my core philosophies.

You are also "out on your own" if you have a warranty thing. Go play with yourself while you wait on line then send it back UPS.
About two hours ago I called the local Advance Auto.. Asked for blinker lights for a Jeep CJ-7.. It's an 82.. I did not expect them to have them in stock.. But the reply was, " we can't get them".. Really...... Hung up the phone and called Amazon, in three minutes I had them ordered and on the way to my door... I would much rather support a local business but this is what a person is faced with.. Only other choice would be a junk yard... That means taking time off work to drive to their yard during their business hours to get used parts, or order on -line delivered to the door.

Interesting. I went on Amazon because I need a new hood bug deflector for my 1997 OBS Ford F350 and Amazon had one so I put it in my shopping cart which I build up to the point of free shipping as I don't need the stuff ASAP anyway but I stopped at Advance Auto up town and inquired about one there and it was in stock at another store so they will have it at my store on Tuesday. The most interesting part was they were 8 bucks less that Amazon so I'm having them get it for me. I was very surprised at the cost difference and it was the exact same part too. AVS hood deflector in smoke Lexan. They do crack after a while, I'm on my 3rd one.

Actually, my favorite on line auto parts places are Rock Auto and 1A Auto. I buy most all my auto parts from them unless it's a 'gotta have it now' deal then it's the local NAPA or a discount auto parts store (if they have it, that is). The local NAPA seems to have everything but at a price.

I like the products they are putting out today myself for the average farm, homeowner, firewood folks.
IMO, their top handle arborists saws are killers (with a muffler mod that is). and half the price of a comparable Stihl top handle (the one I ran over) and flattened with my buddy's bucket truck... Totally my fault but I wasn't about to pay another 700 bucks for a top handle. My money don't grow on trees here. I find myself using that little saw more than my bigger ones because it's so easy to handle plus it always starts on the first pull.

It seems to be a global issue despite some thoughts in this thread. China has been scaling back production since early this year with some factories closing all together. China is slowly losing its competitive edge although they still got us beat by a long shot.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20230424PD219/bankruptcy-china-manufacturing-supply-chain.html

This reminds me of a conversation I had with an uncle some time ago. He was a manager at Lincoln Electric and oversaw the project to install the largest windmill in Ohio to provide power for the plant. He said Lincoln had not had any layoffs in several decades. He believes the last one was somewhere around the time frame of the Korean War. That's a pretty big accomplishment for a larg(ish) company.
I remember conversation with my old man about the company he worked for had never laid anyone off and how stable they were. This was mid 90s. Year and half later they had him reapply for his job (he had 25 years in). If he wasn’t selected, he lost his job. He elected to take early out at 54. They were replacing tenured folks with young college grads for half the salary.

My point is our very best companies who have had the backs of their employees for many years, when faced with shareholders and profit expectations, the workers can quickly become fodder. Even the best companies.

Actually, my favorite on line auto parts places are Rock Auto and 1A Auto. I buy most all my auto parts from them unless it's a 'gotta have it now' deal then it's the local NAPA or a discount auto parts store (if they have it, that is). The local NAPA seems to have everything but at a price.
I used to use NAPA exclusively. But they have changed.. I've had good luck with Rock Auto but not for everything.. That's good news on the price difference you found. I've learned some new ways of shopping, such as checking an on-line price(s) before purchasing.. I find it kinda disturbing riding around and or phone shopping for something when you can have it sent to your door without filling the fuel tank.

I remember conversation with my old man about the company he worked for had never laid anyone off and how stable they were. This was mid 90s. Year and half later they had him reapply for his job (he had 25 years in). If he wasn’t selected, he lost his job. He elected to take early out at 54. They were replacing tenured folks with young college grads for half the salary.

My point is our very best companies who have had the backs of their employees for many years, when faced with shareholders and profit expectations, the workers can quickly become fodder. Even the best companies.
Ronnie Regan all over again. Companies taking a dump on peoples pensions and retirements. Investors and shareholders, nothing like good ole Greed...

Fair statement but EFI on motor vehicles (not diesel powered ones) only gassers has progressed to the point where reliability and overall fuel mileage has increased exponentially. Pretty tickled my Focus RS Turbo goes like a scalded dog when I want it to but still returns 39.5 to 40 mpg when I drive it conservatively. it's only issue is, it's a GDI engine so cleaning the dry intake tract is mandatory and something I do at every oil change plus I have a catch can installed on the crankcase breather system to catch the oil vapor and condense it so I can dispose of it. Most all GDI engines today now have a pilot injector in the intake tract which eliminates the carbon buildup in the intake tract in the head which occurs from the inherent heat of combustion.

That don't apply to a 2 stroke chainsaw and in reality owners don't care in the first place. It's gets low on fuel and bar oil, you fill it back up and it don't hold that much in the first place so who cares anyway.

Stihl did the computer controlled carb deal to appease the pollution police as well as the noise police with their extremely choked off mufflers and Echo did the same deal but it's easy to mod the mufflers. not easy to mod the jugs.

All my saws have modded muffs and modded air filters (in the case of the Echo Timber Bear because the stock filter lacks the proper sealing ability) so it got a Red Beard oiled foam velocity stack air cleaner as well as the modded muffler. No exceptions. None of them have modded carbs because I won't own any in the first place.

I believer the current trend toward battery powered chain saws is mostly to appease the 'Green New Deal' advocates and the Klaus Schwab wannabees. and nothing more and there will never be a Li powered saw here on this farm. Besides, looking at where the 'rare earth' minerals are mined at and how they use in-slaved labor to mine them, totally goes against my core philosophies.
Compensating carbs not only help with emmissions, but also with performance and reliability.
Most guys can't tune a carb to save their lives.

I used to use NAPA exclusively. But they have changed.. I've had good luck with Rock Auto but not for everything.. That's good news on the price difference you found. I've learned some new ways of shopping, such as checking an on-line price(s) before purchasing.. I find it kinda disturbing riding around and or phone shopping for something when you can have it sent to your door without filling the fuel tank.
Been going to NAPA since before I could drive. Quality parts and employees that knew their stuff, back then. Now, they have the same junk as any other parts store - parts and employees both. I don't need Autozone level parts and help from a guy who was the lead fry cook at McD's the week before. I can look up parts and special order them myself. No, you don't need to know 2wd or 4wd to look up a headlight bulb. Unless I need something right away, RockAuto is it for me as well. Napa is going to go the way of Sears Roebuck when Amazon came around.

In addition to a good selection and good parts, RockAuto still has wiper blade refills, and oil filters for a couple bucks a piece if you're not picky on brand.

Stihl is doing well here also, but Jellyroll has a point.

I bought a Stihl as a fun toy, but if I was just looking for the most practical way to cut wood, it would have been an Echo, no question. I'd expect most companies and municipalities to make the purely practical choice, not the fun one, especially if they're going for a fleet of saws
I agree, Echo!

Latest posts

Back