Stihl bar oil problem with an MS-362CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I own a Stihl 362CM and 461. I pulled the 25" bar off the 461 and put it on my 362CM and it seemed to work fine when I test ran it at the house. When I went to the 'field' something happened to the oil flow. I checked my gas and oil and discovered that I was only using 25% of the oil I was with the 20" bar.

What should I be looking at? Is a port blocked in the bar? Is an orifice in the 362CM blocked? How do I adjust the oil flow to max it out (the 20" bar ran pretty wet so, it's been a long time since I even considered that option)? I'm running Stihl "orange bottle" chain oil. Is it possible something is wrong with the chain oil itself which smells fine and visually looks good.

The owners manual is lacking so, any help is appreciated! ;)

TIA,
Sid

First thing to try is dump your oil, then rinse it out with gas mix, dump again. Fill back halfway with gas mix, remove the bar/chain, and run the saw a little to get that gas mix into and through the oiler system, and run a bit and watch the
output hole. Many times this breaks up any clogs in the system.

Make sure the screw on the bottom of the saw is turned all the way to the right for max oil output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What brand are the 2 bars? Compare the oil ports and exact locations. You stating the 25" uses only 25% the oil that the 20" uses, would tend to point to a bar issue.

Both are Stihl Rolla-matics (sp?). The dealer that sold me the bars sold me both saws too. If he wasn't 30 minutes away or I could get away from work, I would stop by and show him

With the 20" bar 1 tank of gas uses 1 tank of chain oil. With the 25" bar 1 tank of gas uses 1/4th (or less) of a tank of chain oil.

;) My 362Cm did that with an 18" bar. Went back to the dealer, and bought the oil they use. Not the orange bottle, but this platinum. I also increased the oil flow.
Stihl Platinum Bar Oil.jpg

Back